International sports bar

SuburbanFarmer

Re: International sports bar

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

That's my shit right there. I used to watch all the UFC championships on VHS with my little brother. Gracie's were unbeatable, and ken shamrock was a fucking monster.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:47 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:That's my shit right there. I used to watch all the UFC championships on VHS with my little brother. Gracie's were unbeatable, and ken shamrock was a fucking monster.
We can tell that you've haven't watched it much since, your impressions of the sport are frozen in the 90's. The game has evolved since the days Royce Gracie ruled the roost. Fights take place mostly on the feet these days, improved striking footwork and improved takedown defense have made takedowns far harder to come by than back in Royce's day. Not only that but fighters are far better at getting back to their feet if they get taken down and consequently the sport is obviously quite different than you remember, with far more balance between striking and grappling as well as far more blending of both simultaneously.

For an example of blending your striking and grappling game, see this Jose Aldo KO:

Royce Gracie never even conceived of such possibilities when he was fighting, that's how much the game has changed. Gracie never faced anyone with takedown defense anywhere near as good as Jose Aldo, and if he did he would have looked like a fish out of water.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Why did they tame it down? It seems like the more brutal stuff would net a larger audience?
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm

heydaralon wrote:Why did they tame it down? It seems like the more brutal stuff would net a larger audience?
It didn't. Ask Jon McCain, his campaign against it lead to it getting banned in many states.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Why did they tame it down? It seems like the more brutal stuff would net a larger audience?
It didn't. Ask Jon McCain.
Is that how he got his swollen jaw? :lol:
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:06 pm

heydaralon wrote:
StCapps wrote:
It didn't. Ask Jon McCain.
Probably. McCain helped speed up the sport cleaning up it's act, so history has vindicated him on that political grandstanding he did regarding it, leading to it getting banned in many states. Some MMA fans still hold a grudge against him for that, not me though, there are so many better reasons to hate on McCain, and MMA getting banned lead to a much better product.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:09 pm

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
StCapps wrote:It didn't. Ask Jon McCain.
Probably. McCain helped speed up the sport cleaning up it's act, so history has vindicated him on that political grandstanding he did regarding it, leading to it getting banned in many states. Some MMA fans still hold a grudge against him for that, not me though, there are so many better reasons to hate on McCain, and MMA is better for it these days.
Do you think in our lifetimes (American) football will be banned or regulated in such a way that will make it downright boring to watch? It is an immensely profitable and popular sport right now, but there are also a bunch of Malcolm Gladwell types that cry the blues about it being dangerous.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 pm

heydaralon wrote:Do you think in our lifetimes (American) football will be banned or regulated in such a way that will make it downright boring to watch? It is an immensely profitable and popular sport right now, but there are also a bunch of Malcolm Gladwell types that cry the blues about it being dangerous.
It might self-regulate itself into downright boring eventually, but still a long ways to go. The government isn't dumb enough to fuck with the money machine, I don't see them stepping in the way like they did with MMA. Football is on much sounder footing today than MMA in the late 90's, it's night and day.
*yip*

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Mayweather v McGregor - Film Room

and this
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:That's my shit right there. I used to watch all the UFC championships on VHS with my little brother. Gracie's were unbeatable, and ken shamrock was a fucking monster.
We can tell that you've haven't watched it much since, your impressions of the sport are frozen in the 90's. The game has evolved since the days Royce Gracie ruled the roost. Fights take place mostly on the feet these days, improved striking footwork and improved takedown defense have made takedowns far harder to come by than back in Royce's day. Not only that but fighters are far better at getting back to their feet if they get taken down and consequently the sport is obviously quite different than you remember, with far more balance between striking and grappling as well as far more blending of both simultaneously.

For an example of blending your striking and grappling game, see this Jose Aldo KO:

Royce Gracie never even conceived of such possibilities when he was fighting, that's how much the game has changed. Gracie never faced anyone with takedown defense anywhere near as good as Jose Aldo, and if he did he would have looked like a fish out of water.
Nonsense. Hoyce would have wrapped his legs around, and strangled the life outta that kid.

The sport has changed because they're not allowed to choke or do a number of things now. Gotta make it good for tv.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0