Literal Odds and Ends

Montegriffo

Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:35 am

California wrote:They are cute

Any theories on to why they are becoming endangered?
Usual story, loss of habitat due to intensive farming and loss of hedgerows.
Add a little climate change for good measure and they're going the way of many of our birds and animals.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/201 ... le-a.shtml
So why is this? Well, with nature, there are always many factors at play but our changing and unpredictable weather seems to be the biggest culprit. Imagine a cold, hard winter with prolonged frost and long periods of snow cover, followed by a dry but not particularly warm spring. Sounds familiar doesn't it? If you believe the weather predictions, this winter is going to bring more of the same.This spring, hedgehogs that made it through hibernation woke up as the days warmed up and lengthened, only to find there was little spring rain in many parts of the country. As a consequence, the bugs, beetles, worms and other invertebrates they rely on for food were in short supply. This meant that their the breeding season was delayed and although the first litters of hoglets will have survived, the second litters were born very late.
I've not heard a cuckoo for 3 or 4 years now, red squirels are almost gone now. Even house sparrows are becoming rarer.
Many species of birds have had a fall in numbers of upto 70% since I was a kid in the 70's.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:43 am

I miss the Skylark. I remember hearing them all the time when I was young. Seeing them hovering above the meadows. Now the hay is harvested much sooner so most skylar chicks end up inside these.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:26 am

Man you Europeans have really fucked things up.

I still have plenty of wildlife and I live in the closest thing to a dystopian wasteland as possible in the 1st World

I mean, our rivers look like this

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:42 am

California wrote:Man you Europeans have really fucked things up.

I still have plenty of wildlife and I live in the closest thing to a dystopian wasteland as possible in the 1st World

Feral cats and mosquitos don't count as "wildlife" :lol:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 am

California wrote:

I saw my problems and I'll see the light
We got a lovin' thing, we gotta feed it right
There ain't no danger we can go too far
We start believin' now that we can be who we are, grease is the word

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Fife wrote:
California wrote:They are cute

Any theories on to why they are becoming endangered?
Habitat damage caused by traveling circuses.
:lol:

This board probably has the best avatar game on the internet.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Just got a notice from Comcast that their TOS has changed.....
ADDITIONAL XFINITY INTERNET TERMS

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR COMPUTER OR OTHER DEVICES MAY NEED TO BE OPENED, UPDATED, ACCESSED OR USED EITHER BY YOU OR BY US OR OUR AGENTS, IN CONNECTION WITH THE INSTALLATION, UPDATING OR REPAIR OF XFINITY INTERNET SERVICE). THE OPENING, ACCESSING OR USE OF YOUR COMPUTER, OTHER DEVICES USED IN CONNECTION WITH XFINITY INTERNET MAY VOID WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY THE COMPUTER OR OTHER DEVICE MANUFACTURER OR OTHER PARTIES RELATING TO THE COMPUTER’S OR DEVICE’S HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE. NEITHER COMCAST NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, OR AGENTS, SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER AS THE RESULT OF THE VOIDING OF ANY SUCH WARRANTIES.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
Ownership of Addresses. You acknowledge that use of XFINITY Internet does not give you any ownership or other rights in any Internet/on-line addresses provided to you, including, but not limited to, Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses, e-mail addresses, and Web addresses. We may modify or change these addresses at any time without notice and shall in no way be required to compensate you for these changes. Upon termination of an XFINITY Internet account, we reserve the right permanently to delete or remove any or all addresses associated with the account.
Authorization. Comcast does not claim any ownership of any material that you publish, transmit or distribute using XFINITY Internet. By using XFINITY Internet to publish, transmit, or distribute material or content, you (1) warrant that the material or content complies with the provisions of this Agreement, (2) consent to and authorize Comcast, its agents, suppliers, and affiliates to reproduce, publish, distribute, and display the content worldwide and (3) warrant that you have the right to provide this authorization. You acknowledge that material posted or transmitted using XFINITY Internet may be copied, republished or distributed by third parties, and you agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Comcast, its agents, suppliers, and affiliates for any harm resulting from these actions.
Copyright. Title and intellectual property rights to XFINITY Internet are owned by Comcast, its agents, suppliers, or affiliates or their licensors or otherwise by the owners of such material and are protected by copyright laws and treaties. You may not copy, redistribute, resell, or publish any part of XFINITY Internet without any required express prior written consent from Comcast or other owner of such material.
Material Downloaded Through XFINITY Internet. In addition to any content that may be provided by us, you may access material through XFINITY Internet that is not owned by Comcast. Specific terms and conditions may apply to your use of any content or material made available through XFINITY Internet that is not owned by Comcast. You should read those terms and conditions to learn how they apply to you and your use of any non-Comcast content.

