Another School Shooting

Speaker to Animals

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:09 pm

DrYouth wrote:
DBTrek wrote:I would argue that you have it your way, we have it ours.
Thanks.
Carry on.
Yep...

I can do that.

But seriously, you think this is working out?

This is the problem with your line of reasoning:

In the 1960s, boys used to bring their knives and rifles to school. No problem. The Texas sniper was a huge deal because it was so aberrant, and we know the problem there wasn't the guns but a tumor in the man's brain. Even as a child, I would go to summer camp, and they would teach us to shoot. In fact, in elementary school you could pretty much bring a knife for a scouting event no problem, but all that began to change in the mid-1980s when the South Americans flooded into our communities and brought the drug violence with them. Blacks were still violent as usual, but they weren't fucking up our schools at that point because they went to their own schools that required stricter rules appropriate to their demographic.

Nobody wants to admit these facts because "diversity is our strength" and all that, but it's true.

The problem is not the guns. If you took away all the guns, people would be using bombs, trucks, acid, knives, whatever.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Has anyone here heard of the Bath school massacre? Because I certainly hadn't, until today

Devastating
The Bath School disaster, sometimes known as the Bath School massacre, was a series of violent attacks perpetrated by Andrew Kehoe on May 18, 1927, in Bath Township, Michigan, which killed 38 elementary schoolchildren and six adults and injured at least 58 other people. Kehoe killed his wife and firebombed his farm, then detonated an explosion in the Bath Consolidated School before committing suicide by detonating a final device in his truck.

Almost simultaneously, an explosion devastated the north wing of the Bath Consolidated School building, killing 36 schoolchildren and two teachers. Kehoe had used a timed detonator to ignite hundreds of pounds of dynamite and incendiary pyrotol, which he had secretly planted inside the school over the course of many months. As rescuers began working at the school, Kehoe drove up, stopped, and used a rifle to detonate dynamite inside his shrapnel-filled truck, killing himself, the school superintendent, and several others nearby, as well as injuring more bystanders. During rescue efforts at the school, searchers discovered an additional 500 pounds (230 kg) of unexploded dynamite and pyrotol connected to a timing device set to detonate at the same time as the first explosions; the material was hidden throughout the basement of the south wing. Kehoe had apparently intended to blow up and destroy the entire school.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster
Last edited by pineapplemike on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:10 pm

We could point to pretty much anything in a free society, cite the worst abuses of it, and ask “Seriously, you think this is working out?”

And the answer is yes.
Compared to the alternatives, Liberty is working out pretty well.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:10 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:All firearms are powerful, by design, there's no such thing as a powerless firearm, "just ban the powerful ones"; gun grabber prohibition by default fallacy.
No...

Make it tougher to earn the privilege to own any firarm... especially for ding dongs like this guy...
That's not the American way. A right is a right, you don't make it tougher for people to exercise a right, that's tyranny by stealth.
Nec Aspera Terrent

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

I would think that amending the Constitution should be the first step gun control advocates take towards addressing the gun control issue, that would do away with that pesky human rights argument

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 pm

pineapplemike wrote:I would think that amending the Constitution should be the first step gun control advocates take towards addressing the gun control issue, that would do away with that pesky human rights argument
Been there done that, and it backfired on a massive scale. Whiskey kills, whiskey destroys men and families, but the Volstead Act was worse, the Volstead Act destroyed the credibility of the state, for generations to come, a nation of drunkards became a nation of scofflaws, and it's still that way to this day, the Prohibitionists had their chance, and it was a disaster.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:That's not the American way. A right is a right, you don't make it tougher for people to exercise a right, that's tyranny by stealth.
Ya I get....

But I don't envy them this particular right...

Don't want every chump picking up firearms....

You call it Tyranny... I call it Civilization.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:That's not the American way. A right is a right, you don't make it tougher for people to exercise a right, that's tyranny by stealth.
Ya I get....

But I don't envy them this particular right...

Don't want every chump picking up firearms....

You call it Tyranny... I call it Civilization.
It's not hard for a chump to get a firearm here, pay $100, take a one day course a monkey could pass, done and done.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Otern

Post by Otern » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Am at work so I haven't got time to look it up, can anyone tell me if there are any other countries in the world who consider owning guns a right rather than a privilege?
Historically, many cultures have considered bearing arms a natural right. The norse cultures specifically forbid taking the seax away from thralls, so even though they were slaves, the right to self defense was considered a natural right for all humans, even though they were not "persons" in modern context.

Currently the Czechs consider firearm ownership a right. Some provinces in Pakistan too.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:22 pm

You want an automatic firearm in Canada? That's $200 and a two day course a monkey could pass.
Nec Aspera Terrent