Trump's SCOTUS

Fife

Re: Trump's SCOTUS

Post by Fife » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Kennedy is a good man. As a reader of most of his opinions for over 30 years now (gulp) I really mean that.

I have no doubt that he deserves, at about 80 years old, a good chance at a decent retirement. I also think that he is more inclined to retire now that he sees Justice Gorsuch is the kind of dude that will take his place.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:43 pm

C-Mag wrote:Bloggers on both the Right and Left are tweeting that Justice Kennedy is retiring soon, very soon, like in a week or less.

:shock:
Yeah his reunion he does every so often with whoever got pushed up a year early. That's where all the talk started with him retiring.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Fife wrote:Kennedy is a good man. As a reader of most of his opinions for over 30 years now (gulp) I really mean that.

I have no doubt that he deserves, at about 80 years old, a good chance at a decent retirement. I also think that he is more inclined to retire now that he sees Justice Gorsuch is the kind of dude that will take his place.
Do you think Trump will make a smart play and replace him with another swing type guy? Kennedy's pretty good on the stuff that's most important to me, but I think choosing a more conservative type at this point would not be in the nation's best interest.
I wouldn't react the same, if Ginsberg rumors were floating, however.
:obscene-birdiedoublered:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Fife wrote:Kennedy is a good man. As a reader of most of his opinions for over 30 years now (gulp) I really mean that.

Do you think Trump will make a smart play and replace him with another swing type guy? Kennedy's pretty good on the stuff that's most important to me, but I think choosing a more conservative type at this point would not be in the nation's best interest.

Negative. He has the power to wipe out the left for a generation at the national level. No compromise. If they had their way, you'd be in a gulag, so fuck them.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:

I think Trump will be most likely to just stick to his roster, and call the next guy up from AAA from his last list (I made a post on some thread about the good, the bad, and the ugly; with Gorsuch as the "good."). We could do a lot worse, and if he goes looking for the next Gorsuch, we might do much better.

While I think he's getting some rotten advice on foreign relations, I think that there are some Judge Nap types giving him the straight dope on judicial appointments.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: Do you think Trump will make a smart play and replace him with another swing type guy? Kennedy's pretty good on the stuff that's most important to me, but I think choosing a more conservative type at this point would not be in the nation's best interest.

Negative. He has the power to wipe out the left for a generation at the national level. No compromise. If they had their way, you'd be in a gulag, so fuck them.

The Constitution is the Law of the Land, anyone who is not a srict Constitutionalist is a radical, actively
subverting the Law.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:31 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: Do you think Trump will make a smart play and replace him with another swing type guy? Kennedy's pretty good on the stuff that's most important to me, but I think choosing a more conservative type at this point would not be in the nation's best interest.

The Constitution is the Law of the Land, anyone who is not a srict Constitutionalist is a radical, actively
subverting the Law.

That's pretty much the entire democratic party and maybe a third of the GOP.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Some of y'all may not be looking long enough down the lane. The Republicans stand a good chance of retaining their majorities in the house and senate come 2018, and it's hardly unlikely they may even improve upon them. Should Kennedy say, screw you guys, I'm going home----,now, I'd think it best to give the Dems less to chew on--some woman, perhaps, who's been steady, but kinda quiet. They're going to go into full frenzy mode anyway, so let them piss and moan over a person whom the least rabid Dems at home might see as somewhat sympathetic. After twenty-eighteen--whatever the results--if Sotomayor goes into a diabetic coma or something, then stick some brimstone in their gobs and let them choke.
Just sayin'.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 pm

It doesn't matter what you do. They lost all power at the national level, and they lost the Supreme Court. They will resort to more organized violence before long. Bet that. They did it before and they very well are capable of doing it again.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:It doesn't matter what you do. They lost all power at the national level, and they lost the Supreme Court. They will resort to more organized violence before long. Bet that. They did it before and they very well are capable of doing it again.
Bring it!
:violence-guntoting: