Game of Thrones - mostly

GloryofGreece

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am
Charging their cavalry into the distance alone seemed pretty useless... there have to be better uses of cavalry than this.

Theon's last charge at NK was kind of silly.

I don't really now what the best use of artillery is in a situation like this...

It was really dark... made me wonder about my screen... but I'm hearing everyone say the same thing... I found this confusing and frustrating... maybe they created this effect on purpose for that reason... but I didn't enjoy it.

Arya is overpowered.

Didn't really enjoy... there is the rest of the season for the show to find redemption.... but it's looking dubious.

But most importantly.... someone help me out with Melissandra in this episode... I'm at a loss as to her character arc here... and her function in this narrative.

She was a flawed prophet of the Lord of Light... really flawed... I liked that...
She set the stage for the doom of the Barathian brother.
...but what are we to make of her now.
She inspired Arya to fulfill her destiny I guess... but it's feeling kinda weak.
Melissandra is a good character. She is flawed but she is a real deal priest. A true believer . I find your lack of faith disturbing.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:19 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 am
Melissandra is a good character. She is flawed but she is a real deal priest. A true believer . I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Sure, but why parachute her in for this single episode... and then exit her stage left at the close.
Nice fiery special effects... but I fail to see the substance in it. (Admittedly the extra light was refreshing...)
Insights?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:23 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:41 am
why do they constantly put characters in situations where death is certain, only to not kill them, over and over again? maybe i'm wrong but jorah was on the front line in the initial attack, right? that fucking guy should have been dead right then and there. fat sam was getting piled on and eaten by zombies but he's just sitting there at the end. jon was surrounded by hundreds of resurrected zombies but fought a couple and i think dany killed a few and now he's in the castle playing hide and seek with a dragon that doesn't seek.

and what was up with the unrelenting swarm of endless undead, unflinchingly charging into conflict suddenly creeping along the halls of winterfell? i get that the writers want variety in the show, but don't write your characters into situations they shouldn't be able to get out of, those zombies should have been rushing through that library searching for anyone and everyone, not lumbering around bumping into shit
+1
What were they looking for in the library?
That scene made very little sense.
Jon's escape from the zombie hoards also was beyond improbable...
I was having trouble suspending disbelief to the point that I actually laughed out loud when Theon charged the NK.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:19 am
GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 am
Sure, but why parachute her in for this single episode... and then exit her stage left at the close.
Nice fiery special effects... but I fail to see the substance in it. (Admittedly the extra light was refreshing...)
Insights?
Her role was to be a servant of the Lord , like you already know. She fulfilled that role and she was relieved to go off into the sunset. A person of faith doesn't fear death really and she should be ready to go, her goals were met. I thought her end made perfect sense.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:48 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:41 am
why do they constantly put characters in situations where death is certain, only to not kill them, over and over again? maybe i'm wrong but jorah was on the front line in the initial attack, right? that fucking guy should have been dead right then and there. fat sam was getting piled on and eaten by zombies but he's just sitting there at the end. jon was surrounded by hundreds of resurrected zombies but fought a couple and i think dany killed a few and now he's in the castle playing hide and seek with a dragon that doesn't seek.

and what was up with the unrelenting swarm of endless undead, unflinchingly charging into conflict suddenly creeping along the halls of winterfell? i get that the writers want variety in the show, but don't write your characters into situations they shouldn't be able to get out of, those zombies should have been rushing through that library searching for anyone and everyone, not lumbering around bumping into shit
1. Ask the writers of every epic battle scene, ever. No main character deaths in the final LoTR battle, right?

2. The library scene was the weakest and was out of place. Perhaps it was there to give the viewers a chance to breathe? B&W told a reporter that they had to be concerned about battle fatigue for the viewer. This scene may have solved it? I thought it was lame, too.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:51 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:19 am

Insights?
In season 7, she told someone (Varys, maybe?) that she had to go back to the North to die. I'm guessing the lord spoke to her and told her to go set some swords on fire and then her watch would be over.

Beric was the biggest non payoff. He was brought back to life 12 times to save Arya? I was thinking the Hound would get that job.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:57 am

Kath wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:51 am
In season 7, she told someone (Varys, maybe?) that she had to go back to the North to die. I'm guessing the lord spoke to her and told her to go set some swords on fire and then her watch would be over.

Beric was the biggest non payoff. He was brought back to life 12 times to save Arya? I was thinking the Hound would get that job.
The Hound has to face off against his brother... that should be satisfying.

The flaming swords and trenches didn't accomplish much... other than cool special effects.

I guess it was about weaponizing Arya against the NK...

Little girl slays giant seems to be the meme for this episode...

Danielle and Goliath?

meh.

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:01 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:57 am

The flaming swords and trenches didn't accomplish much... other than cool special effects.
They accomplished a lot! Not sure what you mean. Can you imagine the complaints if there was no fire defense whatsoever? ZOMG! They should have used fire.... WORST WRITING IN THE HISTORY OF WRITING!! THIS SHOW SUCKS! Can't wait for the next episode!!

Even Nerd said, "Will be lame if there's no fire moat."

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:18 am

Anyone who's read the books knows that Arya was being set up for this the whole time
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:20 am

California wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:18 am
Anyone who's read the books knows that Arya was being set up for this the whole time
I guess I didn't read the books.
I knew she was the Stark avenging angel... but figured her role was limited to the living.