Public School Education System Thread

robepriority

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by robepriority » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:29 pm

Assuming that a majority of people work with cash shared in a household, don't wages have to be cut more than half to have an effect?

I thought that since wages dropped, more households had to have 2 workers to have middle class income.

Kinda a chicken and egg thing though.
Holding it in as best I can, until I can run to the white throne.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 pm

robepriority wrote:Assuming that a majority of people work with cash shared in a household, don't wages have to be cut more than half to have an effect?

I thought that since wages dropped, more households had to have 2 workers to have middle class income.

You're wrong.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

robepriority

Post by robepriority » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 pm

So are wages cut more than 50 percent or is there more single workers than ones in households?

Or something else?
Holding it in as best I can, until I can run to the white throne.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:52 pm

robepriority wrote:So are wages cut more than 50 percent or is there more single workers than ones in households?

Or something else?
The working population doubled within a generation. Of course wages dropped.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Charter Schools would fix this.

p.s. I've written about this a lot. The "charter" part doesn't have to be brick-n-mortar + teachers.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:22 pm

robepriority wrote:Assuming that a majority of people work with cash shared in a household, don't wages have to be cut more than half to have an effect?

Women entering the workforce lowered real incomes for all, and the result of that was the situation where now women in many cases must work in order for a household to maintain the same middle class quality of life they once enjoyed on only one income, even if they want to remain home as mothers. Children suffer most of all because of itl. Women are far, far less happy today than they were before all this began. That's the tragedy of the whole thing.

This is one of those situations where people myopically looked at an issue as if it were a valence issue without considering the longterm ramifications of it. But you can bet the elites knew exactly what they were doing.
For the same reason, Bezos and Musk and others are out there vowing to hire immigrants and foreigners as if they are being virtuous, when all they really give a shit about is keeping labor costs low.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:59 pm

how much can i get in bennies?

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:03 am

C-Mag wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
California wrote:The entrance of woman into the workforce, causing a glut of labor, and therefore causing wages to drop is so blatantly obvious I figured that out when I was a 19 year old undergrad.
^^^ this

C-Mag, see Russ Robert's "EconTalk" podcasts on labor & wages over the past 11 years. He goes over it several times.

Thanks for the reference guys. 8-)

Doc listed a number of factors and it was that combination that I was specifically asking about.

1. women entering the work force in increasing greater numbers
2. loss of middle class jobs
3. Global Free Trade initiatives
4. uncontrolled immigration

Maybe it's my ignorance, but I've heard people talk about these individually, but not as a cumulative affect. That's where I was coming from in my poorly worded previous post.

One can argue over the details, but yes it is a cumulative effect.

I'd like to add that the same phenomenon as the CEO making hundreds of times more tha the average worker to as to 30-40 times in the 60s is also happening in education. I read about how expensive education is and how/did/will it's cut. College students have to pay more every year. In California higher ed more teachers are adjuncts (fancy word for temps) and seems to be the case nationally. In K-12 funding in many places for the students and their teachers seems inadequate. Also plenty of people complain of the evil greedy unions.

It's strange though, in every case, at all levels, unions included, throughout the country the upper management does very well. Tuition might be raised, or classes cut, or teachers might be denied tenure, or even a costs of living increase, but just everywhere I looked, management from VP on up, are the last cut and the first to get funding increases.

Also there is another economic change. For about 30-40 years until 1970ish, when ever productivity increased, the increase in income was spread evenly. Everyone got the same increase in their pay. From 1970 all the increase in income went to the top. Which is one of the reasons CEOs make hundreds of times, instead of tens of times more than their employees.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:11 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:

Women entering the workforce lowered real incomes for all, and the result of that was the situation where now women in many cases must work in order for a household to maintain the same middle class quality of life they once enjoyed on only one income, even if they want to remain home as mothers. Children suffer most of all because of itl. Women are far, far less happy today than they were before all this began. That's the tragedy of the whole thing.

This is one of those situations where people myopically looked at an issue as if it were a valence issue without considering the longterm ramifications of it. But you can bet the elites knew exactly what they were doing.
For the same reason, Bezos and Musk and others are out there vowing to hire immigrants and foreigners as if they are being virtuous, when all they really give a shit about is keeping labor costs low.
One of the reasons the number of women working increased is because wages started to flatten. I think the pressure to work came from the decrease in wages, and not the other way. The college grad might want to be a business executive, but I don't think the lower class woman wanted to work retail.

Anyways, you are right that wages are so bad and because of multiple causes that women have to work.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:01 am

No, that's not what happened. Real wages began to decline after women began to enter the workforce en masse in the 1960s.