NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Rantanen is good, this is what I mean, Colorado is not that bad, but Rantanen is no Marner, bear in mind, Marner is being underrated, but only because he is in the shadow of McDavid and Matthews, but I rank Marner at three, behind only those two, the last two drafts just happened to be generational superdafts, in a normal year, Marner would be first overall with a bullet.

You could just tell what the problem was in Colorado, as soon as Mackinnon got to play with Marner, Mackinnon doesn't have a pivot to unlock his potential, but Colorado is just one player like that away, from Mackinnon being lights out all the way to the playoffs.

But, player "like Marner"? You're talking Patrick Kane. There is no poor man's Marner, anymore than there is a poor man's Patrick Kane.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 pm

We are a little better positioned than Edmonton before they drafted McDavid and Draisaitl and Toronto before they drafted Matthews and Marner.

How comforting, we just need one of those caliber players and we can turn it all around. They are so easy to come by these days.
Ugh.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 pm

True enough, but I feel your pain, I mean, I'm a Leafs fan; Matthews and Marner; I'm still in shock right now. Already, the best players, to ever play for the Leafs, better than Sundin and Gilmour, better than Keon and Sittler, I've watched them all, Matthews and Marner, at 19 years old, are the best players to ever play for the Leafs, all time, no exaggeration.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Best player on the ice for Canada at the World's, Mitchell Marner. Nathan MacKinnon may have one more point, at the moment, but we both know which guy has looked more impressive to this point.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Marner gets picked up for the fouth line, a week later he's the franchise, this is what I mean, people are sleeping on Marner, because of the Matthews effect, but Marner was the straw stirring the Mackinnon drink, Mackinnon was plenty impressive; as soon as he had Marner quarterbacking for him.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Marner gets picked up for the fouth line, a week later he's the franchise, this is what I mean, people are sleeping on Marner, because of the Matthews effect, but Marner was the straw stirring the Mackinnon drink, Mackinnon was plenty impressive; as soon as he had Marner quarterbacking for him.
Thankfully Arizona sucks at drafting. They've got to be kicking themselves now, instead they draft the Center who can't skate. Leafs laughing all the way to the bank.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:16 pm

I was nervous, bear in mind, I've been watching Marner since he was 13, I drove to London many times, just to watch Marner, I've been a huge Marner fan for years now, the only thing which was more tense than Arizona pontentially stealing him from me, was the draft lottery for Matthews.

That's the thing though, people have been sleeping on Marner for years, Arizona was sleeping on him with everybody else, thank goodness Mark Hunter was in the mix, Shanahan, baby, 6ix God of the 6ix God's now, Shanahan has transformed this franchise, it's literally Bizarrro World.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 2:49 pm

What do you think of Owen Tippett? Worth taking at four with Heiskanen gone? Seems like high risk, high reward type pick, but you've probably seen a lot more of the kid than I have, so is he boom or bust? Not that I wouldn't rather draft defense at four anyway, just curious. Seems like too much of a reach to me, James Neal 2.0 territory.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Maybe if the Avs trade down, but tbh, if were going to trade that far down for a "power forward", I would consider Rasmussen, I mean, he's 6'5" 215lbs, plays center, he's huge, and he can actually skate, in terms of risk/reward, the reward may be better.

Style wise, think Ryan Getzlaf.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu May 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Dammit boys, I'm getting a wee bit jacked up for game 4! :goteam: :drunk: