The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Maybe he would also be interested to know that Chris Roberts, the guy behind Star Citizen, was fired from the Freelancer game project for gross mismanagement..

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:17 pm

In 1997, Chris Roberts began work on a vision he had since he first conceived Wing Commander. He wanted to realize a virtual galaxy, whose systems execute their own programs regardless of the players' presence; cities would be bustling with transports and each world's weather changes on its own time. Commodity prices in each star system would fluctuate, according to the activities of the computer controlled traders, who import and export goods. Roberts envisioned thousands of players simultaneously interacting with and influencing this world through a unique and intuitive user interface never seen before in other games. Each player could pursue a quest set up for their character, and join other players to attempt other missions together without needing to exit the game and start a new mode of play. Artificial intelligence would fly the players' spacecraft, letting them concentrate on combat or other tasks. Roberts intended the cutscenes and gameplay visuals to be of equal quality so players would be unable to distinguish between the two.[34][35]

Two years later, the project was officially announced as Freelancer at GameStock, an annual showcase to the mass media of Microsoft's games.[36] The media covered the event, focusing on the features promised for this game. There were concerns about the state of the graphics and uncertainties over the promise of a dynamic economy, but gaming site GameSpot gave Roberts and his company, Digital Anvil, the benefit of their doubts.[37] Initially in 1999, Roberts announced the game would be available on the market by fall 2000.[34] However, the project suffered delays and by Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2000, Roberts said the earliest release for the game was at the end of 2001.[5]

In June 2000, Microsoft started talks to buy Digital Anvil. Roberts admitted that his team required large sums of money, which only a huge company could provide, to continue developing Freelancer with its "wildly ambitious" features and unpredictable schedule; the project had overshot its original development projection of three years by 18 months. Roberts trusted that Microsoft would not compromise his vision for Freelancer, and was convinced the software giant would not attempt the takeover if it did not believe Freelancer could sell at least 500,000 copies when released.[38] Roberts left the company on completion of the deal, but assumed a creative consultant role on Freelancer until its release.[39] Microsoft instructed Digital Anvil to scale down the ambitions of the project and focus on finishing the game based on what was possible and the team's strengths.[13][19] Features such as the automated flight control, conversations that had different choices of responses, and sub-quests were abandoned.[12] Despite the reductions, several reviewers believed the resultant product was still true to Robert's vision.[5][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

Sound familiar? This guy can't manage a large software project, dude. I am a software engineer. I can recognize a fuck up when I see one. He pitches a great story, but he can't contain project creep. He just burns through cash like discount hookers.

You cannot run a software project like this guy does. This is why he had to bilk consumers for donation funds to try to develop this fucking game. Nobody in the industry is going to waste capital on this.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Also, am I reading these reports correctly that he decided to now make the game a massively multiplayer title? Do you have any idea how much architectural changes have to be implemented to convert an instance game like this to an MMORPG? Just building the network layer to a game like WoW is almost rocket science-level hard as fuck.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Maybe he would also be interested to know that Chris Roberts, the guy behind Star Citizen, was fired from the Freelancer game project for gross mismanagement..
You will believe anything.

Roberts left Origins to start his own studio, Digital Anvil. Then Microsoft bought Digital Anvil and hired Roberts as a development consultant.

Hate to say it, but you're the new Penner. Derek Smart is your CNN, and Chris Roberts is your Russia.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
In 1997, Chris Roberts began work on a vision he had since he first conceived Wing Commander. He wanted to realize a virtual galaxy, whose systems execute their own programs regardless of the players' presence; cities would be bustling with transports and each world's weather changes on its own time. Commodity prices in each star system would fluctuate, according to the activities of the computer controlled traders, who import and export goods. Roberts envisioned thousands of players simultaneously interacting with and influencing this world through a unique and intuitive user interface never seen before in other games. Each player could pursue a quest set up for their character, and join other players to attempt other missions together without needing to exit the game and start a new mode of play. Artificial intelligence would fly the players' spacecraft, letting them concentrate on combat or other tasks. Roberts intended the cutscenes and gameplay visuals to be of equal quality so players would be unable to distinguish between the two.[34][35]

