Net Neutrality

Speaker to Animals

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:14 am

I mean.. holy fuck.. the FCC just claimed the authority to be able to prevent states from enacting their own versions of net neutrality.

Are you really on board with that?

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:16 am

Exactly. Internet companies do not want more options. The free market will not fix this, because to libertarians, the free market simply means having even less oversight on campaign donations and less restrictions on monopolistic practices. The government is shitty, and many of their laws fuck over average Americans, but I view them as a counterbalance to the shitty business aspect of our society. If business had free reign in our society, we would end up with something that is virtually identical to shitty gov't. Company towns and stores, scrip, pinkertons etc. How is this better?

Here is a question: If you are a business man, what is cheaper; Potentially losing millions or more in sales because competition comes to your area and makes you improve your service, or simply paying the congressmen in your area $70,000 to make it damn near impossible to set up a rival company? I'm not an econ major, but one of those choices seems like a better investment...

If the ISPs gave a flying fuck about the consumers, the free market etc, they would have gotten their shit together a decade ago. But why shake the apple cart?
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:18 am

Net Leftality doesn't even work, the big players easily get around it. They just offer people free stuff, and people take the free stuff, that's how they push the little players out of the market, and there's nothing governments can do about it, consumers are simply voting Net Leftality down with their feet.

As per usual, the Lefties are want to fight market forces with government intervention, and as per usual, the market just flows around them.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 am

Guys this bill that is crony capitalism defined is necssary to end crony capitalism. :lol:

I'm sure Comcast execs are perusing Hayek's Road to Serfdom right now to make sure that their new business model meets the standard of a free market and suits their customers the best...
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 am

heydaralon wrote:Guys this bill that is crony capitalism defined is necssary to end crony capitalism. :lol:

I'm sure Comcast execs are perusing Hayek's Road to Serfdom right now to make sure that their new business model meets the standard of a free market and suits their customers the best...
You realize you just described Obama's NN law right?
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am

Good. I don't want poor people on my internet.

Eat a dick Colbert

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:30 am

heydaralon wrote:Guys this bill that is crony capitalism defined is necssary to end crony capitalism. :lol:

"Comcast is literally Hitler! There outta be a law!"
Nec Aspera Terrent

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:31 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
nmoore63 wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

We can't have a competitive ISP, Nick.

How about this. WHEN we get competition in broadband, THEN we can start talking about ending net neutrality.
What we?

The whole country, Nick. Just because you live in an exceptional area where these companies have not bribed your state legislature (yet) to criminalize competition doesn't somehow erase the fact that the vast majority of Americans were screwed out of any viable competition years ago.
Nor does that change the fact that the only solution is to fight that monster.
There is on short cut around a bribed legislature.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:32 am

heydaralon wrote:Exactly. Internet companies do not want more options. The free market will not fix this, because to libertarians, the free market simply means having even less oversight on campaign donations and less restrictions on monopolistic practices. The government is shitty, and many of their laws fuck over average Americans, but I view them as a counterbalance to the shitty business aspect of our society. If business had free reign in our society, we would end up with something that is virtually identical to shitty gov't. Company towns and stores, scrip, pinkertons etc. How is this better?

Here is a question: If you are a business man, what is cheaper; Potentially losing millions or more in sales because competition comes to your area and makes you improve your service, or simply paying the congressmen in your area $70,000 to make it damn near impossible to set up a rival company? I'm not an econ major, but one of those choices seems like a better investment...

If the ISPs gave a flying fuck about the consumers, the free market etc, they would have gotten their shit together a decade ago. But why shake the apple cart?
Nobody wants competition. Their desire is irrelevant.
There is no solution to corrupt government fucking up the marketplace other than to eliminate the corruption.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:33 am

Smitty-48 wrote:

"Comcast is literally Hitler! There outta be a law!"
Net Neutrality is literally Hitler! It is despicable that my ISP can't charge me more and deliver a worse service! I am literally sitting in Anne Frank's Treblinka bunk while browsing MHF because I know that the ISP should be able to milk more money out of me and the Reich won't let them!
Shikata ga nai