Public School Education System Thread

katarn

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by katarn » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:You should note that I included a heavy dose of science education in my ideal curriculum, along with the rest of a classical education. There should be a class on finance and Econ in each high school grade, art, music, history as well. I also think that geometry and basic trig are important. A requirement to learn basic programming concepts and electrical theory would be good as well.

I do not believe that there's any use for advanced algebra in lower education, any more than they need to memorize Shakespeare. Some things are just not of general use. That's all I'm saying.
Turn in your voter registration. You're unfit.

Hey guys, I totes think science is cool, but all that middle school level algebra isn't necessary. What do you mean I sound like a loon?
Nitpicking here, but algebra isn't usually a middle school course. 9th grade is the standard path in much of the US- prealgebra is the realm of middle school, where kids are introduced to x.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:01 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:You should note that I included a heavy dose of science education in my ideal curriculum, along with the rest of a classical education. There should be a class on finance and Econ in each high school grade, art, music, history as well. I also think that geometry and basic trig are important. A requirement to learn basic programming concepts and electrical theory would be good as well.

I do not believe that there's any use for advanced algebra in lower education, any more than they need to memorize Shakespeare. Some things are just not of general use. That's all I'm saying.

Hey guys, I totes think science is cool, but all that middle school level algebra isn't necessary. What do you mean I sound like a loon?
You first, genius.

The gotdam system werks, so don't fuck with it! Merica number uhhhh... one bitches weeeeew! I'm gonna be rich sumdee if dem liberals quit taxin me
Proles gonna prole. Keep tellin' yourself your failings are all the fault of the man. I'm sure it's very comforting.

Exhibit numero uno why shitlibs hate school choice. Even in a school system they've driven into the ground, they still can't hope to compete. What's their answer? Lower the standards even more. Notice how quick grumps was to join in on the notion that algebra needs to go. Our very own resident embodiment of utter ignorance in all matters economic couldn't help but to proclaim loud and proud that none of this math stuff matters, not once thinking of how that might color his long and thorough track record of mathematical ignorance.

Let's go back to the tape,

This is what grumps considers to be engineering level math. Back in reality, this is math on par for what we expect from twelve year olds. Another failed public school bureaucrat pipes up that grade school level math is a civil rights violation, and grumps takes up the banner.

Maybe the funniest part was him bringing up taxes. You know you can't do the math, right? :lol:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:42 pm

lulz If only you knew...

it's cool, bubba. Strut that stuff.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Well, mathletes... I think we all know there is only one way to solve this.

MATH-OFF!!!
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

katarn

Post by katarn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:58 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

You first, genius.

The gotdam system werks, so don't fuck with it! Merica number uhhhh... one bitches weeeeew! I'm gonna be rich sumdee if dem liberals quit taxin me
Proles gonna prole. Keep tellin' yourself your failings are all the fault of the man. I'm sure it's very comforting.

Exhibit numero uno why shitlibs hate school choice. Even in a school system they've driven into the ground, they still can't hope to compete. What's their answer? Lower the standards even more. Notice how quick grumps was to join in on the notion that algebra needs to go. Our very own resident embodiment of utter ignorance in all matters economic couldn't help but to proclaim loud and proud that none of this math stuff matters, not once thinking of how that might color his long and thorough track record of mathematical ignorance.

Let's go back to the tape,

This is what grumps considers to be engineering level math. Back in reality, this is math on par for what we expect from twelve year olds. Another failed public school bureaucrat pipes up that grade school level math is a civil rights violation, and grumps takes up the banner.

Maybe the funniest part was him bringing up taxes. You know you can't do the math, right? :lol:
Schools don't teach that to twelve year olds.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:13 am

BTW, I'm well aware that my example is not engineering-level math. But it is an example of math that's useless outside of engineering work.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:30 am

katarn wrote:Schools don't teach that to twelve year olds.
tisk, tisk, don't use Texas as your metric. Georgia teaches algebra as early as 6th grade. There's nothing in those equations that wouldn't be covered in algebra 1 expect for them being multi-variable.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 am

People who did not do well in a subject at school, math for example, tend to be antagonistic towards it.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:39 am

Martin Hash wrote:People who did not do well in a subject at school, math for example, tend to be antagonistic towards it.
I've tutored a lot of people who have a hard time with it, and they would agree with you that they don't like math because they have a hard time understanding it, but I don't remember any of them ever saying we need to get rid of it, because it's worthless.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:06 am

I did fine in math, except for statistics. Had to retake that one twice. (But I ended up learning it very well later in life)

Algebra was never a problem for me. I just have no use for it, and certainly wouldn't, if I had stuck with a high school diploma only.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace