Another School Shooting

clubgop

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by clubgop » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:31 am

Leg day. Move those goal posts.

Otern

Post by Otern » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 am

Montegriffo wrote: Firearms are a lot trickier but if you can pass all the checks and show you need one you can get a small bore low powered rifle for pest control. If you want a high powered hunting rifle you better love paperwork and be prepared to have regular visits from the regulators.
Carry any sort of gun around in public though and specially trained dedicated firearms police will turn up and shoot you dead. No hiding around the corner waiting for the shooting to stop like in other police forces.
While I don't want British gun laws here, and I wouldn't want to impose British gun laws on the Americans, a lot of the regulations in the UK, do sort of make sense, considering your history and culture.

You guys basically fought an insurrection against the Irish for a century. And it's a small country, with a high population density, not the same rural hunting culture as in Norway or the US. Hunting is basically an upper class pasttime, and those guys can get the necessary licenses anyway. And the government is actually high functioning, compared to a lot of other western nations, which means it's easier to trust your government.

I think you're exaggerating the armed response in Britain. The cops there will try to capture a gunman alive there too if possible, just like in every other western country.

Suppressors are less regulated than in the US, which is a good thing. Also, you guys can actually own .50 cal rifles. And you can own as many shotguns as you want, on a simple hunting license. We can't do that here. 6 long guns is generally the rule on a hunting license here. Not sure if you can own more rifles on a hunting license over there though, care to inform me if you can?

But there are areas I think you're overreacting. Like banning pistol and center fired semi auto rifle sports shooting.

The whole guns for self defense is a whole other debate.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 am

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:42 am

Clearly only non-responsive police should have guns.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am

California wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:What was it people say about lefties shouting "fascist" in lieu of debate?
Unlike the left, I understand what it means. A good example to show people is exactly what you described
Fascist and authoritarian would suggest measures taken against the wishes of the public. As this was not and is not the case in the UK I humbly suggest that it is you that is understanding deficient in this case.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:02 am

Montegriffo wrote:Trouble with guns is they last too long. Buy one and leave it in a drawer for 30 years and with a bit of cleaning it will still work properly. Even used regularly it will last a long time with proper maintenance. What the gun industry needs is gimicky guns like the AR 15 which serve no real purpose but sell like hot cakes. Added to that you need to perpetuate the fear that gun grabbers are going to take them away from you which ensures a rush to the gun shops every time the gun control narrative comes around after yet another mass shooting.
What the gun industry is relying on now is camoflage wearing wannabe heros running around in the woods playing out their little shit hits the fan prepper fantasies.
This is why taking military style, pointless yet popular ''assault'' rifles is going to be a long battle. You're not fighting the gun addicts you are fighting their ever more desparate dealers.
In the meantime you now have millions of unregistered crowd killing rifles in circulation that any crack pot Rambo can use with a minimum of practice to go on a depression fuelled mass murder suicide rampage.
Nice job guys.
We need to regulate those crowd killing trucks.

Those cell phones.

Do you even math?

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:03 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
I've been away for a few days. I assume you've been bitch slapped for posting this ignorance in the meantime. Will revisit.

I guess no one caught that.

Yes, they had automatics.

Yes, the 2nd included cannons, the most powerful weapons of the day.

Yes, it was confirmed multiple times that the right to bear arms meant all arms.
Wow....

Pages of this thread to catch up on... and not even any hockey talk to skip over...

All I can say is that arming all your citizens with the highest potency of weapons available in the service of maintaining the ability to resist the state...

No other state does this that I know of...

I mean, functional state...

This is a purely USA phenomenon... isn't it?

And yes I own a gun... Remington 3006... It's a beaut.
Still plan on buying a shotgun.... just haven't got around to it...
But not for the purposes of potentially resisting the state... lol
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

The 2nd Amendment is a pretty unique thing. When people are forced to defend their freedoms you’re bound to hear all sorts of reasons offered, some good, others less compelling.

Mostly people are just pissed at having to justify having rights to a mob of group-thinkers again.

Can you imagine how livid folks would be if they regularly had to defend their first amendment rights? If every time an asshole said something or a Muslim blew something up there was a concentrated push from a major political party to strip people of the freedom to speak or worship?

How about the 19th Amendment? What if every time we caught a woman doing something egregious we had a national discussion about why we ever allowed women to vote?

Yet every time an asshole with a gun does something evil people like the folks on this forum are put on the defensive and the media, Democrats, and celebrities demand that we justify our rights, again.

Tiresome.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: Totally agree Otern. This is why handguns were banned in the UK and not rifles.
Not entirely true. Handguns used to be heavily regulated for those reasons in the UK. But they got banned because of a mass shooting.
At the risk of us both getting overly pedantic here, banned to avoid the occurance of further mass shootings. Up to date pretty effectively.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:21 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: Totally agree Otern. This is why handguns were banned in the UK and not rifles.
Not entirely true. Handguns used to be heavily regulated for those reasons in the UK. But they got banned because of a mass shooting.
At the risk of us both getting overly pedantic here, banned to avoid the occurance of further mass shootings. Up to date pretty effectively.
Now ya'll just have to figure out how to control people driving trucks into crowds and throwing acid in people's' faces. Oh and of course a violent crime rate that is nearly double ours.

A true paradise over there.