Public School Education System Thread

katarn

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by katarn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
katarn wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

But do they have women's studies and social justice programs??
They have women study, and you could make a crushing study of the sexual abuse that goes on. Does that count?

LOL

Most of the sexual abuse is against men.
The Pentagon estimated that 26,000 service members experienced unwanted sexual contact in 2012, up from 19,000 in 2010. Of those cases, the Pentagon says, most involved attacks on men, mostly by other men. Recent statistics show that in terms of number of assaults, “the majority of the victims are men.”[19] It also states that although rare, women have previously aided men in sexually assaulting other women.[19] According to statistics released by the Department of Defense, in fiscal 2012, more men were victims of sexual abuse than women.[20] Turchik and Wilson found that “one problem that may be unique for men is confusion concerning sexual identity, masculinity, and sexual orientation after an assault, especially if the perpetrator is a man,” and that “homosexual victims may…feel that the assault was a punishment for being gay, whereas heterosexual victims may feel confused about sexuality and masculinity, especially if their body sexually responded during the assault.”[21]

Studies of male sexual assault victims have shown that they become more prone to emotional, physical, and social difficulties after being assaulted, which is comparable to women.[21] This shows that “[r]egardless of the victim’s gender…the consequences of sexual assault are both far reaching and acute.”[21] However, “U.S. military rape law applies only to female victims and male perpetrators,” which “promote the rape myths that men cannot be raped, [and] that women cannot be perpetrators.”[21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_as ... gainst_men

The vast majority of sexual assault cases the military deals with is committed by homosexual men against other men.

Perhaps I implied the abuse was on women. If so, I didn't mean to- men are certainly assaulted as well. But here specifically are the Academies, not the military writ large. Are those stats the same isolating, say, USMA at West Point?
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:18 am

katarn wrote:Separate point: Anyone know how bad foreign language departments at many (most?) high schools are?
My public high school had 2 excellent Spanish teachers, so as far as I am concerned, my public high school had an excellent foreign language department.

I suspect the answer to your questions lies simply in the quality of a handful of individuals at each high school, nothing systemic nor structural. Back then, we had no foreign language standardized testing, so YMMV

Calculus Man

Post by Calculus Man » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:06 pm

My spanish teacher in high school was great, but she had to cater to the lowest common denominator, i.e. a bunch of hoodrats who thought learning was lame.

I'd finish my work in the first third of class, then she would let me leave to go to the other lunch period to hang out with my friends.

I didn't learn much Spanish, but it was an environmental thing and NOT a lack for a good teacher.

Half the kids in that class couldn't even write English...how the hell you supposed to teach those kids Spanish?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Calculus Man wrote:My spanish teacher in high school was great, but she had to cater to the lowest common denominator, i.e. a bunch of hoodrats who thought learning was lame.

I'd finish my work in the first third of class, then she would let me leave to go to the other lunch period to hang out with my friends.

I didn't learn much Spanish, but it was an environmental thing and NOT a lack for a good teacher.

Half the kids in that class couldn't even write English...how the hell you supposed to teach those kids Spanish?
No hice nada
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 pm

GOOD NEWS, NEARLY HALF OF AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS GRADUATING 'A' AVERAGE !
WOW THESE KIDS ARE SMART !

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttt....................... There's some bad news too.
average SAT score fell from 1,026 to 1,002

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 485787001/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 pm

The Hispanic Outlook on Education magazine listed El Paso Community College first among the top 25 community colleges in the nation for Hispanics in their February issue.

EPCC was ranked number one in the nation among two-year institutions for granting associate degrees to Hispanic students by the magazine.
http://www.tejanotribune.com/single-pos ... ed-degrees

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:43 pm

A Hispanic magazine listed a Hispanic school run by Hispanics in a Hispanic town as first

Ok

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:A Hispanic magazine listed a Hispanic school run by Hispanics in a Hispanic town as first

Ok
Yeah. We picked up on that.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Well needless to say, I'm super stoked our new first and second generation American replacements figured out how to get a degree when it took some stupid white people forever.