The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Okeefenokee

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun May 07, 2017 9:51 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Who would win in a fight: Adam Lanza or Omar Mateen?
Shikata ga nai

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Wed May 10, 2017 5:13 am

Army Times wrote:After carrying the M16 or one of its cousins across the globe for more than half a century, soldiers could get a peek at a new prototype assault rifle that fires a larger round by 2020.

Army researchers are testing half a dozen ammunition variants in “intermediate calibers,” which falls between the current 7.62 mm and 5.56 mm rounds, to create a new light machine gun and inform the next-generation individual assault rifle/round combo.

The weapon designs being tested will be “unconventional,” officials said, and likely not one that is currently commercially available.

Some intermediate calibers being tested include the .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 USA as well as other non-commercial intermediate calibers, including cased telescoped ammo, Army officials said.

Critics of the M16/M4 and the 5.56 mm round say no matter what has been done to improve the M16 and its subsequent variations, the 5.56 mm round lacks the range and lethality needed in modern firefights.
https://www.armytimes.com/articles/new- ... m4-and-556

I agree. The .223 is just too light a round. Having been designed to wound or incapacitate Soviet and other Warsaw Pact soldiers--the idea being that civilized nations dragged away their comrades, and thus would utilize more resources on the battlefield for such purposes--while at the same time allowing individual infantrymen to carry three-hundred rounds of 5.56mm rather than two-hundred rounds of the formerly standard .308 caliber--the .223 is outdated for the role it plays today.
I've fired 6.5mm rounds from old Swedish Mausers (beautiful rifles), but found them a little on the light side; with today's technology, who knows what they could do unconfined to lead and brass.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed May 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Hollow point really changes the nature of that round though.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 10, 2017 2:38 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Hollow point really changes the nature of that round though.

Police can use hollow points on US Citizens, but the Military will not use them on foreign enemies because.................. it's inhumane. :think:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Army Times wrote:After carrying the M16 or one of its cousins across the globe for more than half a century, soldiers could get a peek at a new prototype assault rifle that fires a larger round by 2020.

Army researchers are testing half a dozen ammunition variants in “intermediate calibers,” which falls between the current 7.62 mm and 5.56 mm rounds, to create a new light machine gun and inform the next-generation individual assault rifle/round combo.

The weapon designs being tested will be “unconventional,” officials said, and likely not one that is currently commercially available.

Some intermediate calibers being tested include the .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 USA as well as other non-commercial intermediate calibers, including cased telescoped ammo, Army officials said.

Critics of the M16/M4 and the 5.56 mm round say no matter what has been done to improve the M16 and its subsequent variations, the 5.56 mm round lacks the range and lethality needed in modern firefights.
https://www.armytimes.com/articles/new- ... m4-and-556

I agree. The .223 is just too light a round. Having been designed to wound or incapacitate Soviet and other Warsaw Pact soldiers--the idea being that civilized nations dragged away their comrades, and thus would utilize more resources on the battlefield for such purposes--while at the same time allowing individual infantrymen to carry three-hundred rounds of 5.56mm rather than two-hundred rounds of the formerly standard .308 caliber--the .223 is outdated for the role it plays today.
I've fired 6.5mm rounds from old Swedish Mausers (beautiful rifles), but found them a little on the light side; with today's technology, who knows what they could do unconfined to lead and brass.
Here's one paper on the subject
http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/MilitaryRev ... art004.pdf

and there is another one that is much better, written by a young Infantry Officer who served in Af'stan. I think it was Taking back the Infantry Half Kilometer.
http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=A ... tTRDoc.pdf
the Author was Major Earhart, published in 2009. One of the better military papers I have ever read.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed May 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Got my grandpa's old .38 Spl S&W Detective Special service revolver from my dad. This was my grandfather's gun when he was a police detective.

Nice and small.

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed May 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Great backup gun imo. They are always ready to fire and don't suffer from out of battery or other common semi automatic pistol issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_malfunction

I really wanted a conceal carry hammerless .357 as my firearm but I got a good deal on something else. The .357 can fire .38 on the cheap or in a pinch plus there are rifles that will chamber it. Just reload .357 all day every day. Old S&W .38's are still cool as fuck and can handle some pretty devasting modern built rounds though.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed May 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Also, go visit /k/ and post your funs up

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed May 10, 2017 6:39 pm

I own 2 of these, .357, one that's never been fired. Excellent revolvers--not very expensive, very reliable and easy to shoot, easy to dissemble and clean.