Nice - real nice....I know I know, private entity.....I shouldn't bitch....but dam.....

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 pm

someone seems to have given the order to put the thing to the floor.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 am

Zlaxer wrote:Just got a notice from Comcast that their TOS has changed.....
ADDITIONAL XFINITY INTERNET TERMS

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR COMPUTER OR OTHER DEVICES MAY NEED TO BE OPENED, UPDATED, ACCESSED OR USED EITHER BY YOU OR BY US OR OUR AGENTS, IN CONNECTION WITH THE INSTALLATION, UPDATING OR REPAIR OF XFINITY INTERNET SERVICE). THE OPENING, ACCESSING OR USE OF YOUR COMPUTER, OTHER DEVICES USED IN CONNECTION WITH XFINITY INTERNET MAY VOID WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY THE COMPUTER OR OTHER DEVICE MANUFACTURER OR OTHER PARTIES RELATING TO THE COMPUTER’S OR DEVICE’S HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE. NEITHER COMCAST NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, OR AGENTS, SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER AS THE RESULT OF THE VOIDING OF ANY SUCH WARRANTIES.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
Ownership of Addresses. You acknowledge that use of XFINITY Internet does not give you any ownership or other rights in any Internet/on-line addresses provided to you, including, but not limited to, Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses, e-mail addresses, and Web addresses. We may modify or change these addresses at any time without notice and shall in no way be required to compensate you for these changes. Upon termination of an XFINITY Internet account, we reserve the right permanently to delete or remove any or all addresses associated with the account.
Authorization. Comcast does not claim any ownership of any material that you publish, transmit or distribute using XFINITY Internet. By using XFINITY Internet to publish, transmit, or distribute material or content, you (1) warrant that the material or content complies with the provisions of this Agreement, (2) consent to and authorize Comcast, its agents, suppliers, and affiliates to reproduce, publish, distribute, and display the content worldwide and (3) warrant that you have the right to provide this authorization. You acknowledge that material posted or transmitted using XFINITY Internet may be copied, republished or distributed by third parties, and you agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Comcast, its agents, suppliers, and affiliates for any harm resulting from these actions.
Copyright. Title and intellectual property rights to XFINITY Internet are owned by Comcast, its agents, suppliers, or affiliates or their licensors or otherwise by the owners of such material and are protected by copyright laws and treaties. You may not copy, redistribute, resell, or publish any part of XFINITY Internet without any required express prior written consent from Comcast or other owner of such material.
Material Downloaded Through XFINITY Internet. In addition to any content that may be provided by us, you may access material through XFINITY Internet that is not owned by Comcast. Specific terms and conditions may apply to your use of any content or material made available through XFINITY Internet that is not owned by Comcast. You should read those terms and conditions to learn how they apply to you and your use of any non-Comcast content.

Nice - real nice....I know I know, private entity.....I shouldn't bitch....but dam.....
Why exactly should we 'not bitch' about being abused by a private entity? Is it somehow more virtuous than being abused by government?

Or are we, perhaps, willing to accept anything to protect The Narrative?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 am

LOL

Most of them are changing their tune now that their groups are getting kicked off the Internet by private entities, with no real recourse.

Nukedog comes to mind. He was lambasting anybody who wanted a civilian regulatory body keeping the internet neutral -- until the private corporations started ghosting the alt-right from the internet with impunity.

I thought about replying in his thread: "Who's the alt-right? Can you link to one of their web pages so I can read more? No? I guess they are not real then."