What show are you watching right now?

StCapps

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Kath wrote:It's been awhile, Capps. I'd forgotten how much you value your own opinion about what other people should think .
If you want to cling to shitty criticisms of the show, that's your problem, not mine. I don't need to reach to criticize the show, maybe you do. I pick my battles with GoT a hell of a lot better than most folks in this thread, that's for damn sure.

It's not the best show on TV and never has been, if you don't like it, there is plenty better television shows to watch, no need to hold the show to unrealistic standard the way many of the folks in this thread do.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:20 pm

StCapps wrote:
Kath wrote:It's been awhile, Capps. I'd forgotten how much you value your own opinion about what other people should think .
If you want to cling to shitty criticisms of the show, that's your problem, not mine. I don't need to reach to criticize the show, maybe you do.
It was a throwaway comment about the time travel capabilities of the characters, including ravens. I stand by that. Even the directors admitted they played fast and loose with the timing in that episode.

The plot itself had a lot of holes and, the season by and large left me unsatisfied. It was very pretty, though.
Account abandoned.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Kath wrote:The plot itself had a lot of holes and, the season by and large left me unsatisfied. It was very pretty, though.
The CGI was cool, but compared to last season the show clearly wasn't as good, they went overboard on characters acting dumb to move the plot along. Hopefully they are saving all the good shit for the last season and GoT just fell for the same trap that The Americans did in it's penultimate season, saving too much for the last season and it hurting the quality of the second last season as a result. I trust The Americans to stick the landing in it's final season a lot more than GoT though, because it's a better show, but the use of Stan this season was fucking criminal, he's more than comic relief ffs.

The above quote, that's a better criticism of the show, and without reaching. See GCF it is possible to do so, you should try it sometime, enough with the terrible suggestions that will just make the show worse.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 pm

StCapps wrote:
Kath wrote:The plot itself had a lot of holes and, the season by and large left me unsatisfied. It was very pretty, though.
The CGI was cool, but compared to last season the show clearly wasn't as good, they went overboard on characters acting dumb to move the plot along. Hopefully they are saving all the good shit for the last season and GoT just fell for the same trap that The Americans did in it's penultimate season, saving too much for the last season and it hurting the quality of the second last season as a result. I trust The Americans to stick the landing in it's final season a lot more than GoT though, because it's a better show, but the use of Stan this season was fucking criminal, he's more than comic relief ffs.

The above quote, that's a better criticism of the show, and without reaching. See GCF it is possible to do so, you should try it sometime, enough with the terrible suggestions that will just make the show worse.
I believe my very first statement on the subject was similar. Once we get into details, it seems the subject gets difficult for you to accept.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I believe my very first statement on the subject was similar. Once we get into details, it seems the subject gets difficult for you to accept.
Once you get into details, you go off the rails and have retarded suggestions that would make the show worse, that might have something to do with the pattern you are seeing. If your suggestions didn't suck so much, I wouldn't rip on them as I do, but it's like you are going out of your way to try and make the show worse with your every suggestion, so you get what you deserve.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:56 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I believe my very first statement on the subject was similar. Once we get into details, it seems the subject gets difficult for you to accept.
Once you get into details, you go off the rails and have retarded suggestions that would make the show so much worse, that might have something to do with the pattern you are seeing. If your suggestions didn't suck so much, I wouldn't rip on them as I do.
Go back to seasons 1-3. Watch how it was timed. Hell, all the way up to season 5 even.

Everything was consistent, the plot was intricate, and detailed, even if they did fly through a LOT of material too quickly.

Now, there’s 2 storylines left, that just seem to happen in a series of Big Events, with nothing in between.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:59 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Go back to seasons 1-3. Watch how it was timed. Hell, all the way up to season 5 even.

Everything was consistent, the plot was intricate, and detailed, even if they did fly through a LOT of material too quickly.

Now, there’s 2 storylines left, that just seem to happen in a series of Big Events, with nothing in between.
There are six episodes left, if there was a bunch of unresolved storylines at this point, they wouldn't be able to wrap up the show in a way that would satisfy anyone. Try and make suggestions that won't make the show worse, I know it's hard for you to even come up with one such suggestion, but you could at least try a little harder.

