Public School Education System Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:46 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:That's just kindergarten stuff.

For digital signal processing code used in something like a base radio for a wireless network, you deal with stuff like Fourier series:

For my machine learning code I have been writing the backpropagation library was based on some differential equations and algebra:

What you posted pretty much everybody should be able to do who has a high school diploma. It's not anywhere near engineering-level mathematics.

The stuff I encountered in graduate school was brutal compared to this stuff I posted here. This is just run of the mill mathematics.
Engineering. Not something you'd encounter with a high school degree.

Exactly. What you posted was high school algebra. Everybody should be able to do it.
I suppose, but why? Leave that stuff in the universities. I don't need my burger cook to work out toppings with a quadratic equation.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:05 pm

We're talking about the basic algebra you posted. That stuff everybody should be able to do in order to graduate high school. You said that was only for engineers and I showed you some basic run-of-the-mill mathematics I use or have used as an engineer. It's a lot more involved than that mickey mouse shit you learn in high school, and the stuff I posted was relatively easy. Ask Hash to post some of the stuff you need to calculate nurbs and do all the transforms in an animation suite.

You need basic algebra to do simple things like rebuild an engine or build a roof to your house, man.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:31 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Engineering. Not something you'd encounter with a high school degree.

Exactly. What you posted was high school algebra. Everybody should be able to do it.
I suppose, but why? Leave that stuff in the universities. I don't need my burger cook to work out toppings with a quadratic equation.
Did you forget the part about this being an expectation to earn a degree?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Right, and I admitted that I misunderstood the article.

However, I am wondering what use any of that is in a highschool education. It seems completely unnecessary. If you're going to use it, great, but that's not going to happen without a degree anyway.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:05 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

However, I am wondering what use any of that is in a highschool education. It seems completely unnecessary. If you're going to use it, great, but that's not going to happen without a degree anyway.
do burger flippers need to know about the battle of new orleans? should we remove history from school, too? how far are we going to gut education before we get it close enough to the minimum needed by the lowest rungs of society to satisfy you?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Schools have, for a long time, recognized that not every student needs the foundation necessary to become an engineer. That's why schools have had vocational courses for decades. Shop class and wood working classes have been replaced with computer classes, but the idea is still there.

Lol, IT is the new trade school.

College STEM degree plans begin with calculus. If you reduce high school math requirements down to only what a burger flipper needs to know, you'll extend college by at least two years.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 pm

We'd be better off closing down high schools and directing kids to college or trade school like we used to do before this indoctrination nightmare began. College freshmen back in the 19th century were just kids.

High school hasn't taught kids enough to justify the financial outlays for some time now. I think if you go back to the early 1960s, you'd see pretty much the high point for civics and effectiveness of government programs. Everything after that has been decline and increased dysfunction.

If I had my way, every kid would become an adult at age 21, and will graduate from a university or from a trade school. They will be able to start their careers debt-free because we will subsidize undergraduate programs and trade schools (suck it, Fife). At 21, you are either an entry-level professional or you are now a journeyman. We have to dial this shit back to the 19th century. I am not even kidding. Go backwards with education in order to make progress.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Hmmmm, when was the Department of Education formed? And what good has it done since?
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

do burger flippers need to know about the battle of new orleans? should we remove history from school, too? how far are we going to gut education before we get it close enough to the minimum needed by the lowest rungs of society to satisfy you?
Enough for the opportunity to absorb some culture and perspective on human life. I'd prefer more focus on history/art/science... pretty much anything to a useless and easily forgotten math skill.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace