Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:56 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:46 am
StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:33 am
It gets better as it goes, every season better than the previous season

Y'all are weird
I disagree. The first 2 seasons were better than the 3rd.
It's just more of the same but on a larger scale.
I think the difference with the Wire was that each season covered a different aspect of Baltimore's crime and corruption.
The street, the port, politics, the media etc.
BB is too predictable. You know what is going to happen next because it has happened before.
Walt is getting a buzz out of being involved in the drug trade and has a really nasty side to him but his loyalty to his family and Jesse partially redeem him despite how terribly he treats them.
Jesse is an even shallower character, he's more of a nice person but is ultimately self-destructive.
That is the story, just repeat ad nauseam.
You might like Fauda

It's Israeli Shin Bet covert paramilitary

Gritty and realistic, but not too much, just enough 007 to make it fun
Never heard of that. It doesn't look like I'm going to be going back to work any time soon so I'll check it out.
As for 007, I don't really enjoy it that much anymore. Too fantastic, I prefer the gritty realism of Jason Bourne in the first couple of films although that got over the top and unrealistic in the latter ones too.
That's what made BoB so good. It seemed so real to me. Obviously I've never served in a war so I can't vouch for its authenticity like a genuine WWII vet could but it avoided the pitfalls of never-ending ammunition and wandering around upright with no helmet on under fire etc like some portrayals.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:11 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:09 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

I think the difference with the Wire was that each season covered a different aspect of Baltimore's crime and corruption.
BB is too predictable. You know what is going to happen next because it has happened before.
Walt is getting a buzz out of being involved in the drug trade and has a really nasty side to him but his loyalty to his family and Jesse partially redeem him despite how terribly he treats them.
Jesse is an even shallower character, he's more of a nice person but is ultimately self-destructive.
You might like Fauda

Never heard of that. It doesn't look like I'm going to be going back to work any time soon so I'll check it out.
As for 007, I don't really enjoy it that much anymore. Too fantastic, I prefer the gritty realism of Jason Bourne in the first couple of films although that got over the top and unrealistic in the latter ones too.
That's what made BoB so good. It seemed so real to me. Obviously I've never served in a war so I can't vouch for its authenticity like a genuine WWII vet could but it avoided the pitfalls of never-ending ammunition and wandering around upright with no helmet on under fire etc like some portrayals.
Atomic Blond is the new James Bond, but by 007 I just mean it's action packed,

it's realistic, but not a docu-drama, they sex it up more than real life, more action, more romance
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:13 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:05 am
StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:02 am

I don't pretend no one can scrutinize my taste in art just because it's subjective, like Monte for instance
I like some of your music too, I'm just not a rapper meself

I'm not a music snob, I go song by song, not type

I was just born into a world of rotary dial phones, no internet and only three channels on the tv

So I'm a rock n' rollah by nature, tv is way down the list
I like my music too, but I don't front like my taste in music is fantastic, because I know it isn't, even though I do like plenty of good shit that people with fantastic taste in music also happen to like. I'm not a music snob either, there are songs in every genre that I like, even if I like some genres more than others, I don't let that prevent me from enjoying a good song in a genre that is one my least favorite genres

But my taste in dramatic television is next level, especially compared to the average person, I'm weaker on TV comedies, and movies, but my tastes in that department are still pretty good. My taste in music certainly doesn't suck, but it's not as good as your taste in music or my dad's taste in music, even if I like my tastes more personally

I've never been the guy who is great at turning people onto artists or songs that they haven't heard before, I've always been the dude stealing off those with better taste in music than me
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:01 am
StCapps wrote:
Some opinions are more informed than others, some people have better tastes than others
/shrugs

Subjectivity can only go so far before the subjective view of the person is a sign of poor taste
My tastes are not defined by the tv shows I watch

My music defines my tastes, which are eclectic
And your taste in music is far better than your taste in television, while for me it's the other way around

I don't pretend no one can scrutinize my taste in art just because it's subjective, like Monte does for instance
I've never said that you don't have a right to your opinion. You don't seem to realise that it is only an opinion though.
When you use terms like right or wrong and best ever to describe something which is subjective it just shows you have an overinflated view of the value of your own opinion.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:13 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:05 am
StCapps wrote:

I don't pretend no one can scrutinize my taste in art just because it's subjective, like Monte for instance
I like some of your music too, I'm just not a rapper meself

I'm not a music snob, I go song by song, not type

I was just born into a world of rotary dial phones, no internet and only three channels on the tv

So I'm a rock n' rollah by nature, tv is way down the list
I like my music too, but I don't front like my taste in music is fantastic, because I know it isn't, even though I do like plenty of good shit that people with fantastic taste in music also happen to like. I'm not a music snob either, there are songs in every genre that I like, even if I like some genres more than others, I don't let that prevent me from enjoying a good song in a genre that is one my least favorite genres

But my taste in dramatic television is next level, especially compared to the average person, I'm weaker on TV comedies, and movies, but my tastes in that department are still pretty good. My taste in music certainly doesn't suck, but it's not as good as your taste in music or my dad's taste in music, even if I like my tastes more personally

I've never been the guy who is great at turning people onto artists or songs that they haven't heard before, I've always been the dude stealing off those with better taste in music than me
I like dramatic music, could be NWA, could be Pavarotti, I have no genre restrictions, I go song by song

tv is more like zoning out, music gets me jacked up

When I was growing up we all watched the same shows at the same time, MASH, Cheers, what have you

that wasn't optimal tho, optimal was listening to records in your girlfriends bedroom + puppy love
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:11 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:09 am
Smitty-48 wrote:

You might like Fauda

Atomic Blond is the new James Bond, but by 007 I just mean it's action packed,

it's realistic, but not a docu-drama, they sex it up more than real life, more action, more romance
I did enjoy Atomic Blond, more for the nostalgia and the music than for the storyline though. The ending left me a little confused too.
Oh, and hot totty. Lots of hot totty action.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:18 am

Montegriffo wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:33 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:31 am

Agreed,

It's fine for a few episodes, but Breaking Bad gets old fast

I like BCS better than BB, but still I haven't rushed to watch the latest episode, bumped by Gran Turismo
It gets better as it goes, every season better than the previous season

Y'all are weird
Season 3 had more top quality episodes, had bigger high points, the greatest antagonist in TV history, and the better ending to the season

Walt is the cancer, it's all about him, doing it for the family is just an excuse he uses to make himself feel like a better person than he really is

Jesse is not a shallow character at all, very few characters on Breaking Bad are shallow, except for characters who don't get much screen time, and even then, they are good at what they are there to do for the story and the dimensions they do have to their character make them fun characters
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:18 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 am

I did enjoy Atomic Blond, more for the nostalgia and the music than for the storyline though. The ending left me a little confused too.
Michael Mann style

Just a beautiful 80's music rock video, who cares about the plot ?

Sonny Crockett knows

Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:23 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 am
I've never said that you don't have a right to your opinion. You don't seem to realize that it is only an opinion though.
How is saying some opinions are better than others a denial that my opinion is just an opinion? It isn't, you just don't want people scrutinizing your subjective tastes, so you cower behind subjectivity to avoid scrutiny

My view of my opinion as being more informed on tv than many others is not unrealistic, it's totally accurate, whether you agree with my assessment of the strength of my opinion or not
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:25 am

The thing that puts a movie over my event horizon into the Singularity is art direction

The Singularity is movies I can watch over and over till the end of days

2001 : A Space Odyssey, Lawrence of Arabia, Redux, Last of the Mohicans, Godfather II, etcetera
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent