Another School Shooting

Okeefenokee

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 am

DrYouth wrote:
Otern wrote:It looks so easy from over here, just impose stricter regulations. But keep in mind, this is what the Saudis think of the drinking culture in Norway and Britain too. We have regulations. Less than the Saudis. And we're never, EVER going to listen to Saudis telling us how our alcohol laws should be.
This is a solid point.

Mind you it's hard to kill dozens of people in a few minutes with a whisky.
Every day, 28 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This is one death every 51 minutes.
In 2015, 10,265 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (29%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1
Of the 1, 1,132 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2015, 209 (16%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.1
In 2015, nearly 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.4
Drugs other than alcohol (legal and illegal) are involved in about 16% of motor vehicle crashes.5
Marijuana use is increasing6 and 13% of nighttime, weekend drivers have marijuana in their system.7
Marijuana users were about 25% more likely to be involved in a crash than drivers with no evidence of marijuana use, however other factors – such as age and gender – may account for the increased crash risk among marijuana users.
https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/ ... sheet.html
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:02 am

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:04 am

The constitutions says nothing about the right to access to rapid fire automatic weapons.
There were no rapid fire automatic weapons at the time of the writing of the constitution.
There is also no right of access to tanks, nerve gas or nuclear weapons.

So constraining rapid fire weapons is completely a legitimate idea.

So spare me.

We can also talk about constraining alcohol.
Drinking and driving is also not a right.
You could call tyranny on road checks if you really want to.
Those are government regulations.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am

The whole thing is one big Operation Gaslight.

They are absolutely pissing on your leg and telling you that it's raining.

Security Works at Disney — But Can't Work at a Public School?
But, the overall strategy here is startling. Gun control advocates are in a way holding school children hostage to their message by shooting down calls for better school security. Their essential position is "no security for children until we get the gun control legislation we want!"

. . .

For places like amusement parks, concert venues, city halls, county courthouses, state legislatures — and of course — the US capitol, security measures have already been implemented. Is there evidence that everyone working in these building regards them as "prisons"? After all, the private owners — people who are potentially liable for violence on their premises — want security, and you hear few of them resort to a knee-jerk declaration of "it won't work!" when their lawyers and stockholders advise them to implement security solutions.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am

Fife wrote:The whole thing is one big Operation Gaslight.

But, the overall strategy here is startling. Gun control advocates are in a way holding school children hostage to their message by shooting down calls for better school security. Their essential position is "no security for children until we get the gun control legislation we want!"

. . .

For places like amusement parks, concert venues, city halls, county courthouses, state legislatures — and of course — the US capitol, security measures have already been implemented. Is there evidence that everyone working in these building regards them as "prisons"? After all, the private owners — people who are potentially liable for violence on their premises — want security, and you hear few of them resort to a knee-jerk declaration of "it won't work!" when their lawyers and stockholders advise them to implement security solutions.
What is your point here...

More security at schools?

What is the security situation at public schools?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 am

DrYouth wrote:
Fife wrote:The whole thing is one big Operation Gaslight.

. . .

What is your point here...

More security at schools?

What is the security situation at public schools?
Sounds like treating the symptoms while ignoring the root cause of the disease.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am

Well to be honest restricting access is treating the symptom as well.

Dealing with root causes would be addressing the social factors and case by case individual factors... good luck with that.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 am

Montegriffo wrote:Sounds like treating the symptoms while ignoring the root cause of the disease.
I'm all for cutting out the root cause of the disease.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 am

Fife wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Sounds like treating the symptoms while ignoring the root cause of the disease.
I'm all for cutting out the root cause of the disease.
Reaching concensus on the root cause is the tricky bit.
Muh freedoms and rights is not a convincing argument for 2/3rds of those recently polled.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:40 am

It is just me or have mass shootings seemingly risen in accordance with the increasing accessibility of global communication, the 24 hour news cycle and the internet?

I have no facts or information to back up my assertion beyond my own observations, perhaps it's just my own increasing access to 24 hour information that has influenced me into thinking this way