Net Neutrality

Fife

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by Fife » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:34 pm

This thread is approaching Peak Retard.

Readers of this thread, take a look around at who is cheer-leading your position.

Pour it on, and congratulations, statists.

:goteam: :drunk:

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Using the government to stop theoreticals is a terrible idea.

Such wouldn’t happen, unless consumers demanded it, under a competitive ISP environment.

The government you want to empower if far far far more likely to do that.

Again, net neutrality will not save you from the horrors of a government created for profit monopoly.

It is a false god.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 pm

If Comcast before NN were throttling their costumers' internet and were basically blocking sites like Netflix then why would they won't do the same when NN goes away?

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 pm

nmoore63 wrote:Using the government to stop theoreticals is a terrible idea.

Such wouldn’t happen, unless consumers demanded it, under a competitive ISP environment.

The government you want to empower if far far far more likely to do that.

Again, net neutrality will not save you from the horrors of a government created for profit monopoly.

It is a false god.
Oh, its a TRUE GOD in the DPRK; and every other place that fears the internet more than I fear a fucking thousand-eyed spider.

Forget it, Nick. You can give these dummies the truth all day long; but the truth has an uphill fight against a good old GIBS ALERT.

The free-lunch fuckers are going to hate your free-exchange white-privileged ass.

The internet was a hell of an idea, anyway.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:51 pm

Poor statists.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Fife wrote:
Ah the Wild West days of the Internet.

They were never going to last.

My grandkids will have a hard time believing I could simply start my own website within minutes and I fill it with dick pics for all to see if I wanted to and not even have to ask the governments prior permision.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:42 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
Fife wrote:
Ah the Wild West days of the Internet.

They were never going to last.

My grandkids will have a hard time believing I could simply start my own website within minutes and I fill it with dick pics for all to see if I wanted to and not even have to ask the governments prior permision.
I mean, you still can. It'd just be a matter of finding a web host that wouldn't kick you off the moment they find out your stuffing your allotment with such images, and a domain that'd be willing to issue you an address for said site. You'd probably have to hand-code it too, I doubt SquareSpace or Wordpress would be kosher with that sort of thing. Also, probably wanna run that sucker through Let's Encrypt to get your green padlock in place. And that's all assuming, in your idealized world free of the NN shackles, they wouldn't just choose to blacklist you from all the privately owned DNS servers anyway.

I'll note that situation I just described mostly a matter of individual companies policies. If you don't like so many of them wouldn't let you host such a site, then your issue is with how the industry in general self-polices, not necessarily the government regulations, which outside the EU and scattered dictatorships are quite lax.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Yet some how you consider ISPs to be special demons.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm

nmoore63 wrote:Yet some how you consider ISPs to be special demons.
Yes, actually, because unlike the others I described, they control the intarweb pipes coming into my house. I already have to deal with NN-less shit with my awful mobile plans capping me at 6 GB a month at the $45 plan Pay-as-You-Go plan, and it'd be bumped up to a mere 22 GB at the $65 plan, which is as high as the PaYG plans for them go. And AT&T's competitors might offer "Unlimited" pay as you go data, but their actual wireless coverage sucks in comparison.

I tolerate it, though, because I can just come back home, connect to my nice fast Wifi, and watch all the dumb cat videos and car repair videos I want without worrying about the meter. Without NN, I might lose that option entirely. I could have a similar situation to my miserly data while paying the exact same fees, which sucks because having cut the cord otherwise has been pretty sweet, all told.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas