Public School Education System Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:22 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Ph64 wrote:I had to do a double-take on that article... here I was thinking this was like a college acceptance thing, and seriously I thought algebra was a requirement for fucking HS graduation - like it was back in my day. But they're talking *college* graduation without algebra?!?

All I can say is holy fuck, education in this country is screwed if we've fallen this far.
Oh I fucked up. I thought this was about high school too. Yeah fire that guy.
Algebra is an eighth grade course in Georgia. After that you take geometry, algebra 2, trigonometry, and finally pre-calculus your senior year. Only then are you ready to take Cal 1 your freshman year of college. Anyone talking about algebra being a bridge too far or a bar too high has no business being anywhere near education.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:27 am

:arrow:
Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Ph64 wrote:I had to do a double-take on that article... here I was thinking this was like a college acceptance thing, and seriously I thought algebra was a requirement for fucking HS graduation - like it was back in my day. But they're talking *college* graduation without algebra?!?

All I can say is holy fuck, education in this country is screwed if we've fallen this far.
Oh I fucked up. I thought this was about high school too. Yeah fire that guy.
Algebra is an eighth grade course in Georgia. After that you take geometry, algebra 2, trigonometry, and finally pre-calculus your senior year. Only then are you ready to take Cal 1 your freshman year of college. Anyone talking about algebra being a bridge too far or a bar too high has no business being anywhere near education.
I took algebra in both high school and college. I agree that basic algebra, geometry, and even some trig are important to be familiar with. But beyond the basics, advanced algebra doesn't serve a purpose in high school degree labor.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:29 am

The only algebra beyond that is linear algebra.

What you described is literally algebra. Everything else that engineers and scientists learn as undergrads involves things like calculus, differential equations, discrete mathematics, probability and statistics.

These people are taking away the fundamental building block of an advanced society.

Maybe college isn't the right place for most of the students who go there now??

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:39 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
We can definitely agree on this. BUT: consider a student going to college for a history, or other arts degree. Should there be an advanced algebra requirement?
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:39 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Maybe college isn't the right place for most of the students who go there now??
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am

In a local election, minor really in the Washington State House scheme of things, in a totally Democrat district, down to 2 Democrat female teachers, the Teacher's Union gave 1 of the Democrat female teachers $1 million campaign donation because she was supposedly an even stronger supporter of the Teacher's Union than the other. Jesus Christ, talk about power!
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 am

Eh, let the proles dumb down their "colleges." - they're just fucking themselves over - something which proles are adept at.

The educated will continue to educate their blood lines, and the proles will become more entrapped......stupid proles......

apeman

Post by apeman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
We can definitely agree on this. BUT: consider a student going to college for a history, or other arts degree. Should there be an advanced algebra requirement?
Liberal arts undergrad isnt really about specialization -- these kids have no clue what they will do for a living -- it is about foundation, with a pinch of specialization.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
It is not advanced algebra. It is literally 8th grade algebra. I deal with it every day.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 pm

apeman wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Liberal arts undergrad isnt really about specialization -- these kids have no clue what they will do for a living -- it is about foundation, with a pinch of specialization.
It used to be where kids became adults by BREAKING OUT of indoctrination, but now it's more about being indoctrinated.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change