What show are you watching right now?

StCapps

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by StCapps » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 am

heydaralon wrote:On Season 2 now Capps. They still haven't explained much lol, but I must admit, I'm intrigued. Its in Texas now.
How bout that theme song switch? A+.

By the end of The Leftovers lots of things will remain unexplained, but trust me, if you ever saw the ending to Lost, you'd know that's a good thing. Solving every mystery on a show where mystery is such a key part of the show, that can be detrimental to the ending of a show like The Leftover. They answer what needs to be answered, and leave unexplained what should be left unexplained, that balance is what makes the ending so damn good.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 am

heydaralon wrote:I'm going into work late today cuz I'm finishing up the first episode of season 2 right now, I shit you not.
Told you Grumpy doesn't know what he's talking about.

That first episode of Season 2 was a key point for me, the new theme song, the change up in the location, the introduction of new characters, you have no idea wtf is going on, but you know that what you are watching is awesome, and you don't care if you can't figure everything out right away, that's half the fun. That is where I first really started to get that inkling that every time it looks like the show is going off on some seemingly random tangent that I really should just roll with it, because every time the show does it, it works out great every damn time. Intrigued, a solid word to describe how the show makes you feel about it, especially in the last two seasons, Lindelof has proven quite adept using mystery to make his shows better.

Lost used to go into seemingly random side tangents as well, often with their flashbacks and flash forwards, with mixed results. The Leftovers learned from a lot that show's mistakes and strikes a much better balance of knowing when to go to that place. Lindelof really stepped his game this time around, something fierce, and Lost is a really good show, even despite the ending, so that is saying something.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 pm

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:On Season 2 now Capps. They still haven't explained much lol, but I must admit, I'm intrigued. Its in Texas now.

By the end of The Leftovers lots of things will remain unexplained, but trust me, if you ever saw the ending to Lost, you'd know that's a good thing. Solving every mystery on a show where mystery is such a key part of the show, that can be detrimental to the ending of a show like The Leftover. They answer what needs to be answered, and leave unexplained what should be left unexplained, that balance is what makes the ending so damn good.
I am on season 3 now. We will have a good discussion once I finish the show. I did not like how season 2 ended. I liked it for the most part, but after episode 8, I will concede I was a bit disappointed. Still a good show overall, but I think they veered a little bit too far into the silly. It felt like American Horror Story or something. Maybe when I see the show in entirety I will change my mind. I still am glad I watched it, all I'm saying is that I wasn't a fan of the season 2 ended. I'm gonna keep going. I still have high hopes. Good recommendation.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 pm

heydaralon wrote:
StCapps wrote:

I am on season 3 now. We will have a good discussion once I finish the show. I did not like how season 2 ended. I liked it for the most part, but after episode 8, I will concede I was a bit disappointed. Still a good show overall, but I think they veered a little bit too far into the silly. It felt like American Horror Story or something. Maybe when I see the show in entirety I will change my mind. I still am glad I watched it, all I'm saying is that I wasn't a fan of the season 2 ended. I'm gonna keep going. I still have high hopes. Good recommendation.
The first episode of Season 3 might solve your pet peeve with the ending of Season 2, you'll know what I mean fairly early in, if your beef is what I think it is.

International Assassin (S02E08), you didn't like it? Silly American Horror Story, you say?

Epic post-death dream sequence, beautifully shot, excellent character development. In order to come back from the dead, there's a price to pay, the episode has a big impact on Kevin and the series going forward. Silly at times yeah, but it's suppose to be, and it's fun. Season 3 makes the episode even better in hindsight as well, but it was great on first watch too, just as an episode in itself. That's an episode that feels unlike anything else on TV, and in a very good way. That's how I see International Assassin anyway.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 pm

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
StCapps wrote:How bout that theme song switch? A+.

The first episode of Season 3 might solve your pet peeve with the ending of Season 2, you'll know what I mean fairly early in, if your beef is what I think it is.

International Assassin (S02E08), you didn't like it? Silly American Horror Story, you say?

Epic post-death dream sequence, beautifully shot, excellent character development. In order to come back from the dead, there's a price to pay, the episode has a big impact on Kevin and the series going forward. Silly at times yeah, but it's suppose to be, and it's fun. Season 3 makes the episode even better in hindsight as well, but it was great on first watch too, just as an episode in itself. That's an episode that feels unlike anything else on TV, and in a very good way. That's how I see International Assassin anyway.
I was fine with international assassin, but in episode 10 when they killed him again, and he had to sing karaoke, that seemed like AHS. The whole guilty remnant build up was also disappointing. Their grand plan was underwhelming imo. Idk.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 pm

heydaralon wrote:but in episode 10 when they killed him again, and he had to sing karaoke, that seemed like AHS.
A little I suppose, but I didn't really have a problem with that scene.
heydaralon wrote:The whole guilty remnant build up was also disappointing. Their grand plan was underwhelming imo. Idk.
Early in the first episode of the third season, you'll see why that was the case. Their grand plan is underwhelming, let's just say they didn't cover all the angles, you'll see.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:32 pm

