Europe, Boring Until it's Not

JohnDonne

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by JohnDonne » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Your argument has questionable implications and you are throwing it on me like I’m the one arguing for it, while refusing to address them yourself.

All that goes away if you use the sentience standard.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 pm

JohnDonne wrote:Your argument has questionable implications and you are throwing it on me like I’m the one arguing for it, while refusing to address them yourself.

You are arguing that humans shouldn't be treated differently than animals because there aren't important moral distinctions between them, as far as I understand it.

If this is derived from your sentience standard, than the sentience standard creates the questionable implications, it doesn't solve them.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:Your argument has questionable implications and you are throwing it on me like I’m the one arguing for it, while refusing to address them yourself.

You are arguing that humans shouldn't be treated differently than animals because there aren't important moral distinctions between them, as far as I understand it.

If this is derived from your sentience standard, than the sentience standard creates the questionable implications, it doesn't solve them.
Just because they appear to have equal ethical value doesn’t mean treating them the same as humans.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm

JohnDonne wrote:

Just because they appear to have equal ethical value doesn’t mean treating them the same as humans.
Oh, then I agree with you. One of the ways we treat them differently is that we eat them.

Problem solved.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Then you open the door to eating sentient humans on similar grounds. I wouldn’t do that, it’s not ethical.

Not only that, you never even named the grounds.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 pm

JohnDonne wrote:Then you open the door to eating sentient humans on similar grounds. I wouldn’t do that, it’s not ethical.
There you go again, stating that the equivalent ethical value allows for equivalent treatment. I think that animals have considerably less ethical value than humans, so I don't run the risk of stumbling into cannibalism. Your insistence on the moral equivalence of sentience is the only argument that seems to lead down that path, since none of the non-vegans here seem to think eating humans is an option.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:01 pm

I suspect J D for looking for an excuse to treat some people like rats.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:04 pm

If only we embraced Mother Gaia like our cousins.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:If only we embraced Mother Gaia like our cousins.

Did you see that Jordan Peterson clip about chimps I put up in the Hoppe / alt right thread?

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:11 pm

JohnDonne wrote:Then you open the door to eating sentient humans on similar grounds. I wouldn’t do that, it’s not ethical.
There you go again, stating that the equivalent ethical value allows for equivalent treatment. I think that animals have considerably less ethical value than humans, so I don't run the risk of stumbling into cannibalism. Your insistence on the moral equivalence of sentience is the only argument that seems to lead down that path, since none of the non-vegans here seem to think eating humans is an option.
I would argue for different standards of treatment, it’s just I would argue on grounds that I can justify without resorting to a double standard.

For example, animals like to be left alone in nature, so I would argue it’s ethical to leave them alone in nature.

Of course you seem to find trouble with the whole idea of giving reasons for things.