NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Mon May 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:You can give him all the Not Scoring Daps you please, I don't give daps to wingers, for not scoring, if I'm handing out daps up in here, they're going to Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Guentzel, 1st-4th in playoff scoring, 1.43 to 1.86 PPG, as opposed Ochokeskin, who's 19th at 0.75 per game, way behind Oshie and Backstrom, who are the only guys scoring for Washington right now, putting to bed the idea that somehow it's not Ovechkin dragging them down.
Ovechkin looks better out there than Backstrom, stats be damned, especially in this Pens series. If you only want to give dap to the top 4 scorers in the playoffs, then you are one stingy motherfucker with your praise. Ovechkin, Williams and Oshie are the only guys skating with any real energy out there against the Pens, if it weren't for them the Caps would be getting killed even worse. Evgeny Kuznetsov now he's fucking floating out there, Braden Holtby can't stop a beach ball, and that's not even mentioning their slow as molasses defense. Plenty of fingers that need to be pointed elsewhere before we get anywhere near Alexander Ovechkin.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Backstrom has 3 goals on 18 shots, all even strength, Ovechkin has 4 goals on 34 shots, with 2 on the PP, and their possession, Corsi, Fenwick, PDO, and Zone Starts, are almost identical, so Backstrom is actually outplaying him by every metric, except body checks, which, isn't what Ovechkin is paid to do, and isn't winning any games for Washington right now.

Backstrom is actually the only player I would covet on the Caps, to be the Leafs 2C behind Matthews, but I wouldn't give you a bucket of pucks for Ovechkin; most overrated player in the game.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon May 01, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 01, 2017 4:25 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Backstrom has 3 goals on 18 shots, all even strength, Ovechkin has 4 goals on 34 shots, with 2 on the PP, and their possession, Corsi, Fenwick, PDO, and Zone Starts, are almost identical, so Backstrom is actually outplaying him by every metric, except body checks, which, isn't what Ovechkin is paid to do, and isn't winning any games for Washington right now.
Stats are for losers. Eyeball test says fuck Nick Backstrom, especially against the Pens. Ovechkin has been great against the Pens, don't know what you're watching. He may have been slumping against the Leafs offensively, that's the only reason the stats look so sexy for Backstrom in comparison, but even against the Leafs Backstrom didn't play that great.

Best player on the ice for the Washington Capitals against the Pittsburgh Penguins so far this series, that's Alexander Ovechkin. Sydney Crosby is playing a lot better, but that hardly means Ovechkin is the one to shit on because of that.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:31 pm

He's failing the Eyetest too, cause eye ain't seeing him scoring many goals up in here, one more for Guentzel, and he's outscoring Ochokeskin 2-to-1.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:He's failing the Eyetest too, cause eye ain't seeing him scoring many goals up in here, one more for Guentzel, and he's outscoring Ochokeskin 2-to-1.
Guentzel is scoring more goals than everyone so far in the playoffs, if not doing as well as Guentzel in this regard means you fail the eyeball test, than even your boy Crosby is failing it. Not playing as well as Guentzel, at the moment, doesn't mean you aren't playing well, derp.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Ovechkin has 4 goals on 34 shots, Auston Matthews has 4 goals, on 16 shots, 4 goals on 34 shots, is called choking, he's the Zach Hyman of the Washington Capitals right now.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon May 01, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:4 goals on 34 shots, is called choking.
Not really that's still double digit shot percentage. 25% is way, way above average, that's nowhere near normal, even for the best of the best. 4 goals in 34 shots, that's actually around Ovechkin's regular season shooting percentage, not choking at all. Even Crosby who was the top goal scorer in the league this year, had only a 17.3% shooting percentage on the season and this was a damn good year for him when it comes to that.

Not sure who told you that the top scorers should be shooting around 25% or they are choking, but you've been lied to.
/shrugs
Last edited by StCapps on Mon May 01, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Well, I expect my franchise player to be well above average, we're not paying Matthews $10 million yet, but if we were, and he was only batting .110, I'd be calling that a slump, down 0-2 at home in the playoffs, I'd be calling it a choke in progress, Ovechkin is ostensibly the "best goal scorer of his era", but once again, nowhere to be seen in the playoffs, meanwhile, over on the otherside, Croby is at 20%, almost double what OiVey is putting up.

If I was a Caps fan, I would be cursing his name, again, because it's not like this is the first time he's ever gone cold in the playoffs, at this point, it's pretty much his MO.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon May 01, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Well, I expect my franchise player to be well above average, we're not paying Matthews $10 million yet, but if we were, and he was only batting .110, I'd be calling that a slump, down 0-2 at home in the playoffs, I'd be calling it a choke in progress, Ovechkin is ostensibly the "best goal scorer of his era", but once again, nowhere to be seen in the playoffs, meanwhile, over on the otherside, Croby is at 20%, almost double what OiVey is putting up.

If I was a Caps fan, I would be cursing his name, again.
20% is like the best you can hope for, even if you're the best scorer of this generation. Anything higher than that is a miracle or a small sample size.

Shows what you know, Mr. Stats.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon May 01, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:01 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Well, I expect my franchise player to be well above average, we're not paying Matthews $10 million yet, but if we were, and he was only batting .110, I'd be calling that a slump, down 0-2 at home in the playoffs, I'd be calling it a choke in progress, Ovechkin is ostensibly the "best goal scorer of his era", but once again, nowhere to be seen in the playoffs, meanwhile, over on the otherside, Croby is at 20%, almost double what OiVey is putting up.

If I was a Caps fan, I would be cursing his name, again.
20% is like the best you can hope for, even if you're the best scorer of this generation. Shows what you know, Mr. Stats.
Whatevs. I'm sitting over here on a 19 year old rookie, first time ever in the playoffs, playing with two other rookies on his line, at 25%, baby.

Hit em with the four, Auston, brrrup, brrrup, brrrup, brrrup...

Nec Aspera Terrent