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:but in episode 10 when they killed him again, and he had to sing karaoke, that seemed like AHS.
A little I suppose, but I didn't really have a problem with that scene.
heydaralon wrote:The whole guilty remnant build up was also disappointing. Their grand plan was underwhelming imo. Idk.
Early in the first episode of the third season, you'll see why that was the case. Their grand plan is underwhelming, let's just say they didn't cover all the angles, you'll see.
Was not crazy about the ending or the last 2 episodes. Its sort of funny how the show felt that kevin and nora's relationship was the most interesting part, when in my mind it was the least interesting. The extended dream sequence in the second to last episode got pretty tiresome. I'm not a huge fan of dream sequences on television in general. David Lynch is the only guy who can get away with it as a major plot device imo. Still liked the series overall, despite them not ever answering the questions I wanted answered. I guessed by the beginning of season 3 they weren't gonna resolve any of these questions. How did you interpret the ending?
The way they had that they got rid of the GR in the first episode was deus ex machina to me. Its like, you built this huge plot up, then it just involves storming this town (which was not much of a plot to be quite honest), and then we are just gonna drone strike you felt very sloppy. Meg never really became a serious antagonist. They should have explored what ATFEC was doing to the GR. In season 1, they touched on it, and that would have been a great storyline. Why were they cremating the bodies, why did they hate the GR so much etc? They ignored that stuff mostly, and ended it like a Romantic comedy or something.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 pm

heydaralon wrote:Was not crazy about the ending or the last 2 episodes. Its sort of funny how the show felt that kevin and nora's relationship was the most interesting part, when in my mind it was the least interesting.
heydaralon wrote:The extended dream sequence in the second to last episode got pretty tiresome. I'm not a huge fan of dream sequences on television in general. David Lynch is the only guy who can get away with it as a major plot device imo.
Loved every minute of it, nuclear holocaust for the win, the dick sensor was hilarious. Didn't drag for a second, found it the opposite of tiresome, as I did with all the dream sequences in The Leftovers. David Lynch is good at the dream sequences but Damon Lindelof did some damn good work in this show.
heydaralon wrote:Still liked the series overall, despite them not ever answering the questions I wanted answered. I guessed by the beginning of season 3 they weren't gonna resolve any of these questions. How did you interpret the ending?
It answered what I wanted it to answer and left open to interpretation what I wanted it to leave open to interpretation. Trust me, you didn't actually want Lindelof to answer where the departures went explicitly, you either believe Nora or you don't, but Kevin does, or even he doesn't, it doesn't matter because he forgives her anyway, despite all the shit they went through. Sentimental as fuck sure, but well down sentimentality that was true to what the show was about at it's core, instead of getting caught up in answering every little mystery, like Lost. It avoided all the major pitfalls of Lost's ending, trust me, leaving the mystery intact works out way better.
heydaralon wrote:The way they had that they got rid of the GR in the first episode was deus ex machina to me. Its like, you built this huge plot up, then it just involves storming this town (which was not much of a plot to be quite honest), and then we are just gonna drone strike you felt very sloppy. Meg never really became a serious antagonist. They should have explored what ATFEC was doing to the GR. In season 1, they touched on it, and that would have been a great storyline. Why were they cremating the bodies, why did they hate the GR so much etc? They ignored that stuff mostly, and ended it like a Romantic comedy or something.
Kevin and Nora was more interesting than the Guilty Remnant to me, they had become extraneous, and it made sense that government would step if a cult overran Miracle, they set it up with references throughout the season about the importance of the town, even if just symbolic. I certainly cared more about Kevin and Nora than Meg and Evie, it let the show get down to business, you can call it whatever you want, that decision made the show better down the stretch, I don't think exploring the storylines that you suggest would have made for a better ending, that last season couldn't realistically be any better in my books.
/shrus
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm

heydaralon wrote:I guessed by the beginning of season 3 they weren't gonna resolve any of these questions.
I guessed that, in the first few episodes. Shit went nowhere, and got uninteresting fast. :snooty:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:I guessed by the beginning of season 3 they weren't gonna resolve any of these questions.
I guessed that, in the first few episodes. Shit went nowhere, and got uninteresting fast. :snooty:
You're an idiot. Go sit in the corner, you wouldn't know good TV if it slapped you in the face. The show went lots of places, and was real interesting, and you're a chump who makes awful TV watching decisions. Stop trying to justify your idiocy by appealing to daralon, as if he backs up your decision to stop watching, when clearly he thinks that was stupid and is grateful that he didn't do that.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*