The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Okeefenokee

Re: The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:That's about 20% calorie deficit, really. About 2.5 lbs per week is as much as you want to go.
I felt chipper and energized the whole time.

I am really starting to think you guys went through a convoluted way to limit your calories. Basic thermodynamics dictates you need to go into a calorie deficit to lose fat anyway. You can do that by either speeding up your metabolism or cutting calories. But 20 lbs in two months is consistent with about 20% deficit in calories, and since the average person devotes about 30-40% of their macros to carbs, and because you limit your total daily carb intake to about 5-10%, you end up losing about 20% of your calories, which would result in about 2.5 lbs lost per week.
I'm not a dietitian. I got a layman's knowledge of this stuff. Carbs are sugars, right? Fruits have sucrose, and bread has glucose, right? My wife's Caribbean. We were eating rice, potatoes, and beans in sizable proportions in every meal. I was drinking high carb german wheat beer regularly.

We both cut back to around 50 grams of carbs a day, and the weight started falling off. At first I was always hungry, so I was eating tons of meat and cheese several times a day. After about a week, the starvation went away, and I only ate a small meal about twice a day.

She cheats more than I do, and I don't think her metabolism is a good as mine, so results have varied.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
I felt chipper and energized the whole time.

I am really starting to think you guys went through a convoluted way to limit your calories. Basic thermodynamics dictates you need to go into a calorie deficit to lose fat anyway. You can do that by either speeding up your metabolism or cutting calories. But 20 lbs in two months is consistent with about 20% deficit in calories, and since the average person devotes about 30-40% of their macros to carbs, and because you limit your total daily carb intake to about 5-10%, you end up losing about 20% of your calories, which would result in about 2.5 lbs lost per week.
I'm not a dietitian. I got a layman's knowledge of this stuff. Carbs are sugars, right? Fruits have sucrose, and bread has glucose, right? My wife's Caribbean. We were eating rice, potatoes, and beans in sizable proportions in every meal. I was drinking high carb german wheat beer regularly.

We both cut back to around 50 grams of carbs a day, and the weight started falling off. At first I was always hungry, so I was eating tons of meat and cheese several times a day. After about a week, the starvation went away, and I only ate a small meal about twice a day.

She cheats more than I do, and I don't think her metabolism is a good as mine, so results have varied.
Sugars are carbs.

The sugars in fruit are not all that bad because the fiber absorbs most of it anyway. Rice and potatoes are good for you as long as you don't eat so many carbs that your glycogen stores are full and the carbs just get converted to fat.

Your muscles have been really flat after two months without any glycogen in them.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:

Sugars are carbs.

The sugars in fruit are not all that bad because the fiber absorbs most of it anyway. Rice and potatoes are good for you as long as you don't eat so many carbs that your glycogen stores are full and the carbs just get converted to fat.

Your muscles have been really flat after two months without any glycogen in them.
My muscles identify as oblique.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm

It's not just calorie cutting, it's fat adaptation:
Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain-function. However, if there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source.
Sure, calories may be cut (or not), but either way the carbs/glucose are cut and your liver takes stored body fat and powers your brain with it. Not too shabby. Even if you take in more calories it's not converting to glucose, and your liver is stall at work turning fat into fuel.

I mean, sure . . . you can't eat a cow every day and still lose weight. Physics is still in play. But the ketogenic diet is going to burn fat, fat, fat. And if you're eating lots fof fat to keep it fueled you're not going to be as hungry as when you were carb feeding. I mean, normal Americans can down five Taco Bell soft tacos with a 44 oz. soda and still make room for some movie p[opcorn. But on Keto you're not going to eat a 16 oz steak and then say "Damn, I could eat four more of those!". Your body will be like"Nah, I'm good, man. Let's just hold it there for a while."
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:35 pm

But the only way you are going to burn the fat on your body as fuel is if you are in a caloric deficit. Otherwise, your body will just utilize the dietary fat and protein..

You can get around this a little with fasting. But that's about it.

I think this kind of diet probably works for the same reason a fat-free diet works. You just removed a substantial portion of your calories from your diet and went into a deficit.

Living off of ketones instead of glycogen might be great for you. I am just saying.. if you lost weight, you had to have consumed less calories than your body burned.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:47 pm

DBTrek wrote:It's not just calorie cutting, it's fat adaptation:
Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain-function. However, if there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source.
Sure, calories may be cut (or not), but either way the carbs/glucose are cut and your liver takes stored body fat and powers your brain with it. Not too shabby. Even if you take in more calories it's not converting to glucose, and your liver is stall at work turning fat into fuel.

I mean, sure . . . you can't eat a cow every day and still lose weight. Physics is still in play. But the ketogenic diet is going to burn fat, fat, fat. And if you're eating lots fof fat to keep it fueled you're not going to be as hungry as when you were carb feeding. I mean, normal Americans can down five Taco Bell soft tacos with a 44 oz. soda and still make room for some movie p[opcorn. But on Keto you're not going to eat a 16 oz steak and then say "Damn, I could eat four more of those!". Your body will be like"Nah, I'm good, man. Let's just hold it there for a while."
I got halfway through a buffalo chicken salad yesterday and couldn't eat anymore.

Today I had a cup of smoked sausage, and a bowl of chicken and rice, and I'm feeling pretty full right now.

The amount of food I can eat in one sitting is way down.

and I think daily intensive brain labor could be burning a good number of calories.

This is my cardio,

apeman

Post by apeman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 am

Okeefenokee wrote:20 pounds in 2 months with no cardio, and drinking low carb beer every night. I've got no other explanation than the change in diet.
Okee, please tell me more about drinking beer during this, I was under the impression alcohol frustrates the purpose of all this.

Day 5 for me -- still no alcohol, which sadly is a point of pride, have not gone this long without a single beer since probably before I was 21.

Energy is super high, I have to work sat and sun this week, yet I am full of energy and motivation, crushing.

BUT

At my neighbors party last night, it is a new experience to be hanging out in a fun group setting with lots of folks and everyone drinking but me, I was surprised that I still had fun (never tried this), gotta figure out where the line for me should be.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:01 am

After a while you won't want alcohol at all. I drink maybe once a year or two, and that's maybe a glass of beer.

Start counting your calories and macros and it will be even more important to you to avoid alcohol. Alcohol kills your gains.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:After a while you won't want alcohol at all. I drink maybe once a year or two, and that's maybe a glass of beer.

Start counting your calories and macros and it will be even more important to you to avoid alcohol. Alcohol kills your gains.

I thought that alcohol did not really mess up your workout as long as you get a bunch of sleep after drinking. Don't your muscles build while you are asleep anyway? idk
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:58 am

heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:After a while you won't want alcohol at all. I drink maybe once a year or two, and that's maybe a glass of beer.

I thought that alcohol did not really mess up your workout as long as you get a bunch of sleep after drinking. Don't your muscles build while you are asleep anyway? idk

Problem is that you don't really maintain a deep sleep after drinking alcohol.

But, also, alcohol is almost as bad as refined sugar when it comes to packing away fat.

So you get less gains (if at all depending upon how much you drink) and also more fat.

When you are young, you can sort of get away with it, though. It's still unhealthy and a poor choice in lifestyle.