The reason they had time to tell the other stories as intricately as they did is because they were delaying Danny's arrival on Westeros and the white walkers finally invading, which was bad writing via silly obvious delaying tactics, they both had to show up at some point, and once they did, no one cares about the side storylines anymore. That's the way this was always going to go, so why act disappointed when they delivered on the inevitable? You should have seen this coming. Quite frankly I'm glad they took Dany's storyline and the White Walkers storyline off the backburner, that's a breath of fresh air.

At this point I'm willing to hear the Night King out, maybe he's got a damn good reason for doing what he's doing, the writers better give him proper motivation, a personality, and some good dialogue next season, got to spice up that ice zambie invasion somehow, and that's the way to do it, no more silent treatment. Ice Javelins and an Ice Dragon simply aren't enough, make him a real character, not just the mute leader of the undead.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:17 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Go back to seasons 1-3. Watch how it was timed. Hell, all the way up to season 5 even.

There are six episodes left, if there was a bunch of unresolved storylines at this point, they wouldn't be able to wrap up the show in a way that would satisfy anyone. Try and make suggestions that won't make the show worse, I know it's hard for you to even come up with one such suggestion, but you could at least try a little harder.

The reason they had time to tell the other stories as intricately as they did is because they were delaying Danny's arrival on Westeros and the white walkers finally invading, which was bad writing via silly obvious delaying tactics, they both had to show up at some point, and once they did, no one cares about the side storylines anymore. That's the way this was always going to go, so why act disappointed when they delivered on the inevitable? You should have seen this coming. Quite frankly I'm glad they took Dany's storyline and the White Walkers storyline off the backburner, that's a breath of fresh air.

At this point I'm willing to hear the Night King out, maybe he's got a damn good reason for doing what he's doing, the writers better give him proper motivation, a personality, and some good dialogue next season, got to spice up that ice zambie invasion somehow, and that's the way to do it, no more silent treatment. Ice Javelins and an Ice Dragon simply aren't enough, make him a real character, not just a silent leader of the undead.
:lol: If you're expecting that, you are going to be on my side as soon as it comes out.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:19 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote::lol: If you're expecting that, you are going to be on my side as soon as it comes out.
I'll never be on the side of making the show worse. If they don't give the Night King a personality, and he stays silent for the entire duration of the show, that's just bad writing. Benioff and Weiss could totally fuck the landing up, and if they do, I'll bash them for it, but making the show 15+ seasons and doubling the travel time shown on camera doesn't solve any problems the show has, in fact, it just exacerbates some of the biggest problems the show has, so epic fail.

Making the show a lot more like the novel, in general, a terrible idea, they aren't writing a novel for people to read, they are making a television show for people to watch, and it takes two different kind of stories to maximize the potential of each medium of storytelling, even with the same source material, so pretending otherwise makes no sense.

Television shows should work as a television show, and novels should work as a novel. You cannot simply take a television show and turn into a novel completely unaltered, without sacrificing quality, and vice versa. If you don't know that intuitively, that's pretty sad.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:31 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote::lol: If you're expecting that, you are going to be on my side as soon as it comes out.
I'll never be on the side of making the show worse. If they don't give the Night King a personality, and he stays silent for the entire duration of the show, that's just bad writing. Benioff and Weiss could totally fuck the landing up, and if they do, I'll bash them for it, but making the show 15+ seasons and doubling the travel time shown on camera doesn't solve any problems the show has, in fact, it just exacerbates some of the biggest problems the show has, so epic fail.

Making the show a lot more like the novel, in general, a terrible idea, they aren't writing a novel for people to read, they are making a television show for people to watch, and it takes two different kind of stories to maximize the potential of each medium of storytelling, even with the same source material, so pretending otherwise makes no sense.

Television shows should work as a television show, and novels should works as a novel, you cannot simply take a television show and turn into a novel completely unaltered, without sacrificing quality, and vice versa.
So, the entire thing that made this the biggest show on television - closely following the novels - was bad television. Thank you for your insight.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace