The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Okeefenokee

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Is there a market for building FALs piece by piece like you can an AR?

If you're planning on buying an AR and then upgrading the components, might as well just build it piece by piece from the start.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm

I wouldn't care to rock a custom AR. From what I've seen they can either come out good or shoot like crap. Like some guys will build one that just doesn't operate well and some will. With a SCAR, I just wouldn't do that.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Nukedog wrote:Will 223 hollow points pierce body armor?
Seriously?

No... not even close. It also depends greatly on the rating, but realistically... no.

Now replace it with depleted uranium tips, you have a good chance, but again, it depends on the rating of the armor itself.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:15 pm

As for me, the FN SCAR would be my first choice. The second would be the AR.

The reason, I like the customability of the FN SCAR... but the AR, you know it works if it’s put together right.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm

The AR choice was "factory AR" and I was assuming that meant high end, like KA, LMT, LWRC, etc, I mean, in the picture there that Nuke posted, that's an HK416, and those are $3000.00

Problem with the HK416/417; they ported the main design flaw of the AR, the charging handle requires you to come off the target to cock the weapon, so even with HK417; FN SCAR FTW.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:The AR choice was "factory AR" and I was assuming that meant high end, like KA, LMT, LWRC, etc, I mean, in the picture there that Nuke posted, that's an HK416, and those are $3000.00

Problem with the HK416/417; they ported the main design flaw of the AR, the charging handle requires you to come off the target to cock the weapon, so even with HK417; FN SCAR FTW.
I learned never to assume on this board.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Well even if I went for the AR, I would want a high end one, KA, LMT, LWRC, CFC, etc, so, that's over two grand anyways, at which point, might as well just go all the way to the SCAR from there, in for a penny in for a pound, since I don't even like the AR in the first place.

Even a high end AR, is still tactical junk, can't fix that flawed charging handle, baked into the cake, and to get a custom upper reciever for an AR with an ambi cocking lever forward, that's just as expensive as the SCAR, and not nearly as integrated from the ground up, so no point in that.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:49 pm

AR's can be pretty cheap. Aimpoint is solid and only $400. That's cool, and probably along the lines of something I would actually end up buying but if I had my druthers I would want one assembled by a reputable factory with at least some of the bells and whistles put into the barrel and trigger. All that said, I think I want to shoot the SCAR tbh

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Well even if I went for the AR, I would want a high end one, KA, LMT, LWRC, CFC, etc, so, that's over two grand anyways, at which point, might as well just go all the way to the SCAR from there, in for a penny in for a pound, since I don't even like the AR in the first place.

Even a high end AR, is still tactical junk, can't fix that flawed charging handle, baked into the cake, and to get a custom upper reciever for an AR with an ambi cocking lever forward, that's just as expensive as the SCAR, and not nearly as integrated from the ground up, so no point in that.
Hence why I said the FN SCAR as my first choice. Because to fix the issues with a stock (even high end AR) you may as well get the SCAR.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:56 pm

DSA SA58 FAL Para would probably be my value pick, over the el cheapo AR option.
Nec Aspera Terrent