The Comic Thread

Penner

Re: The Comic Thread

Post by Penner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Mercury wrote:Totally agree on the DCCU. Haven't seen Suicide Squad, but Dawn of Justice was a train wreck.
For me, Man of Steel fell apart roughly half-way through the second act (actually we honestly didn't need to spend like 20-30 on Krypton either) and well, SvB is basically- "your mother's name is also Marsha?" I haven't seen SS yet, but in all honestly the trailers are superb. I just wish the movies were good but maybe if I just come in looking for a good time and not a good story I might just like SS.

Although, the DC TV shows seem to be the opposite of the movies and are actually kind of thriving on their own. Now, only if AoS gets its act together and rises above, in my opinion, to the low bar of mediocre TV consistently- then who knows.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Deadpool was pretty awesome... the protagonist was such a kick... millennial superhero... no doubt a different breed.

Wasn't Hellboy pretty cool... Saw it a while ago.

Avengers - age of Ultron - was fun... not great, but fun.

Oh ya... Definitely check out Antman!
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Antman was a good one. Loved the Stan Lee cameo.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:49 pm

The netflix Daredevil series is pretty good too. Punisher and Elektra in season 2.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:58 pm

Mercury wrote:Antman was a good one. Loved the Stan Lee cameo.
Stan Lee is in all Marvel projects, even ones made by FOX.

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:15 pm

I remember, a few years back, listening to some pop-culture podcast in which a tv writer was being interviewed. This guy (I'll call him Steve, can't recall his name) had written for the live-action Incredible Hulk series in the '70s and was talking about how, after he submitted his first script for the show, his phone rang...

Steve:Hello?
Caller:Hello Steve, this is Stan Lee. I've read the script you submitted.
Steve:Did you like it?
Caller:I like the part where he fights the bear.
Steve:OK
Caller:But it's not very realistic. the Hulk could easily tear a bear to pieces.
Steve:Yeah ...well, you know, on television we can't...
Caller:That's why it should be a robot bear.
Steve:What?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Penner wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
that was a good TV series
I remember it well.
The series was praised for its thematic complexity, darker tone, artistic quality, film noir aesthetics, and modernization of its title character's crime-fighting origins.[4]
Did you know two things also about this series;

1. It gave Mr. Freeze a proper backstory, and the show's backstory was so much better than the one that Mr. Freeze had in the comics that the comics adapted the show's backstory and made that the official backstory of Mr. Freeze?

2. Harley Quinn was actually created for the Animated Series and was such a hit, that they made her an official comic book character.
I just bought a Harley Quinn wall calendar from the 99 cent store. Pretty sweet for a buck.

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:19 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Penner wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
I remember it well.
Did you know two things also about this series;

1. It gave Mr. Freeze a proper backstory, and the show's backstory was so much better than the one that Mr. Freeze had in the comics that the comics adapted the show's backstory and made that the official backstory of Mr. Freeze?

2. Harley Quinn was actually created for the Animated Series and was such a hit, that they made her an official comic book character.

I just bought a Harley Quinn wall calendar from the 99 cent store. Pretty sweet for a buck.
Movie version, comic book version, or Batman: The Animated Series version?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Seems like the animated series version.

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:30 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Seems like the animated series version.
The animated version is, IMO, the best version of her.