Compelled Speech in Canada

Speaker to Animals

Re: Compelled Speech in Canada

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote: Civil law is backed up by the power of the state as well.

Practicing law without a license is criminal. So if you don't obey you're subject to criminal proceedings.

If a judgement is made against you in a civil court and you don't pay it, the state backs it up with violence if necessary.

An organization with powers granted by the state is the government's duty to regulate.

Seems a great way to make people argue that an organization that is doing things against what people believe is right has nothing to do with the government and nothing can be done about it.

Again, good idea, surprised we don't do it here.
Show me where somebody has been disbarred over it, and that has passed judicial review by civil litigation.

Can't do it?

Panic monkey fake news. /shrugs.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Viktorthepirate wrote: Civil law is backed up by the power of the state as well.

Practicing law without a license is criminal. So if you don't obey you're subject to criminal proceedings.

If a judgement is made against you in a civil court and you don't pay it, the state backs it up with violence if necessary.

An organization with powers granted by the state is the government's duty to regulate.

Seems a great way to make people argue that an organization that is doing things against what people believe is right has nothing to do with the government and nothing can be done about it.

Again, good idea, surprised we don't do it here.
Show me where somebody has been disbarred over it, and that has passed judicial review by civil litigation.

Can't do it?

Panic monkey fake news. /shrugs.
Of course I can't. The Article was written October 3rd and it says the message was received recently. Disbarment is not an overnight event.

That is like asking me to show somebody affected by a new law governing murder convictions 2 days after it was passed.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Good thing the crown's not involved in this crazy shit, eh, Smits?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:
Of course I can't. The Article was written October 3rd and it says the message was received recently. Disbarment is not an overnight event.

That is like asking me to show somebody affected by a new law governing murder convictions 2 days after it was passed.
Well, I don't think anybody is going to get disbarred over it, I don't think the Law Society will take it that far, if a lawyer refuses to sign it, I don't think they're going to get disbarred, thus, I'll just wait to see what happens.

If somebody gets disbarred over it, and that passes judicial review, get back to me about it then, in the meantime; hockey season.

It's not like there aren't circumstances where the Crown could compel me to speak with the actual force of law, but since I'm not in the army anymore, I'm not concerned about that anymore.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Good time to strike the tent, Smits. Go Preds. /taps :salute:

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Viktorthepirate wrote:

Well, I don't think anybody is going to get disbarred over it, I don't think the Law Society will take it that far, if a lawyer refuses to sign it, I don't think they're going to get disbarred, thus, I'll just wait to see what happens.

If somebody gets disbarred over it, and that passes judicial review, get back to me about it then, in the meantime; hockey season.

It's not like there aren't circumstances where the Crown could compel me to speak with the actual force of law, but since I'm not in the army anymore, I'm not concerned about that anymore.
Bet there is a 99.9999% chance you're right.

However they can probably fuck with people who don't sign it. And it can have serious consequences.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:

However they can probably fuck with people who don't sign it. And it can have serious consequences.
Meh, I don't think so, it's lawyers, if the law society tries to fuck with them, I think they will put a litigation beat down on the people trying that, so hard and so fast, that will be the end of that, right out of the gate.

Just one of those lawyers, could tear them to shreds, these are some smart and rich fuckin' lawyers we're talking about here, I'm not too worried for them, they're nobody's victims, they are a dangerous opponent to call out, even for the Law Society, and the Law Society is well aware, so I don't think they'll fuck with them, not even a little bit.

That being said, it is a business, so lawyers may simply choose to sign the thing, of their own free will, because they think it's good business, but, no law against that, they are free to sign or not sign, but if there is pressure on them, it's more likely market forces not the Crown, which is generating that pressure.

One thing about lawyers, they like money, if they think something is good for business, as in PR? Can't stop them from jumping on that bandwagon.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Viktorthepirate wrote:

Meh, I don't think so, it's lawyers, if the law society tries to fuck with them, I think they will put a litigation beat down on the people trying that, so hard and so fast, that will be the end of that, right out of the gate.

Just one of those lawyers, could tear them to shreds, these are some smart and rich fuckin' lawyers we're talking about here, I'm not too worried for them, they're nobody's victims, they are a dangerous opponent to call out, even for the Law Society, and the Law Society is well aware, so I don't think they'll fuck with them, not even a little bit.

That being said, it is a business, so lawyers may simply choose to sign the thing, of their own free will, because they think it's good business, but, no law against that, they are free to sign or not sign, but if there is pressure on them, it's more likely market forces not the Crown, which is generating that pressure.

One thing about lawyers, they like money, if they think something is good for business, as in PR? Can't stop them from jumping on that bandwagon.
An organization empowered by the government is the government.

But if it doesn't bug you that they can coerce people into things like that, so be it.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:An organization empowered by the government is the government.
ditto
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change