The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:00 pm

adwinistrator wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Hence why I loved Black Flag. That game was amazing, fresh... it's why I can't wait for Skull and Bones.
Never played it, but I do love a good pirate game. And there aren’t many out there.

Check out Blackwake. It’s a fun sailing-combat arena.
I'm all good thanks.

Yeah, definitely the high-water mark for piraty fun. :) Nothing has ever quite matched it.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Kingdom Come? Yeah, that might be my first full-price purchase in a long, long time.

Not sure it's worth installing Windows, though.

PC games should be made for Linux by default these days. Just test the games on the most common distros like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. Or, for that matter, maybe Valve can create a default PC gaming distro branched off Ubuntu.
If they actually did that, I'd switch to Linux. Gaming is 90% of the reason that I still use Windows at home.

At this point, gaming is the only thing that keeps non-commercial installations going.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:07 pm

The way I think it should be done is for somebody like Valve to create their own Ubuntu branch and market it as a default gaming distro for most machines. They could work directly with other publishers and developers to figure out what needs to go in there, minimum hardware standards, etc. It would basically be a distro put together by the gaming industry itself that they all build towards.

Then, if you want to use other distros, people could write scripts that will test your system and tell you how compatible it is with the latest Valve distro.

They almost did something like this with their Steambox idea, but I think where they went wrong was trying to make their own console. They should focus on a free, open-sourced Linux distro that only Steam and other development studios maintain and perfect that fucking thing for gaming only.

One thing that would be cool is to create a script that ranks your system according to video, sound, and processor speed. Maybe add something in there for networking, such that it can test your broadband, etc. Then a game could say your min requirements are rank 2 processor, rank1 video, rank 4 network. The script could easily by built into the Steam platform and automatically tell you what games you can play on your current system.

Steam could be integrated directly into the OS too.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:The way I think it should be done is for somebody like Valve to create their own Ubuntu branch and market it as a default gaming distro for most machines. They could work directly with other publishers and developers to figure out what needs to go in there, minimum hardware standards, etc. It would basically be a distro put together by the gaming industry itself that they all build towards.

Then, if you want to use other distros, people could write scripts that will test your system and tell you how compatible it is with the latest Valve distro.

They almost did something like this with their Steambox idea, but I think where they went wrong was trying to make their own console. They should focus on a free, open-sourced Linux distro that only Steam and other development studios maintain and perfect that fucking thing for gaming only.

One thing that would be cool is to create a script that ranks your system according to video, sound, and processor speed. Maybe add something in there for networking, such that it can test your broadband, etc. Then a game could say your min requirements are rank 2 processor, rank1 video, rank 4 network. The script could easily by built into the Steam platform and automatically tell you what games you can play on your current system.

That was probably the original idea for the Steam console, yeah. I'd imagine they got sidetracked, with all the communal authority nonsense, and Tammy felt she had to get her .02 in, and ruin gaming for everyone.

Fucking Tammy.

Also, I love the idea about a ranking system for hardware.. And I'm sure that you can see how rife that would be for manipulation and abuse.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:18 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:The way I think it should be done is for somebody like Valve to create their own Ubuntu branch and market it as a default gaming distro for most machines. They could work directly with other publishers and developers to figure out what needs to go in there, minimum hardware standards, etc. It would basically be a distro put together by the gaming industry itself that they all build towards.

That was probably the original idea for the Steam console, yeah. I'd imagine they got sidetracked, with all the communal authority nonsense, and Tammy felt she had to get her .02 in, and ruin gaming for everyone.

Fucking Tammy.

Also, I love the idea about a ranking system for hardware.. And I'm sure that you can see how rife that would be for manipulation and abuse.

Yeah, it should not be run by a democracy at all. It should be run by development studios. Maybe cycle reps from individual studios in and out of the ruling body, but beyond that, all the work that is contributed to the distro outside if the initial Ubuntu branch is done by developers at the participating game studios.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 pm

adwinistrator wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Hence why I loved Black Flag. That game was amazing, fresh... it's why I can't wait for Skull and Bones.
Never played it, but I do love a good pirate game. And there aren’t many out there.

I'm all good thanks.

If you can find a version that still works on today's tech without crashing ever 30 seconds, sure...
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:51 pm

The Conservative wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I'm all good thanks.

If you can find a version that still works on today's tech without crashing ever 30 seconds, sure...
$10 and it's yours.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3920/ ... s_Pirates/

GoG has both the original and the Gold versions together for $6.
https://www.gog.com/game/pirates_gold_plus

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:
I'm all good thanks.

$10 and it's yours.

Sure, maps to go with the D/L?
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:56 pm

The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
$10 and it's yours.

Sure, maps to go with the D/L?
Eh? Oh, maps of the Caribbean? Some of us don’t need them. :lol:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:53 pm