Social Justice Warriors Thread

Martin Hash

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:26 pm
Anyway, I hope you can find a community like the one I stumbled into all those years ago.
I'll give you points for that even if you didn't intend it to be irony. (You, juggler, you.)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:21 am
Thx, those were kind words.

My overarching goal is increased wisdom. Everytime I do something big, I come out of it feeling, "geez, how come I didn't know that? What a clueless idiot I am." I have lots of experiences in lots of things, however there's a rarified level of experience that only fame can achieve; I think, I don't know? That's why I'm doing it. Probably fail anyway.

p.s. My LinkedIn and FB homepage got multiple hits this week. Seems like the queries to Joe Rogan and Tim Ferriss sparked some interest. Probably nothing more will happen given that I never heard back, but there was a cause-and-effect there that maybe we can use in the future? How would we know if I hadn't been on a "Make Martin Famous" campaign?
Fame is another term of being in the right place at the right time. Another term for that is lucky. Those who have wealth and fame were lucky to get both, otherwise, it would be easier to be famous and rich.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:35 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Anyway, I hope you can find a community like the one I stumbled into all those years ago.
I'll give you points for that even if you didn't intend it to be irony. (You, juggler, you.)
You will have to explain the irony to me, I can't see it (I'm not as wyse as you though).
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Think immigration.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
jediuser598 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 am

I think you're running into the same problem I'm running into, you need a community. I remember a time where I was truly happy, I was part of a community that respected me, and that valued me as a member, and even if I didn't give, would have my back because they liked me for me. It was enough, they were enough.

Ever since I lost that tribe, I've been looking for the same thing in the wider world. Haven't found it, but still looking.
I find that the best communities revolve around a shared interest. It might be going to home games and meeting the same season ticket holders with seats adjacent to yours week in week out. It could be a shared love of God with the people at your local church.
In my case it's a community of jugglers. 25 years plus of going to juggling conventions has given me most of my best friends and it's a strong community with a very close bond. In Oxford last week I saw an old friend I'd not seen for about 3 years, we were able to sit down and chat as if I'd only seen her the week before. I've known her since she was 15 and she is now pushing 40 ( I often joke that I've known her since before she was legal until she was over the hill).
My own juggling convention (Bungay Balls Up) is celebrating it's 20th anniversary next May and the same 100 people (give or take a few rare examples) have been coming every year since it started.
What interests do you have? Find out if there is a local club or group who share the same interest and go along, you will likely make lifelong friends in a community of like minded people.
The DCF and MHF are strong communities but lack the face to face meetings which cement those friendships built up over the years (although some members do meet up when they get the chance).
It would be great if we could all accept Martin's invitation to go to his Christmas party one year and put faces to the names of the friends and adversaries we have here. I'd love to but there is an ocean and the width of a continent between me and Martin's chateau.
For sure. That's awesome.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:05 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:39 pm
Martin Hash wrote:

My overarching goal is increased wisdom. Everytime I do something big, I come out of it feeling, "geez, how come I didn't know that? What a clueless idiot I am." I have lots of experiences in lots of things, however there's a rarified level of experience that only fame can achieve; I think, I don't know? That's why I'm doing it. Probably fail anyway.

p.s. My LinkedIn and FB homepage got multiple hits this week. Seems like the queries to Joe Rogan and Tim Ferriss sparked some interest. Probably nothing more will happen given that I never heard back, but there was a cause-and-effect there that maybe we can use in the future? How would we know if I hadn't been on a "Make Martin Famous" campaign?
Fame is another term of being in the right place at the right time. Another term for that is lucky. Those who have wealth and fame were lucky to get both, otherwise, it would be easier to be famous and rich.
I'd rather be rich than famous, given the choice of one or the other. Fame removes some level of privacy in your life, paparazzi, journalists wanting interviews, etc. I'd rather be able to just enjoy life without all that kind of nonsense/attention.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:10 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:39 pm
Martin Hash wrote:

You must of read my book! (Or at least my "Lucktocracy" postings.) Accomplishments & achievements, not luck. Fame & wealth, luck.

"You can buy more tickets but it's still a long chance that you'll ever win the lottery." - me

"There are 10,000 people just as capable as the guy who got the $250K/yr job because of his uncle." - me

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
You will have to explain the irony to me, I can't see it (I'm not as wyse as you though).
stumbled... juggler... (Are we going to have to work on this together?)

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:11 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 pm
Martin Hash wrote:

stumbled... juggler... (Are we going to have to work on this together?)
I wondered if that was what you thought ironic. Thing is when jugglers fuck up it is known as a ''drop'' not a ''stumble''.
I'll take the points anyway though.
Do points mean prizes?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:09 pm