Literal Odds and Ends

TheReal_ND

Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat May 13, 2017 5:47 am

de officiis wrote:
OXFORD, England — Birds choose like-minded nest neighbors in the woods very similarly to how humans would go about choosing a compatible personality type for a roommate, a new study on wild great tits finds.

Researchers at Oxford University analyzed the social network structure of wild great tits (Parus major) over six breeding seasons and discovered that the males — but not the females — were very selective in their choices for next neighbors. The new study finds that male great tits are quite selective when it comes to choosing birds to surround themselves with near their nests.

Wild great tit perched on a branch
A new study finds that wild great tits prefer nesting near other birds that have similar personalities.
“We found that males, but not females, were picky about personalities, with males opting for like-minded neighbors,” says study co-author and doctoral student Katerina Johnson of Oxford in a university news release. “Our results emphasize that social interactions may play a key role in animal decisions.”

Male great tits chose to associate with similarly-behaved males in what the researchers say is a move to defend their territories when aggression among the birds is at its peak during breeding season. Looking for opportunities to mate with female great tits, less aggressive males look to avoid nesting next to bolder and more aggressive males. On the other hand, female birds were more likely to choose their nesting location based on the attractive qualities of the male birds in the area.
https://www.studyfinds.org/birds-great- ... onalities/

Who would've guessed that great tits were so choosy?
“We found that males, but not females, were picky about personalities, with males opting for like-minded neighbors,
Side effect of cultural tit enrichment?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat May 13, 2017 3:19 pm

de officiis wrote:
OXFORD, England — Birds choose like-minded nest neighbors in the woods very similarly to how humans would go about choosing a compatible personality type for a roommate, a new study on wild great tits finds.

Researchers at Oxford University analyzed the social network structure of wild great tits (Parus major) over six breeding seasons and discovered that the males — but not the females — were very selective in their choices for next neighbors. The new study finds that male great tits are quite selective when it comes to choosing birds to surround themselves with near their nests.

Wild great tit perched on a branch
A new study finds that wild great tits prefer nesting near other birds that have similar personalities.
“We found that males, but not females, were picky about personalities, with males opting for like-minded neighbors,” says study co-author and doctoral student Katerina Johnson of Oxford in a university news release. “Our results emphasize that social interactions may play a key role in animal decisions.”

Male great tits chose to associate with similarly-behaved males in what the researchers say is a move to defend their territories when aggression among the birds is at its peak during breeding season. Looking for opportunities to mate with female great tits, less aggressive males look to avoid nesting next to bolder and more aggressive males. On the other hand, female birds were more likely to choose their nesting location based on the attractive qualities of the male birds in the area.
https://www.studyfinds.org/birds-great- ... onalities/

Who would've guessed that great tits were so choosy?
We could spend a month unpacking that one. :clap:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun May 14, 2017 7:05 pm

I decided to go fishing yesterday. It was a good time. I got a cheap little pole and spinner combo and picked out some sinkers, a spoon lure, and some bait hooks and some bobbers. First place I went was a dead end street and a little creek. I put a piece of hot dog on the bait hook and plopped it down next to a deeper spot hoping to catch a cat fish. I immediately got a hit but it was a turtle so I had to reel him in and let him bite my finger while I pulled the hook out. That sucked and upon looking around more I decided the creek was populated by nothing but turtles so I left and went to the Brazos River and parked under an overpass. (Pics related.) That was very cool because I found that if I hiked a ways down I could be completely secluded but it was a very difficult hike as it's all tough country. I got my legs scraped up but I found a nice spot and proceeded to use my spoon lure. I must have cast a half dozen times when I think I snagged something like a tree. I let out the drag but no it was taking my line out to the bottom. I decided this must be another turtle and decided to fight him on shore to let him go. Sure enough at one point he crested the water on his side and by the looks of it he was a giant softshell snapper. Eventually I got frustrated straining the limits of my line and little pole and I broke the line.

Did a little swimming and saw a guy on a canoe. Now I want a canoe. Then I saw another fisherman and we smoked some bud which was very good. Good day. Still sun burnt though.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun May 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Always good to get back to nature when you can.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun May 14, 2017 8:17 pm

If I go swimming in the Rio Grand, will y'all pay my hospital bills?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun May 14, 2017 8:21 pm

• swimming
    Rio Grande
You'd be better off in a kiddo pool. I don't think there is enough water there to merit more than splashing.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Tornado warning. Better get more beer. Still got a little dope heh.

Where the fuck is Okee? Why is he MIA? Someone get him on the fucking radio.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Wed May 24, 2017 5:58 pm

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7342

Look who though they could sneak in under the radar.....

:popcorn:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 am

Was this motorsport invented for Nukedog?

https://gambler500.com

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Damn. Techno Viking lost his gains.

He literally a beta now with a boyfriend.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/0 ... hno-viking

He was a legend.
Gunther said he left the lumberjack business in 2002, after being fired for misconduct.

“Yeah, I got angry at one of the lads and I punched a tree. But the tree fell on top of my supervisor and broke his leg. They don’t make speed like that any more,” he laughed.