The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:2020?
2050?
Bannerlord was announced in 2012, and still isn't out. Is it a scam too?

No idea.
Face it, dude. You're a flat earther at this point.

If you can't say with reasonable certainty that Bannerlord isn't a scam, and will actually release, you're a nutter.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Bannerlord was announced in 2012, and still isn't out. Is it a scam too?

No idea.

If you can't say with reasonable certainty that Bannerlord isn't a scam, and will actually release, you're a nutter.

I don't have any knowledge of the game. I looked at Wikipedia and saw it was being developed by some Turkish company. Probably. I don't trust those guys.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:

That's all it is. They promise everything to everybody.

Oh, you want cities to explores with bars and shit? That's in there! You want fucking massively multiplayer networking layer even though we initially said this would be an instanced game with no more than eight players? Fuck yeah, this is an MMORPG now!
Well, you're sort of on the right path. It went more like this,

We want to make a modern wing commander. Who's interested?

Money floods in.

Ok, we didn't think there was this much interest. What if we make this game, and another huge multiplayer universe to go with it?

Money floods in.

Ok, we're changing gears. Anyone who wants their money back can have it. We're expanding the project. It's still gonna have the modest single player game we talked about at first, but we're also gonna make the biggest space sim ever made.

Money floods in.

Based on what that guy almost did to Freelancer before Microsoft benched him, I'd say giving him 150 million dollars he doesn't even have to pay back was like throwing drugs at a hooker with a twenty year cocaine habit.

You could have given all your money to TC to finish his latest aeroponic time machine project and you'd have basically done the exact same thing.
I'm sure that's why Microsoft hired him at Microsoft Games after they bought the company he started. :lol:

Dude makes multiple top selling games, leaves to start his own company, Microsoft buys his company and hires him to produce their games, and Speaker thinks he's a hack.

That's rich.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:

No idea.

I don't have any knowledge of the game. I looked at Wikipedia and saw it was being developed by some Turkish company. Probably. I don't trust those guys.
Eagerly awaiting Bannerlord. Haven’t given them a dime.

Production delays are different when you don’t have a $150m unsecured budget.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Dude, I am a software engineer. I can recognize a terrible project leader when I see one and I can tell when a project is doomed because of project creep and poor leadership.

This game, as it was originally pitched, could have been out the door many years ago. It won't ever get completed because they will keep on with the insane project creep.

Just going from a multiplayer game where up to eight players connect in a non-persistent world to a persistent world where millions of players interact is such a huge change in the requirements doc, game design, and software architecture.. Is anybody rational left in this outfit trying to keep the project on track?

I am telling you flat out -- as a software engineer -- there is NO FUCKING WAY this project is going to get completed as promised. If they are now talking about going MMORPG, then they basically just started from scratch the day they decided that little nugget. That's more than just redesigning and coding the networking layer. That's huge.

The original WoW game cost about 63 million dollars to develop and bring to market. That game was TINY compared to what Star Citizen is billed at being. WoW was just a simple cartoon game with no meaningful physics or really anything complicated at all. I'd guess an enormous portion of that budget was spent just getting the servers, game state code, and networking all functioning properly. MMORPG is really difficult.

Then they keep adding shit. I can see from the Squadron FU addition, they learned from their scam artist compatriots over at Elite Dangerous how to really fuck over consumers by charging them for "early access" and the packaging all the new features after that into new "early access" modules you have to pay more money for.

Fuck these people right in the ass with a jackhammer. You are a victim here, man. They took your money and fucked you.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:

No idea.

You know it's the Mount and Blade sequel, right? It's a hugely successful franchise. Of course the sequel to a successful game isn't a scam just because it's taking a long time to make.

This is why I keep dogging you over Call of Duty. COD went the way of FO probably before FO did. They just keep recycling the same game with a face lift. It doesn't take much time, and the style never changes. Eventually people get bored and move on to stuff like Battlefield. Skyrim went a similar way. From Morrowind, to Oblivion, to Skyrim, ES got more and more dumbed down as the studio aimed more and more for the least common denominator.

That's what big studios want. Same thing with movies. They don't want anything new. They want to remake the same old shit that always sells well.

If you want to go in a new direction, they ain't interested. Bethesda never would have made KSP. KSP had to go early access on Steam for years to bring in the money to make the game.

Star Citizen was the same. No studio wanted to do anything as ambitious as even just the initial single player game. They wanted COD. Once Elite, NMS, and SC proved there was interest in space games, what happened? Activism shat out COD in space.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

You know it's the Mount and Blade sequel, right? It's a hugely successful franchise. Of course the sequel to a successful game isn't a scam just because it's taking a long time to make.

This is why I keep dogging you over Call of Duty. COD went the way of FO probably before FO did. They just keep recycling the same game with a face lift. It doesn't take much time, and the style never changes. Eventually people get bored and move on to stuff like Battlefield. Skyrim went a similar way. From Morrowind, to Oblivion, to Skyrim, ES got more and more dumbed down as the studio aimed more and more for the least common denominator.

