DCF Refugee Internment Camp

SuburbanFarmer

Re: DCF Refugee Internment Camp

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:#1 is certainly not universally accepted as a good thing. Also, we fought in many foreign wars previous.

Psst, he meant for the isolationists who didn't want to go to war in 1939.
I know what he meant. And calling us isolationist at that point, was kind of ironic. We'd recently fought in WW1, Spanish-American War, Civil War... We just took an 18-year break from helping to blow up the world.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:05 pm

I can tell we're settling in here because the arguments have fired up
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:06 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:No one wants to talk about Pearl harbour then on the 75th anniversary?
I know my conspiracy theory has no legs in it but there must be something to discuss.
How has it affected the psyche of the US for example.
What actual effects did it have on the US navy?
Did Japan have any choice once the US embargo on raw materials took effect?

Salute to Pearl Harbor Vets, and Pacific Vets in particular who slugged it out in rough terrain against a fanatical enemy.

There's some canned answers to your questions.
1. Shook America out of its isolationist leanings
2. The US created the largest Navy in history in the wake of the attack based on the Carrier Task Force, which is still in use today.
3. Japan probably should have concerned itself with defeating China or taking Australia away from the UK

Sidenote: The only remain Sikorsky JRS-1 was in Pearl Harbor the morning of the attack, then flew out in search of the Japanese fleet. It is now being restored. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-43

2. I meant the immediate effect on the navy. Was enough damage done to secure naval supremacy even if only for a short time?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:07 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:No one wants to talk about Pearl harbour then on the 75th anniversary?
I know my conspiracy theory has no legs in it but there must be something to discuss.

Salute to Pearl Harbor Vets, and Pacific Vets in particular who slugged it out in rough terrain against a fanatical enemy.

There's some canned answers to your questions.
1. Shook America out of its isolationist leanings
2. The US created the largest Navy in history in the wake of the attack based on the Carrier Task Force, which is still in use today.
3. Japan probably should have concerned itself with defeating China or taking Australia away from the UK

Sidenote: The only remain Sikorsky JRS-1 was in Pearl Harbor the morning of the attack, then flew out in search of the Japanese fleet. It is now being restored. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-43
Thanks for that info!

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:#1 is certainly not universally accepted as a good thing. Also, we fought in many foreign wars previous.

Yep.

Today is the day I get to tell the story of my uncle who was a 14 year old Hawaiian boy when he watch the planes and bombs drop over his head. He was working in a laundry as a boy, after the attack he spent the next 4 years as a welders assistant raising sunken ships in the harbor. Then joined the Army Air Corps. He was made an MP, and sent to Europe. He would end up serving as one of Hermann Goerings body guards at the Nuremburg Trials. Most the famous pics you see of Goering at the trial, you will see my uncle standing right beside him.

He'll be 90 soon, is still active and sharp.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:08 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Penner wrote:

I know what he meant. And calling us isolationist at that point, was kind of ironic. We'd recently fought in WW1, Spanish-American War, Civil War... We just took an 18-year break from helping to blow up the world.
I can get it. We just fought WWI but also you know, we had to stop Hitler somehow. Europe wasn't in any shape to stop him.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:09 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Penner wrote:

Yep.

Today is the day I get to tell the story of my uncle who was a 14 year old Hawaiian boy when he watch the planes and bombs drop over his head. He was working in a laundry as a boy, after the attack he spent the next 4 years as a welders assistant raising sunken ships in the harbor. Then joined the Army Air Corps. He was made an MP, and sent to Europe. He would end up serving as one of Hermann Goerings body guards at the Nuremburg Trials. Most the famous pics you see of Goering at the trial, you will see my uncle standing right beside him.

That's seriously cool... I hope you've picked his brain clean of interesting stories.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:11 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Reaching too hard, man. Too much effort.

I think Pearl Harbor has officially passed into the historical record at this point. As Dan was talking about in the beginning of WoK, we're finally emotionally 'removed' from the event now. Not much left to say about it, now..
Actually, there's a new book out about it just this year.

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Harbor-Gre ... arl+harbor

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
2. I meant the immediate effect on the navy. Was enough damage done to secure naval supremacy even if only for a short time?
While Pearl Harbor was a lopsided Tactical victory, it was probably a Strategic failure. The Japanese failed in many areas that day, and probably should have sent in a 3rd wave to complete most of the strategic objectives.

Failures
1. Failed to destroy the dry docks at Pearl
- these dry docks would be used to repair all the sunken ships.
- all the ships sunken, we raised and saw action in WWII, except the Arizona.
2. Failed to hit the major Fuel and Munitions Depots
3. Failed to take out the Intelligence section at Pearl that had cracked Purple
4, Missed the Aircraft Carriers that would be used at Coral Sea

There Naval dominance was Fleeting :lol:
It may have turned out differently, but pissed off American Flyers destroyed 4 Carriers a mere 7 months later at Midway. From then on it was the Americans growing in strength and the Imperial Navy failing to keep up.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Penner wrote:

Yep.

That's seriously cool... I hope you've picked his brain clean of interesting stories.
Some, not enough. I didn't know he was at the Nuremburg Trials until about 15 years ago. I asked him about Goering poisoning himself. He said, "I was just Damn glad I wasn't on duty that day ! "
He did tell me he's positive who gave Goering the poison.
PLATA O PLOMO