What show are you watching right now?

heydaralon

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by heydaralon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:11 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I thought that was a boy until almost the finale :lol:
Don't spoil anything, but does the season wrap up nicely? So far it is a steep decline from season 1.
I've only watched season 2, but it was very satisfying, yes.

Again though, I'm mainly interested in the setting and backdrop. It's basically a very long, classic horror movie.
I like the retro feel of it as well.

I'm gonna stop bugging you on this GCF, but you really should watch the Wire. Just watch the first three episodes of season 1, and if you hate it, I won't bug you again, but I'm telling you this will change how you evaluate television. I'm not trolling you. My favorite show ever by wide margins. You will enjoy it. All the things you complain about in terms of corruption, ineffectiveness, and systematic failure of US politics and economics are addressed in this show. There is some Shakespeare level writing going on in David Simon's show.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:36 pm

heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I thought that was a boy until almost the finale :lol:
Don't spoil anything, but does the season wrap up nicely? So far it is a steep decline from season 1.
It ends better than it begins, but Season 2 is still a step down from Season 1.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:37 pm

heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Again though, I'm mainly interested in the setting and backdrop. It's basically a very long, classic horror movie.

I'm gonna stop bugging you on this GCF, but you really should watch the Wire. Just watch the first three episodes of season 1, and if you hate it, I won't bug you again, but I'm telling you this will change how you evaluate television. I'm not trolling you. My favorite show ever by wide margins. You will enjoy it. All the things you complain about in terms of corruption, ineffectiveness, and systematic failure of US politics and economics are addressed in this show. There is some Shakespeare level writing going on in David Simon's show.
I'm rewatching it as we speak, about to start Season 2.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:45 pm

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I'm rewatching it as we speak, about to start Season 2.
While it is my favorite show, the Wire has a few things I'd like to change. Season 3 is great, but I was not a big fan of the bowtie character Brother Mouzone. He feels cartoonish and doesn't seem to fit in that universe, though supposedly he is based on some Nation of Islam stuff and Baltimore legends. I thought it was also a bit silly that Lester sold the cell phones back to the drug dealers. But those are minor quibbles. The Avon and Stringer conflict in season 3 was such incredible writing and acting. They were both right and wrong! Avon learned that Stringer was right about games beyond the game, but Stringer went over his head and got played hard by Senator Davis and the developers, which Avon anticipated. What is really interesting about the Stanfield/Barksdale war is that Marlo's victory was not a fait accompli. It seemed like Avon was only half trying to fend off Marlo, and at the end of the season, Slim had the drop on him and chris at that rim shop. Had Avon not been arrested, Slim would have taken them out and ended that war right there. Marlo did not realize how close he was to death. Great fucking writing. I also watch the wire once a year, along with the sopranos. What is your favorite season Capps?
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Capps, what are your thoughts on Ziggy? I am on the fence about him. He was annoying and over his head, but I think they were trying to show that he had gifts that were not applicable to his environment. He was not suited for drug dealing, hijacking, and dockwork. Had his parents been middle class white collar workers, he probably could have done quite well for himself.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:09 pm

My favorite season is Season 4, that season finale Final Grades is one of the best episodes in television history, but Season 3 is a close second, to the point where I often change my mind about which of the two season is actually my favorite.

Ziggy is a fuck up, just like his dad, "You're more like me than you know". At least Ziggy got to live, even if he's getting ass raped in jail. Sure he could be annoying at times, but that was part of his charm, to me anyway. It wasn't me he was annoying, it was everyone in the show, his lack of street smarts I found to be amusing, even if the characters on the show didn't usually see it that way.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:22 pm

StCapps wrote:My favorite season is Season 4, that season finale Final Grades is one of the best episodes in television history, but Season 3 is a close second, to the point where I often change my mind about which of the two season is actually my favorite.

Ziggy is a fuck up, just like his dad, "You're more like me than you know". At least Ziggy got to live, even if he's getting ass raped in jail. Sure he could be annoying at times, but that was part of his charm, to me anyway. It wasn't me he was annoying, it was everyone in the show, his lack of street smarts I found to be amusing, even if the characters on the show didn't usually see it that way.
Season 4 is a totally solid choice! I was not super enthused about the school arc, though I understand why it was put in the show. I really like the ring storyline. It started with Old Face Andre, then it went to Marlo, then Officer Walker, then Michael lool. Prop Joe is especially devious that season. The whole thing with the witness being shot and the political and police department fuckery involved was hilarious. It was like foreshadowing the serial killer hoax in season 5.

I will tell you a character I really hated: Bubbles. Again, I get that he offers an important perspective as an addict, and he played the part well, but my god was he annoying. His partner was absolutely insufferable.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:40 pm

You hate Bubbles? WTF?
I didn't think it was even possible to hate Bubbles, until today, you're the only one who does.
I can see not liking Johnny or Sherrod, but hating on Bubbles, that's a new one.
Andre Royo fucking killed it, and Bubbles is awesome. How dare you? Blasphemy.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Ziggy had some good attributes, but without Nicky watching his back he would have been dead long ago. Ironically, at the end of season 2 it is shown that Nicky is hardly a better hustler than Nicky and is also over his head.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 pm

heydaralon wrote:Ziggy had some good attributes, but without Nicky watching his back he would have been dead long ago. Ironically, at the end of season 2 it is shown that Nicky is hardly a better hustler than Nicky and is also over his head.
Nicky was the cleverest Sabotka, he got out the game before he ended up dead or in jail. He's also a fuck up, but I like the Sabotka's in spite of their propensity to fuck up while playing the game.
*yip*