That's what big studios want. Same thing with movies. They don't want anything new. They want to remake the same old shit that always sells well.

If you want to go in a new direction, they ain't interested. Bethesda never would have made KSP. KSP had to go early access on Steam for years to bring in the money to make the game.

Star Citizen was the same. No studio wanted to do anything as ambitious as even just the initial single player game. They wanted COD. Once Elite, NMS, and SC proved there was interest in space games, what happened? Activism shat out COD in space.

I have not bought a CoD game since Black Ops II. Don't give a shit about that game. I used it as an example like a year ago to show you that people can put out space sim games pretty fast if they want. That space CoD game had an entire space sim mode to it. That wasn't rehashing any old code at all. That was completely new features.

The problem with Star Citizen is not that it is too ambitious. The problem with Star Citizen is that the guy who is running the show has a history of not being able to complete projects because he keeps trying to expand the scope and asking for ever more money until the lawyers for the publisher have to step in and send him home.

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody is going to build something like Star Citizen sooner or later. Wait for the Star Citizen thing to blow up like No Man's Sky and then somebody will probably pull the trigger on such a project to capitalize upon the disappointment.

A project like that requires a really big publisher with the funds and ability to secure loans and investment capital, which means competency (and sorry, the Star Citizen management doesn't have that). They need people to keep the project on track and limit scope creep.

I don't see that happening with Star Citizen, man. They just keep promising more and more and more and asking for more and more money to do it. This shit looks really bad.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Dude, I am a software engineer. I can recognize a terrible project leader when I see one and I can tell when a project is doomed because of project creep and poor leadership.

This game, as it was originally pitched, could have been out the door many years ago. It won't ever get completed because they will keep on with the insane project creep.

Just going from a multiplayer game where up to eight players connect in a non-persistent world to a persistent world where millions of players interact is such a huge change in the requirements doc, game design, and software architecture.. Is anybody rational left in this outfit trying to keep the project on track?

I am telling you flat out -- as a software engineer -- there is NO FUCKING WAY this project is going to get completed as promised. If they are now talking about going MMORPG, then they basically just started from scratch the day they decided that little nugget. That's more than just redesigning and coding the networking layer. That's huge.

The original WoW game cost about 63 million dollars to develop and bring to market. That game was TINY compared to what Star Citizen is billed at being. WoW was just a simple cartoon game with no meaningful physics or really anything complicated at all. I'd guess an enormous portion of that budget was spent just getting the servers, game state code, and networking all functioning properly. MMORPG is really difficult.

Then they keep adding shit. I can see from the Squadron FU addition, they learned from their scam artist compatriots over at Elite Dangerous how to really fuck over consumers by charging them for "early access" and the packaging all the new features after that into new "early access" modules you have to pay more money for.

Fuck these people right in the ass with a jackhammer. You are a victim here, man. They took your money and fucked you.
Except there aren't any extra modules being sold. I just listed most of the modules that have been released, and I've played every one of them without paying anything more than the initial 35 bucks I got in with. That's been the story since day one. You get in with the lowest level pledge, and you get everything.

You aren't even reading this anyway. I've told you over and over that S42 isn't a sequel and wasn't added in later, but you're illiterate apparently. Now, after launch, YOU will pay full price for SC and S42 separately. I get them both, because I'm a backer. When you meekly sneak in to play the game you said would never come, you pay full price.

I know the networking hurdles are huge. You familiar with Lumberyard?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 pm

I don't really look forward to debating this with you for the next twenty years.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:

I have not bought a CoD game since Black Ops II. Don't give a shit about that game. I used it as an example like a year ago to show you that people can put out space sim games pretty fast if they want. That space CoD game had an entire space sim mode to it. That wasn't rehashing any old code at all. That was completely new features.

The problem with Star Citizen is not that it is too ambitious. The problem with Star Citizen is that the guy who is running the show has a history of not being able to complete projects because he keeps trying to expand the scope and asking for ever more money until the lawyers for the publisher have to step in and send him home.

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody is going to build something like Star Citizen sooner or later. Wait for the Star Citizen thing to blow up like No Man's Sky and then somebody will probably pull the trigger on such a project to capitalize upon the disappointment.

A project like that requires a really big publisher with the funds and ability to secure loans and investment capital, which means competency (and sorry, the Star Citizen management doesn't have that). They need people to keep the project on track and limit scope creep.

I don't see that happening with Star Citizen, man. They just keep promising more and more and more and asking for more and more money to do it. This shit looks really bad.
Sooner or later came as soon as SC broke the record for the largest crowd funded project for anything, ever.

All your chicken little, the sky is falling antics aside, development is steady. SC will launch.

If you haven't realized yet that you're wrong about this, then I can be certain that even when you're secretly playing it, you still won't admit it.