The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

DBTrek

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 am

C-Mag wrote:[It's really about the technology, it just so happens a Canadian was behind the gun. The tac 50 is the real star.
So, you're saying that technology has advanced so far even Canadians can be useful now?
:twisted:

Daaaaaaaaaamn!
Smitty48, I think he's calling you out!
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:57 am

Fife wrote:Automation killing moar jerbs.
Actually it's making more jobs by killing the competition. :P
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am

Damn, he may have you there, Fife.
Looks like one job just opened up for ISIS Fighter. :lol:

Otern

Post by Otern » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:31 am

C-Mag wrote:
DBTrek wrote:RECORD-BREAKING CANADIAN SNIPER KILLS ISIS FIGHTER WITH TWO-MILE SHOT
http://www.newsweek.com/world-record-sn ... ada-628156
It's really about the technology, it just so happens a Canadian was behind the gun. The tac 50 is the real star.
But is the .50 really the best long range cartridge out there though?

Wouldn't stuff like .338 Lapua Magnum or one of those snowflake Cheytac calibers go out even further, and be more precise?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 am

DBTrek wrote:
C-Mag wrote:[It's really about the technology, it just so happens a Canadian was behind the gun. The tac 50 is the real star.
So, you're saying that technology has advanced so far even Canadians can be useful now?
:twisted:

Daaaaaaaaaamn!
Smitty48, I think he's calling you out!
What makes a Sniper impressive is not so much the shooting, I mean, you have to be able to shoot to take the Sniper Course, but it's a complete package, the course is grueling in so many ways, the stalk to the positions of observation and fire is the hardest part of the job, and it's just the overall quality of soldiering that makes them an elite, the attention to detail, the patience, the discipline, the professionalism. If the shooter was, as claimed by the media, JTF2, then that's a whole 'nother level of keen, Sniper Course, then Special Operations Assaulter Course, you can pretty much bank on anybody who makes it through all that, as being world class.

That being said, 3450m is a hell of a shot, but was it cold bore, or were they just blasting away and then finally tagged one? If it was cold bore, one shot one kill, even with the Big Mac, that would be impressive, multiple winds downrange, could be three winds at that distance. Couldn't have been shooting in a windstorm, one gueses that it was pretty dead calm to calculate for windage at two miles.

If it was just blasting away in the vicinity of the target and then they tagged one? Hey, give me a couple mags with the Big Mac, and I could probably bag one for you too. At 3450, they may not even realize what that is going by and where it's coming from, they're sort of looking around and saying "wtf is that and where is he?", they think they're in cover when they're not and then *whap* It's sort of like a firehose if you can take multiple shots, it's dropping from above, so you watch the swirls and splashes, to see where your rounds are dropping, then you just move that to where they are at.

Cold bore tho? Walk off homerun on the first pitch? Yeah, that would be a mic drop, callsign; Legend.

On the other hand, if it was JTF2, then disseminating that to the media is an opsec violation, because while I could guess that they are with the task force, officially, they are not, so investigations all around, as to who lipped off to the media, you gotta take credit for your shots in Newsweek? OK, well, RTU then, back to Sniper Platoon, buh-bye.

National Mission Force; deeds, not words.

"Are you guys JTF2?!"

"Nah, just another face in the ranks, maam, thin red line."

If I'm Trudeau, and I open up the papers to see "JTF2!", somebody is in the shit, from on high. Minister for Defence, Chief of Defence Staff, Commander CANSOFCOM, my carpet, your heels clicked together.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm

At 2.1 miles there's not a lot of stalking going on, Im not even sure with an unobstructed path the average human could see another man without optics.

Look at the top sniper shots, all the top 5 are in the last 5 years. 4 of the top 5 are from rifles adopted for service in the last 20 years, not to mention the optics and shot calculation software.

The modern snipers are very good with tools they have, but they are no Carlos Hathcock or Samo Hayha
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Indeed. Definitely no stalk at that range, prolly up on a hill in a OP overlooking no-mans land, like I said, give me the Big Mac, the thermals, the ballistic calculator, and a JTF2 spotter, I'll back some tallies for ya from there at 3 klicks. No way I'd survive the SOA course at my age, but if I can roll around in the MRZR, shooting from the OPs? Hey, put me in, coach.

But you know, we don't make a big deal about this sort of shit, like the Americans do, everybody with a book and movie deal, plenty of snipers in Canada just as good as Hathcock, but again, deeds not words, just getter done, quiet professionals don't seek fame and fortune, if they know your name, you ain't doing it right. Why is CANSOFCOM yipping to the press about how many kills they have? Budget wars? You'll get the money, calm down.

Rob Furlong took the world record sniper shot and everybody outed him. Then what happened? Next thing you know the press reports that Taliban bodies got mutilated n' such and he and his team are under some bullshit investigation for war crimes, then he left the army. They didn't mutilate shit, but, soon as they were famous, somebody in the press had to take them down a peg, multimillion dollar sniper investment, down the tubes for chickenshit, lose-lose. Fame ain't worth the pain in the ass, just keep a low profile, opsec/persec is an award unto itself.

There's no magic to being a sniper, you just have to put in the work, Carlos Hathcock wasn't born a sniper, you train snipers, its not like being a "sniper" in the NHL, those are phenoms, military sniper; just a J-O-B, follow the instructions, and the first rule of fight club, is that you don't talk about fight club; JTF2 sniper? Aren't you supposed to be in the Black?

How is it that we're hearing about this shit in the press? Isn't your credo STFU? Whatever happened to "due to scale and the limited pool for potential replacements, any compromise whatsoever of JTF2 would have disproportionate effects against the unit, in comparison to larger SOF formations like the Americans, etcetera..."? CANSOF Sniper; no book deal, no movie deal, that's not part of the deal.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:If I'm Trudeau, and I open up the papers to see "JTF2!", somebody is in the shit, from on high. Minister for Defence, Chief of Defence Staff, Commander CANSOFCOM, my carpet, your heels clicked together.
If you were Trudeau you'd have to dose pretty heavy on this before that happened:

:lol:

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:50 pm

DBTrek wrote:Damn, he may have you there, Fife.
Looks like one job just opened up for ISIS Fighter. :lol:
Kiosk vs. Kiosk ... next kill 100km

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:53 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:If I'm Trudeau, and I open up the papers to see "JTF2!", somebody is in the shit, from on high. Minister for Defence, Chief of Defence Staff, Commander CANSOFCOM, my carpet, your heels clicked together.
If you were Trudeau you'd have to dose pretty heavy on this before that happened:

:lol:
I don't think Trudeau is actually a pussy, that Native guy challenged him to a boxing match, and Trudeau beat the piss out of him. And politically, he's plenty ruthless, some Admiral leaked information from a cabinet meeting and Trudeau wasn't having that, career full stop, removed from his post, charged for leaking by the RCMP, which Trudeau sicced on him personally, I wouldn't fuck with Trudeau lightly, he's a bit of a tyrant really. If you're in the military, and you piss this PM off, by the time that hits you down in the ranks, it's gonna be moving at supersonic speed, wouldn't mess with General Vance neither, I pissed him off one time when he was Major Vance, and he chased me halfway cross the compound ripping up one side of me and down the other, I was just a buck Private, damn near shit my pants, he's fuckin' scary when he's pissed.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent