Social Justice Warriors Thread

StCapps

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by StCapps » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Hash, I think you sometimes confuse being impressed, with people deferring to your expertise, no matter the quality of your argument.

Credentials aren't everything, being an authority, in and of itself, does not effect the outcome of an argument, and just because someone fails to just bow to your credentials, in such a situation, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't impressed with your credentials.

I know you aren't talking about folks on this forum specifically, and you are speaking in general, but you should still keep that in mind. Food for thought.
*yip*

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 pm

The Patriarchy, what is colloquially called "The American Dream," is embodied by me. What SJWs want to overthrow is The Patriarchy. First thing, change the goals, next change the rules, finally, go on the attack, but stealthily; make it a Virtual Civil War.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Martin Hash wrote:I can't tell if SJWs can be recruited from that crowd or not. Seems like it: he's an Old White Male who only got anything from privilege.

Easily.

I am not sure about his origins, but I think he is self-made.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:46 pm

StCapps wrote:Hash, I think you sometimes confuse being impressed, with people deferring to your expertise, no matter the quality of your argument.

Credentials aren't everything, being an authority, in and of itself, does not effect the outcome of an argument, and just because someone fails to just bow to your credentials, in such a situation, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't impressed with your credentials.

I know you aren't talking about folks on this forum specifically, and you are speaking in general, but you should still keep that in mind. Food for thought.
No one ever "wins" arguments on this forum. You want to see bloodshed, Lurker me on Facebook. I'm a goddamn wrecking machine.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:I can't tell if SJWs can be recruited from that crowd or not. Seems like it: he's an Old White Male who only got anything from privilege.

Easily.

I am not sure about his origins, but I think he is self-made.
So, yes, SJW hate bait.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Martin Hash wrote:I think we've already determined that most Under-40s are NOT impressed. Hell, you could have done it too given the time/inclination/money/luck. I understand that. You're wrong, of course, the odds of doing what I've done is 1 in 4 billion, but logic doesn't play into this. I meet people from the Baby Boom generation all the time, they're fuckin' impressed. I'm royalty. Envied and despised but not one person ever dismisses my accomplishments like an Under-40 does. It's the 40 to 60s I wonder about: what do they think?

p.s. This is coming from my interaction with young techies. Is it all Tech, or just Under-40s.
I fall well into the 40-60 age group.
I wouldn't dismiss your achievements, I'm not particularly motivated by money but I can admire the hard work and dedication that goes into getting rich. Again, your academic achievements say a lot about your work ethic and single mindedness.
What really impresses me though is your desire to experience as many different things as possible. Your travelling, your many hobbies and collections, your willingness to try foods that many people would turn their noses up at. I imagine that you can keep a room enthralled all night with your life stories, that is more admirable for me than any bank account or wall of certificates.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Martin Hash wrote:The Patriarchy, what is colloquially called "The American Dream," is embodied by me. What SJWs want to overthrow is The Patriarchy. First thing, change the goals, next change the rules, finally, go on the attack, but stealthily; make it a Virtual Civil War.
What's happening to me is a result of "change the goals," and Under-40s have, all Under-40s, not just the SJWs.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:I think we've already determined that most Under-40s are NOT impressed. Hell, you could have done it too given the time/inclination/money/luck. I understand that. You're wrong, of course, the odds of doing what I've done is 1 in 4 billion, but logic doesn't play into this. I meet people from the Baby Boom generation all the time, they're fuckin' impressed. I'm royalty. Envied and despised but not one person ever dismisses my accomplishments like an Under-40 does. It's the 40 to 60s I wonder about: what do they think?

p.s. This is coming from my interaction with young techies. Is it all Tech, or just Under-40s.
I fall well into the 40-60 age group.
I wouldn't dismiss your achievements, I'm not particularly motivated by money but I can admire the hard work and dedication that goes into getting rich. Again, your academic achievements say a lot about your work ethic and single mindedness.
What really impresses me though is your desire to experience as many different things as possible. Your travelling, your many hobbies and collections, your willingness to try foods that many people would turn their noses up at. I imagine that you can keep a room enthralled all night with your life stories, that is more admirable for me than any bank account or wall of certificates.
A Renaissance Myn is admirable in all things, but the complete combination is awe-inspiring, to me anyway, and Baby Boomers. Under-40s see my Renaissance Myn achievements (you listed just some of them), and "nope, no Wikipage for you, you haven't done anything noteworthy."

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Martin Hash wrote:I think we've already determined that most Under-40s are NOT impressed. Hell, you could have done it too given the time/inclination/money/luck. I understand that. You're wrong, of course, the odds of doing what I've done is 1 in 4 billion, but logic doesn't play into this.
I think the actual problem is that which you value to the extreme strikes most of us as pointless. So you kill yourself achieving the highest bar you can imagine and then wonder why nobody is impressed that you’ve made it to the summit of your personal Mt. Everest.

The answer is - because none of us chose that particular achievement as our Mt. Everest. You’ve achieved something no one else aspires to, therefore we don’t care.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Mount Everest was amazing.. when Sir Edmond Hillary climbed it. Now it's just like.. okay, guy, have fun climbing the mountain. Don't end up like one of those hundred or so corpsesickles everybody takes photos of on the way up and down.