Social Justice Warriors Thread

DBTrek

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:43 pm

jediuser598 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm
The need to be part of something bigger than yourself. If not religion (where the guy up top is your personal friend, and takes a daily interest in everything you do), then political party. If you're a part of the party who made a change then you made that change to the world, right?
Just so.

If you can’t take the Holy Land for God, may as well take America for the correct party.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm
Dude, don't pretend like it is "dogma". It's a valid argument. If we didn't extend welfare to people with jobs, Walmart would be forced to raise wages. The numbers of working poor are growing because we are stupidly subsidizing the labor forces of bad actors like Walmart. They need to raise wages to where they would otherwise have to pay if nobody could receive assistance for working there. As far as I was aware, they already began this process, seeing the writing on the wall as it is.

Stop providing welfare or any kind of assistance to people with jobs. It's that simple.
I think it’s dogma because it relies on unrelated parables to win over believers. Think of it this way, the question of welfare recipients working at low paying jobs for Walmart/Amazon has nothing to do with the following:

Corporate tax rates
Wealth disparity between CEO and lowest wage earner
Slavery/share cropping/company script (currency)
Robber Barons
Corporate donations to political parties
Cost of raising a family

All of those above topics are separate and unrelated to whether or not Wal-Mart/Amazon are “exploiting” people on welfare. Yet sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, if you press someone to explain why corporations are evil for giving poor people jobs, you’ll get walked through the above topics.

All of those unrelated parables have nothing to do with the actual question. They’re just other stories in the book of leftist political dogma which support the pillar of faith which claims businesses and rich people are evil.

You believe Walmart and Amazon can’t possibly fill the non-skilled jobs up with high schoolers, college kids, and single adults without dependents, but I think they can. You think Walmart and Amazon would tremble at the thought of not being able to hire welfare-subsidized labor, but I think you have it backwards. All the people on welfare fired from their Walmart/Amazon jobs would be begging their legislators to reverse the law, not the corporations.

I agree that forbidding companies from hiring anyone on welfare would settle the issue though. Which is exactly why you’ll never see the politicians pushing the welfare-subsidized worker narrative calling for that to happen. They know the corporations don’t need welfare subsidized workers, and they know the jobs the working poor are doing are unsustainable at higher wages.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Bark Bark alert.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Is the argument that people on Welfare should stay on Welfare but if you actually want a job, get off Welfare?

p.s. So much for Workfare.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:25 pm

There’s a lot of jobs and a LOT of people who are just NOT worth the aggravation. I can’t tell you how many scumbags I’ve dealt with. There’s NO WAY anybody would voluntarily hire them at a “living wage,” and there’s a lot of trash lying on the ground that’s going to stay there because only The State is going to pay “living wages” for someone to pick it up.

p.s. I don’t think anyone posting into this thread has ever had employees.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:21 pm
Is the argument that people on Welfare should stay on Welfare but if you actually want a job, get off Welfare?

p.s. So much for Workfare.
The argument:

By having welfare for working adults, we artificially depress wages, since people are going to be willing to take jobs at pay they would not otherwise have taken had welfare not been available in some form. But if we do not extend welfare assistance to working adults, then nobody is going to take a job that cannot support them. Thus, employers would be forced to raise wages to what is the actual equilibrium and not the artificial lower equilibrium that results from our subsidizing cheap labor with welfare.

Now, how we choose to deal with the people who would not take jobs because they literally can't offer enough to be paid a living wage is another matter. If you want workfare, then do that. Just keep it as a jobs program of some kind. Build more Hoover Dams and so forth.

My contention is that we make it far worse by subsidizing cheap labor in this way than if we had just said fuck it let's deal with the people who cannot really contribute anything worth paying for.

And if we are going to be subsidizing workfare, then let's not make that a means for the private sector to get cheap labor instead of automate and innovate.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Dude, you’re proposing a situation to legislate permanent unemployment. In Basic Incomeland, only competent people work while all the lazy fucks surf and smoke dope.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:37 pm

The solution is high progressive taxation and companies can’t hold money.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:35 pm
Dude, you’re proposing a situation to legislate permanent unemployment. In Basic Incomeland, only competent people work while all the lazy fucks surf and smoke dope.
Not really. I don't have a problem with workfare. People who have literally nothing valuable to offer can do something. We can figure that shit out. What we should not do is make that part of the labor market. Once you start subsidizing labor, it grows. Companies are going to pay whatever they can legally get away with that people will accept. As long as you keep handing out WIC cards and whatever else to these people, you are basically just giving money to the Walmarts of America. Really, they are making out like bandits because the employees are subsidized by the tax payer via things like food stamps, and then the tax payers are likely buying the food that these stores sell.

Just end that shit and make the labor market a little more free. Put people to work in other ways that don't involve creating incentives to pay wages lower than they otherwise would be if you didn't fuck around with the market.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:53 pm

If the choice is between government run Make-Work jobs, and private employer shit jobs, I’m going with employers.