What show are you watching right now?

clubgop

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by clubgop » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm

StCapps wrote:
California wrote:I really liked Ozark, I watched it in like a week

I haven't done the Wire yet, its HBO right? I'll start that after I finish my one Star Wars a day in chronological order
HBO, yeah. Was the best drama on television every year that it aired, even though no one watched it, and it never won an emmy. I never met anyone who watched The Wire in it's entirety and yet didn't think it was one of the greatest shows they've ever seen.
They get everything right, chasing numbers, the politics, and there is no moral grandstanding about any of it.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

clubgop wrote:
StCapps wrote:
California wrote:I really liked Ozark, I watched it in like a week

I haven't done the Wire yet, its HBO right? I'll start that after I finish my one Star Wars a day in chronological order
HBO, yeah. Was the best drama on television every year that it aired, even though no one watched it, and it never won an emmy. I never met anyone who watched The Wire in it's entirety and yet didn't think it was one of the greatest shows they've ever seen.
They get everything right, chasing numbers, the politics, and there is no moral grandstanding about any of it.
God I love the wire.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm

heydaralon wrote:I rewatched episode 1 of the leftovers Capps. I saw it a few years back and didn't watch any of the other ones. I must say, it was pretty weird. I am not a very cultured person, so I will admit that I might not have gotten what the creator was trying to do. Weird cult shit and parties and whatnot. I will say this: it is shot really well. I'm not an expert of film, but the lighting and stuff created this sort of creepy mood, like a bad dream. It has started a bit slow, but I will give it a chance and keep going.
It's a slow burn indeed, but it has a feel, a creepy mood like a bad dream, as you put it, that is really unique, no other show on TV feels like The Leftovers. The mood is the thing that struck about the show from the very beginning, and a lot of that is indeed owed to the cinematography.

Season 1 is really dark, the show gets lighter as it goes and as it finds that balance it's hits it's stride, the result is fucking awesome. When the show seems to be going off on some random path, just roll with it, the meandering detours always work out great, you'll learn to trust Lindelof and get through the "I don't know wtf is going on" moments, because the payoff is always worth it, this isn't Lost. It does take some getting used to, but I finally learned to completely stop worrying after "International Assassin" and love every seemingly random detour, as I knew it was always going to make the show better. Sure enough, that only became even more so the case in that epic third and final season, which is also the best season of television I've seen all year, hands down.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:24 pm

heydaralon wrote:
clubgop wrote:
StCapps wrote:HBO, yeah. Was the best drama on television every year that it aired, even though no one watched it, and it never won an emmy. I never met anyone who watched The Wire in it's entirety and yet didn't think it was one of the greatest shows they've ever seen.
God I love the wire.
If you haven't seen The Wire, part of me pities you, and the other part of me is jealous of the lucky bastards that get to watch it for the first time.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Word on the street is Stranger Things isn't going to suck in it's second season, and it dodged one season wonderitis. More of a slow burn than last season because it's a little heavier on the character development in early going, but it finishes strong down the stretch and apparently the ending is pretty good.

If true, that's a relief, I trust the sources, so not worried about the worst case scenario anymore.

Capps after hearing the word on the street:
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am

The Deuce season 1 is done with. Got renewed for season 2, which is awesome because it is the best show on tv atm. I'm watching leftovers now. Still don't quite get it, but I'm gonna finish season 1 at least. Things are getting weird.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:32 am

heydaralon wrote:Things are getting weird.
Tip of the iceberg on the weird tip. The weirder it gets, the better it gets. Eventually you'll learn to stop worrying and love the weird, that feeling will likely become cemented sometime around International Assassin, but it started to dawn on me a bit earlier in the second season, but it became glaringly obvious after that episode that I should actually be cheering for the show to get weirder and weirder, because it works out so damn well every time that it does. And then Season 3 happened, and I was proven 100% right about approaching The Leftovers with that attitude, what a delightfully weird season of television that was.

About to finish the first season of The Deuce, I'm throwing the episode on right now.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Capps: why does everyone in that cult dress in all white and smoke? Lol I dont get it.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:49 pm

heydaralon wrote:Capps: why does everyone in that cult dress in all white and smoke? Lol I dont get it.
They explain that near the end of the first season I'm pretty sure, Meg asks the same questions. The Guilty Remnant are a strange bunch, they are big into being the "living reminder of the sudden departure", most of what they do connects to that rationale in some way, including the vow of silence, dressing in white and chain smoking, it helps to re-enforce that, among other reasons.
Not everyone wants to be reminded though.

The GR have a tendency to go a little overboard at times, cults tend to do that, plus there is an even deeper motivation behind Patti being prone to interpreting the world as having ended with The Sudden Departure, as you'll find out later on.
*yip*

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
Seriously silly, kinda cute, mostly fun--if I smoked weed, I'd probably light up for this show, maybe enjoy some hot decaf tea and a few Lorna Doones. It's worth a try. :drool:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "