Public School Education System Thread

GloryofGreece

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:31 pm

katarn wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
katarn wrote:Schools don't teach that to twelve year olds.
tisk, tisk, don't use Texas as your metric. Georgia teaches algebra as early as 6th grade. There's nothing in those equations that wouldn't be covered in algebra 1 expect for them being multi-variable.
I know some states, especially on the East coast, teach math faster, but much of the rest of the nation doesn't. I'm using more than Texas- although you are right to point out the limitations of personal experience- but Algebra 1 is perhaps less complex these days than you realize. I'll look for stats soon, but for now: these classes are necessary in high school. I'm just arguing that they are less developed for many students nationwide than you may believe.

A standard path for high school in the mid-West at least is algebra 1, geometry/algebra 2, algebra 2/geometry, trig/pre-calc.
That is exactly the schedule for both Virginia and North Carolina as well. There are those students that do take Algebra 1 in 7th grade but that isn't the usual or norm at all.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:41 pm

People, please - algebra I is not hard....unless you have a shitty teacher or are "differently abeled."

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Probably more in algebra than in any other subject do students develop abstract thought.

The box becomes the blank becomes the variable, and the training wheels of using one apple plus two apples graduates to conceptual values and unknowns, where it is the relationships between the different figures that are being deconstructed.

I like history just as much as the next guy, but public school history is fucking useless. All public school history does it create a store of bullshit that has to be unlearned later.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Public education, except for the service academies, is a fucking joke these days in most districts......result of unions, massive illegal immigration (the left thinks is the tax payers job to educate the entire third world), and corrupt politicians.

katarn

Post by katarn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:27 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
katarn wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
tisk, tisk, don't use Texas as your metric. Georgia teaches algebra as early as 6th grade. There's nothing in those equations that wouldn't be covered in algebra 1 expect for them being multi-variable.
I know some states, especially on the East coast, teach math faster, but much of the rest of the nation doesn't. I'm using more than Texas- although you are right to point out the limitations of personal experience- but Algebra 1 is perhaps less complex these days than you realize. I'll look for stats soon, but for now: these classes are necessary in high school. I'm just arguing that they are less developed for many students nationwide than you may believe.

A standard path for high school in the mid-West at least is algebra 1, geometry/algebra 2, algebra 2/geometry, trig/pre-calc.
That is exactly the schedule for both Virginia and North Carolina as well. There are those students that do take Algebra 1 in 7th grade but that isn't the usual or norm at all.
Yeah, it isn't in most places.

(Digression) Colorado where I was was pretty weird though. Geometry was a class for non-college bound kids, Shapes for Seniors, and no halfway intelligent kid took it in that district. Only the dumbest took it in high school, and the very smartest took it in 8th grade, and only if they were on that 7th grade algebra course.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:47 am

Algebra h8ers are pushing it underground.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:51 am

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:52 am

Hmmm...maybe my last post was a little too dramatic.... :mrgreen:

E is pretty far away from A......some intern is going to get it.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:43 am

Zlaxer wrote:People, please - algebra I is not hard....unless you have a shitty teacher or are "differently abeled."
Then just get a doctor to diagnose them with a disorder and get an IEP and then any tard can graduate college!
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:45 am

California continues kicking ass:

California State University to End Placement Exams and Remedial Classes for Freshmen
The eradication of high standards for California's public education students continues apace. In a few years, students will be able to enter the university, and then likely graduate with a "four-year degree," without any foundation or completion of rigorous math, sciences, and languages.

Educational officials no doubt are dealing with a wave of unprepared students, thrust into the system by the massive open immigration we've had for the last few decades. It's really reaching critical mass. When I started teaching at Long Beach City College in fall of 2000, fully one-third of students enrolled came from a traditional white working-class background. I thought that was minuscule at the time, but now the number's down to about 13 percent white students.

There's nothing wrong with the diversity. In fact, Latinos at my college are more than half of the student population, and they're totally fine. Many, though not all, are indeed very outstanding. On the other hand, I'm having more and more students ---- including many Asians ---- who literally do not speak English. I don't know how they expect to succeed. But they're here and this is the reality in California.