The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:solid points made in discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_re ... nt_be_the/
I get all my news from chicken little posts on reddit.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:47 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:solid points made in discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_re ... nt_be_the/
I will be curious whether they simply sell off the IP to EA, or release another No Man's Sky disaster... :lol:

Don't feel bad, Okee. I fell for the NMS scam, along with everybody else.

They just took out huge business loans using the game assets as collateral. My guess is that their plan is to burn through the rest of the donations, miss some loan payments, and just let the bank take over so they can walk away. I think there is still a chance they can catch charges, so I'd walk away all the way to a non-extradition country if I was one of them.
You'll believe anything. Not to mention you're several months late to the sky is falling party.

CIG will never survive this!

I wonder if you guys can see yourselves.
"Our UK companies are entitled to a Government Game tax credit rebate which we earn every month on the Squadron 42 development. These rebates are payable by the UK Government in the fall of the next following year when we file our tax returns," CIG co-founder and legal counsel Ortwin Freyermuth explained in a forum post.

"Foundry 42 and its parent company Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. have elected to partner with Coutts, a highly regarded, very selective, and specialized UK banking institution, to obtain a regular advance against this rebate, which will allow us to avoid converting unnecessarily other currencies into GBP. We obviously incur a significant part of our expenditures in GBP while our collections are mostly in USD and EUR. Given today's low interest rates versus the ongoing and uncertain currency fluctuations, this is simply a smart money management move, which we implemented upon recommendation of our financial advisors."
Montoya's here to embarrass you so I can take a walk.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I said I don't "pre-order". I will pay early access, for a game that's in active development, and promises me all future updates to come.

SC doesn't appear to do that, nor does it have much of anything in the way of gameplay. The most telling thing about it, is that they've invested SO much time into making it pretty, ahead of finishing the actual mechanics. That's a scam in progress, unless I'm very mistaken indeed.

Re KSP: Spaceplanes weren't, and still aren't, part of the core gameplay. They're a rather advanced level of play, that most still haven't figured out. I can't say that the initial alpha was a 'complete game', but it certainly featured more to do than SC does. What do you have right now, some cockpits, that you can fly around like a WW2 fighter, and dock with 2-3 completely empty stations? That's not a game, my friend.
Active development? Check

Promises all future updates to come? Check

What are you talking about?

Forget space planes, KSP launched alpha with only one rocket that could only attach to one fuel tank. Got that? That's all it was. One rocket, one tank, one planet, one point of light to simulate the sun, and nearly impossible to achieve orbit around a planet that vanished if you got too far from it.

Now, from your summary of SC is, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about either.

So here's what's playable right now:
  • Dozens of flyable ships. Not cockpits. Full ships.
    Four different hangars where you can crawl in and out and all about, not cockpits, ships.
    Two dogfighting arenas
    Three race tracks
    Two FPS arenas
One Planetary system with:
  • Two bases of operations for lawful vs criminal players with shops for guns and armor.
    A dozen comm sats for dueling with pirates
    Security outpost where players with criminal status try to erase their criminal history before lawful players who've accepted jobs as security find and kill them.
    A half dozen or so fuel/ammo/repair stations for ship maintenance.
    Dozens of missions for search and rescue, private investigator, restoring derelict satellites to operation, bounties for criminal players, etc
And 1.9 million players ensuring that there are always other people to play with.

Tell me again how KSP launched with one rocket and one fuel tank, but was more of a game than SC. It's funny every time.
Ok, so you have a Red v Blue arena, with WW2 dogfighters. How is that different from 500+ other games available for free or cheap?
Is there character progression? Stats on your global ranking, or some kind of Skinner wheel to make a point of it? Is there anything to actually DO, other than shoot at other ships?

You see where I'm going here? KSP had a first-of-its-kind physics simulation that NOBODY has even mimicked before or since, unless you count Lunar Lander or something. Even when I had that single engine and tank, I had a legit (DIFFICULT) challenge, to achieve orbit with it. Updates were flying out the door every week or two, and the forums were ripping through interesting topics. It was something new, different, and long overdue in gaming, and still is, 5 years later.

SC is (so far) just another weak-ass space shooter. They promised a whole fucking hell of a lot more than that, and have nothing to show for one of the biggest all-time game budgets. KSP was developed by a couple of Mexicans, in their spare time.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I will be curious whether they simply sell off the IP to EA, or release another No Man's Sky disaster... :lol:

Don't feel bad, Okee. I fell for the NMS scam, along with everybody else.

