The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Smitty-48

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Hastur wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Technically I suppose, it was actually "Stormrifle". But again, don't brame me, Rabbi; literally Hitler.
In a military context the german word sturm translate as assault. That is the word used for violently attacking a fortified enemy position. Same in Swedish.
It's no different in English, "storm" is also a synonym for assault, as in "storm the barricades".

Storm; verb; (of troops) suddenly attack and capture (a building or other place) by means of force.

"Assault" is actually an Old French word, from "assaut"; to attack, which, im Deutsch, ist "angreifen"

But again; literally Hitler; Sturmgewehr war ein Wunderwaffen, so it's entirely plausible that it was invoking a double entendre, "sturm" as in "assault", while also "Sturm!" as in "Sturm und Drang", the name after all, was chosen for propaganda purposes, the original name was actually; Maschinekarabiner.

The Nazis wanted to give their Machinecarbines a more agressive name, whereas Americans now want to pussify their Assault Rifles into "Home Defense" faggotry.

Mind you, I suppose the Nazis might appreciate the Orwellian nature of calling it Landesverteidigung, although really the Americans mean Hausverteidigung, which the Nazis would also say was pussified, because that makes it sound like it's a Fraugewehr.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:53 am

I took a German class for 2 semesters years ago. I would always ask the teacher questions about what does this work mean etc, and she could tell that I had heard this stuff from WW2 movies or schindlers list type things lol. She got very tired of it quick. She probably would have put me in a vernichtungslager if she had the chance. She was cool about it for the most part though.

Best german word or phrase has got to be lebensnwertes Leben or maybe the more innocuous studenten wohngemeinschaft

The weird thing about German is how they jam a bunch of words together to make a specific word that has little to no application outside of one meaning. They will cram a bunch of words together for something that can only be used without ambiguity in one instance, which is like have the equivalent of a $2.73 dollar bill or a $23.46 dollar bill. If you are buying something for that price, cool. I guess they aren't too worried about it.
Last edited by heydaralon on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:59 am

Fraugewehr
But the m4 is a gril gun. Unless you're Gersh Kuntzmen.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm

This is a rhodesian shotgun nicknamed the streetsweeper. It is pretty cool looking but I saw a video where this guy shot it and he said it is not a good weapon. Apparently the drum is unwieldy and hard to reload. I like the look of it a lot.

Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Look up Rhodesian rounds and bolo shot

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Are you talking about the Jungle ones? It says they have bird shot and buckshot. Wouldn't wanna get hit with that. There was a youtube channel called Taofledermaus where they fired bolo rounds from a shot gun. The chain actually stayed together. I forget where, but I saw a South African (I think) guy fire some kind of incendiary shotgun rounds at a mannequin and it started burning like a bonfire immediately. I think they might have been magnesium but I'm not sure.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Yeah bird shot is to clear the foliage

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:15 pm

This is gnarly.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:40 pm

heydaralon wrote:This is a rhodesian shotgun nicknamed the streetsweeper. It is pretty cool looking but I saw a video where this guy shot it and he said it is not a good weapon. Apparently the drum is unwieldy and hard to reload. I like the look of it a lot.

It's not Rhodesian, the designer Hilton Walker moved to South Africa where it was produced by Armsel, but as you say, drum mag is a pain in the ass, go for the Benelli instead, if price is an issue, then Mossberg 930.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:49 pm

I'd rather a saiga. Beneli is nice for 2k. You want a nice expensive gun for when you shoot a man and the police confiscate it (you don't get it back and I don't advocate shooting people get a 200 dollar maverick 88)