Two years later, the project was officially announced as Freelancer at GameStock, an annual showcase to the mass media of Microsoft's games.[36] The media covered the event, focusing on the features promised for this game. There were concerns about the state of the graphics and uncertainties over the promise of a dynamic economy, but gaming site GameSpot gave Roberts and his company, Digital Anvil, the benefit of their doubts.[37] Initially in 1999, Roberts announced the game would be available on the market by fall 2000.[34] However, the project suffered delays and by Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2000, Roberts said the earliest release for the game was at the end of 2001.[5]

In June 2000, Microsoft started talks to buy Digital Anvil. Roberts admitted that his team required large sums of money, which only a huge company could provide, to continue developing Freelancer with its "wildly ambitious" features and unpredictable schedule; the project had overshot its original development projection of three years by 18 months. Roberts trusted that Microsoft would not compromise his vision for Freelancer, and was convinced the software giant would not attempt the takeover if it did not believe Freelancer could sell at least 500,000 copies when released.[38] Roberts left the company on completion of the deal, but assumed a creative consultant role on Freelancer until its release.[39] Microsoft instructed Digital Anvil to scale down the ambitions of the project and focus on finishing the game based on what was possible and the team's strengths.[13][19] Features such as the automated flight control, conversations that had different choices of responses, and sub-quests were abandoned.[12] Despite the reductions, several reviewers believed the resultant product was still true to Robert's vision.[5][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

Sound familiar? This guy can't manage a large software project, dude. I am a software engineer. I can recognize a fuck up when I see one. He pitches a great story, but he can't contain project creep. He just burns through cash like discount hookers.

You cannot run a software project like this guy does. This is why he had to bilk consumers for donation funds to try to develop this fucking game. Nobody in the industry is going to waste capital on this.
yawn, you've got a lot of catching up to do.

get back to me when you've read up on the difficulty in getting studios to develop new material rather than recycling another COD shooter, or as you call them, space sims.

and just so we're clear, you've had egg all over your face from day one on this, what with all your hysterical ranting about a game that will never be, that has actually been played by millions. then you go and make it worse after you've already been shown that you were wrong, by invoking courts and jail time, like a fucking crazy person.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Hold up, though. Did we ever come to any definitive date after which you are willing to admit this is a fucking scam?

After what date will you admit Shattered Dreams I mean Star Citizen is not going to be released as promised, ever?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Hold up, though. Did we ever come to any definitive date after which you are willing to admit this is a fucking scam?

After what date will you admit Shattered Dreams I mean Star Citizen is not going to be released as promised, ever?
I can't tell you when I would be convinced of a potential negative in a not yet existent future, but I can tell you that as long as development continues as it has, you sound like a mad man crying out about the sun being an illusion to someone who's out getting a tan.

I don't how many times I have to tell you. This isn't a matter of us disagreeing over whether or not there is going to ever be anything. That's what you think because you're an outsider with no idea what you're talking about. I, on the other hand, have been a part of this development from very early on, and I know first hand that immense progress has been made, because I've been there playing the game at every step.

August 2013 - Hangar module is the first playable component of the game,

June 2014 - Arena Commander module introduces flyable ships in dogfighting, racing, and free flight environments.

December 2015 - Crusader module introduces a playable space that is one million x one million x four hundred kilometers in volume. 400 quadrillion cubic kilometers. Includes hostile and friendly AI, pirates, aliens, combat missions, search and rescue missions, weapon stores, clothing and armor stores, separate spawn points for lawful and unlawful players,

December 2016 - Star Marine module introduces match based FPS combat with free for all and team based gameplay,

3.0 is with Evocati testers right now. Evocati are community testers outside of CIG who test the latest build under an NDA before it goes to the public in the test universe, and then to the public on the live servers.

So, as long as this constant development continues, there's no reason to join you in your silly chicken little dance about how this is all just cinematics.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Nice demos bro.

Have we settled on a date yet where you finally admit to yourself you got boned?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 pm

:lol: No Mans Sky 2.0

players will now be able to pick things up.
Procedurally generated (instanced) moons.
Hoping for a planet with a landing zone!

I’m glad you didn’t pump $10,000 into this, like a complete idiot, but it’s a mirage, dude.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0