Social Justice Warriors Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 am

Have you tried Meetup.com? There's a lot of weird shit on there, but a few of them might be okay.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 am

I am pretty sure viewing your life as a play is a sign of a dissociative identity disorder.

You don't have an altar in your house with hair clippings and pictures with the eyes cut out, do you?
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:08 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 am
I am pretty sure viewing your life as a play is a sign of a dissociative identity disorder.

You don't have an altar in your house with hair clippings and pictures with the eyes cut out, do you?
No. Disassociation is more like sitting in a movie theater and viewing your experience of life as something akin to an external movie playing on a screen that you are separated from, as if it's not happening to you.

Disassociation from physical pain is what took me out of work in the end.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 am

jediuser598 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am
Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am
jediuser598 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:42 am

Ah well, was worth a try.

To each their own
Exactly. Proof that you’re a liberty person too.

p.s. It’s not like I don’t suspect there are people out there who have wisdom I could benefit from, I just haven’t met them. Perhaps if I was famous, wise people who don’t know I exist will give me a call and explain secrets of the universe I don’t yet understand.
I'm not fond of telling others how to live their life. Pursue what makes you happy. I thought about trying to find people outside of my usual bubble of experience, one of my ideas was to just set up two seats, and a table in Seattle with a sign the says, "let's talk." The problem is, for me at least, I need more interesting people to talk to, or interested/interesting community that I can be a part of. I'm looking for leads. Famous might be one way to address this problem, but is it the only way? It's certainly one of the hardest paths to take and relies a lot on luck that costs.

Setting up a table in Seattle costs nothing except the costs of chair and tables. Of course don't run a foul of the law.

I imagine my life as a sort of play, and I want to fire a few of the actors and hire new, interesting ones. Casting.
A lot of wisdom in that post.

p.s. I try to keep my posts around here interesting, which sometimes means surprise, and other times provocation; this whole fame-seeking bent has elements of both. I hope they help with your inspiration.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:13 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 am

My fiction book's protangonist has DID. He floats above himself and watches while he's committing violence. It's a very eerie concept; I hope it makes the book famous.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:16 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 am
Have you tried Meetup.com? There's a lot of weird shit on there, but a few of them might be okay.
I tried several MeetUps; travel, writing, making connections. (Come to think of it, I should write a MM about them.) I'm a long way down the road; nobody has traveled as much as me, nobody has written as much as me, nobody has had as many connections as me; at least not locally, and definitely not people who aren't even 40. If you're under 40, I think MeetUps are great.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:41 am

I never really thought about actions that have moral consequences when you are disassociating. I do know that when it happened to me, it was for a short period of time, and it was more like zoning out. I would be sitting at a work station writing code, the pain was horrific, and then everything became distant and it was like I was watching it from some detached place. But I wasn't still writing code when it happened. I just stopped and sat there for a moment and something told me to stand up and try to reduce the pain from prolonged sitting posture.

I remember that Casey Anthony had it. I think their last-ditch defense was to fall back on it if she were convicted. I could see her kind of doing it in the courtroom, though I am not sure if she was acting.

I have read it was common in ancient times when battle was all melee and more brutal for people to disassociate during battle.

I have not been in that kind of pain in a very long time, and have not experienced it since, so it's kind of hard to remember a lot of the details of the experience other than it being really strange.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:44 am

As far as viewing your life as something akin to a play, I think pretty much everybody does that. In fact, if you don't do that, then you might have self-worth issues. You probably should see yourself as a protagonist in some kind of play. Try to be the protagonist and not the villain. Make the play worth watching when you have to go through the whole thing again in detail during judgment.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:26 pm

jediuser598 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 am

I think you're running into the same problem I'm running into, you need a community. I remember a time where I was truly happy, I was part of a community that respected me, and that valued me as a member, and even if I didn't give, would have my back because they liked me for me. It was enough, they were enough.

Ever since I lost that tribe, I've been looking for the same thing in the wider world. Haven't found it, but still looking.
I find that the best communities revolve around a shared interest. It might be going to home games and meeting the same season ticket holders with seats adjacent to yours week in week out. It could be a shared love of God with the people at your local church.
In my case it's a community of jugglers. 25 years plus of going to juggling conventions has given me most of my best friends and it's a strong community with a very close bond. In Oxford last week I saw an old friend I'd not seen for about 3 years, we were able to sit down and chat as if I'd only seen her the week before. I've known her since she was 15 and she is now pushing 40 ( I often joke that I've known her since before she was legal until she was over the hill).
My own juggling convention (Bungay Balls Up) is celebrating it's 20th anniversary next May and the same 100 people (give or take a few rare examples) have been coming every year since it started.
What interests do you have? Find out if there is a local club or group who share the same interest and go along, you will likely make lifelong friends in a community of like minded people.
The DCF and MHF are strong communities but lack the face to face meetings which cement those friendships built up over the years (although some members do meet up when they get the chance).
It would be great if we could all accept Martin's invitation to go to his Christmas party one year and put faces to the names of the friends and adversaries we have here. I'd love to but there is an ocean and the width of a continent between me and Martin's chateau.
Anyway, I hope you can find a community like the one I stumbled into all those years ago.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:44 am
As far as viewing your life as something akin to a play, I think pretty much everybody does that. In fact, if you don't do that, then you might have self-worth issues. You probably should see yourself as a protagonist in some kind of play. Try to be the protagonist and not the villain. Make the play worth watching when you have to go through the whole thing again in detail during judgment.
Agreed for the most part.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson