The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 pm

It's not a contest between the glass and the bullet, but between the glass and the shooter. If I crack somebody's head open with a chair, and the chair breaks, we don't call it a draw between the comatose guy and the chair.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 01, 2017 4:57 pm

A guy I work with is really into guns. His wife also owns a couple, and they go shooting together. He told me that glock handguns are terrible. Is this true? If so, why are they so popular here in the states? I've never fired a glock (or any handgun) so I don't know.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm

I bet he fires grandpa calibres too.

No it's not true.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 01, 2017 5:03 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I bet he fires grandpa calibres too.

No it's not true.
What is a grandpa calibre?
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 01, 2017 5:04 pm

He's shown me his guns. I think he's got an AR-15, a .38, and possibly a .357. He's a pretty chill guy, but you would not wanna break into his house.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 01, 2017 11:02 pm

heydaralon wrote:A guy I work with is really into guns. His wife also owns a couple, and they go shooting together. He told me that glock handguns are terrible. Is this true? If so, why are they so popular here in the states? I've never fired a glock (or any handgun) so I don't know.
The best gun, is the gun you've trained on enough to have mastered the weapon.

Glocks are good guns, have a strong following, nothing wrong with that. They are not a perfect gun, if you want to see the shortcomings of Glocks, look at Springfield XDs and Smith & Wesson M&Ps, they are essentially improved Glocks. There have been many documented cases of Glocks blowing up, particularly 40 cals. From what I hear they almost all have been related to reloaded ammo. Just go into Youtube and search for Glock Blow Up and you'll find lots of vids.

There are a ton of dick measuring about the best gun, 1911 vs Glock, AR vs AK, it's mostly bullshit. Give me a Limey with well trained with a short action enfield firing with their middle finger and he'd probably smoke most these clowns.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue May 02, 2017 6:31 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:It's not a contest between the glass and the bullet, but between the glass and the shooter. If I crack somebody's head open with a chair, and the chair breaks, we don't call it a draw between the comatose guy and the chair.
If we were going by your logic, the fact that the bullet was stronger than the drop, we could have stopped at the .22 since by happenstance it destroyed the drop.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue May 02, 2017 6:32 am

heydaralon wrote:A guy I work with is really into guns. His wife also owns a couple, and they go shooting together. He told me that glock handguns are terrible. Is this true? If so, why are they so popular here in the states? I've never fired a glock (or any handgun) so I don't know.
If you are proficient in it, no... if it doesn't do what you want, no... it just mens that the person has a personal preference.
#NotOneRedCent

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue May 02, 2017 5:30 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:It's not a contest between the glass and the bullet, but between the glass and the shooter. If I crack somebody's head open with a chair, and the chair breaks, we don't call it a draw between the comatose guy and the chair.
If we were going by your logic, the fact that the bullet was stronger than the drop, we could have stopped at the .22 since by happenstance it destroyed the drop.
No, no, no. That's not how it works.

The .22 and the .38 failed.

The .221 and the .308 won.

The .221 was about the same caliber as the .22, and smaller than the .38, but the .221 did what the other two could not.

To confirm the test, he used a .308, smaller than the failed .38, and the smaller round won again.

The hypothesis was that smaller caliber, but more pointy bullets, could defeat the drop where the blunt bullets failed.

You're not too good at this science thing.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Yeah but blunt tips make for the best stopping power. What's the point of a pointy bullet unless you are firing through an object? I'm sure most hunting rounds are shaped the way they do to provide adequate penetration but that's not something a personal defense round should be focused on in 9/10 cases.