They just took out huge business loans using the game assets as collateral. My guess is that their plan is to burn through the rest of the donations, miss some loan payments, and just let the bank take over so they can walk away. I think there is still a chance they can catch charges, so I'd walk away all the way to a non-extradition country if I was one of them.
You'll believe anything. Not to mention you're several months late to the sky is falling party.

"Our UK companies are entitled to a Government Game tax credit rebate which we earn every month on the Squadron 42 development. These rebates are payable by the UK Government in the fall of the next following year when we file our tax returns," CIG co-founder and legal counsel Ortwin Freyermuth explained in a forum post.

"Foundry 42 and its parent company Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. have elected to partner with Coutts, a highly regarded, very selective, and specialized UK banking institution, to obtain a regular advance against this rebate, which will allow us to avoid converting unnecessarily other currencies into GBP. We obviously incur a significant part of our expenditures in GBP while our collections are mostly in USD and EUR. Given today's low interest rates versus the ongoing and uncertain currency fluctuations, this is simply a smart money management move, which we implemented upon recommendation of our financial advisors."

They're taking out a loan, to avoid converting currency. With $150m budget. This is lunacy, dude.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:59 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

They're taking out a loan, to avoid converting currency. With $150m budget. This is lunacy, dude.
Watch the video, and stop pretending you're an international banker. Learn something.

Anyone who's taken a basic accounting class knows about opportunity costs.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:27 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Ok, so you have a Red v Blue arena, with WW2 dogfighters. How is that different from 500+ other games available for free or cheap?
Is there character progression? Stats on your global ranking, or some kind of Skinner wheel to make a point of it? Is there anything to actually DO, other than shoot at other ships?

You see where I'm going here? KSP had a first-of-its-kind physics simulation that NOBODY has even mimicked before or since, unless you count Lunar Lander or something. Even when I had that single engine and tank, I had a legit (DIFFICULT) challenge, to achieve orbit with it. Updates were flying out the door every week or two, and the forums were ripping through interesting topics. It was something new, different, and long overdue in gaming, and still is, 5 years later.

SC is (so far) just another weak-ass space shooter. They promised a whole fucking hell of a lot more than that, and have nothing to show for one of the biggest all-time game budgets. KSP was developed by a couple of Mexicans, in their spare time.
You're moving the goal posts again.

First you said there wasn't a game, just some cockpits.

Now you're complaining that other people have also made games before.

There is a rough draft reputation system. Basically just a wanted level right now. It's the first implementation. If you become wanted, the AI security fleet at Port Olisar will shoot on sight if you approach. Wanted players have to operate out of Grim Hex with all the other criminals unless they can successfully sneak into Security Outpost Kareah, and erase their criminal record from the database without being caught and killed by the other players there working the security mission.

There are leaderboards,
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... boards/top

There is no skill system like WoW or Skyrim. It's all on you. No +55 endurance stat to let you tank your way through a hail of bullets.

I just told you there are a couple dozen missions right now, but yes, it's mostly combat.

KSP lets you build a ship, launch, EVA, land, EVA, repeat. I had fun for a while, but it wasn't enough. There is a mod to allow multiplayer, but last I looked it didn't work really well. If they fully implement multiplayer in KSP I might give it another look.

NMS had a large scope, but no real multiplayer, and not much more than flying around, and that was at final launch.

ED has a good single player aspect, but lacks in multiplayer, and you're restricted to either flying a ship, or driving a rover. And if you want to drive on planets at all you have to buy an expansion to the game that was already 60 bucks. ED doesn't let you get out and travel on foot.

Right now SC has ships that fly, tons of multiplayer, racing, dogfighting, FPS, missions that pay credits, guns, armor, clothing, and ship upgrades you can buy with in game currency, no real money required.

But what it has that none of the others has is the ability to launch a ship from your hangar, fly to a location, meet a group of people, get out of your ships, have a dance-off, shoot everyone in the head, steal the best ship there, blow up all the others, and fly off into the darkness with a bounty on your head. You can do that right now.

Not KSP, ED, nor NMS let you do that. EVE has been out for what 13 year? Not even EVE lets you do that.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 pm

You seem very emotionally invested in this game being real.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:You seem very emotionally invested in this game being real.
You're not real.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 pm

Sad part is I know you losers are gonna deny me the satisfaction of venting you out the airlock.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Sad part is I know you losers are gonna deny me the satisfaction of venting you out the airlock.
Meh. If they make a real game, I’ll give it a look.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace