Public School Education System Thread

clubgop

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by clubgop » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:13 pm

StCapps wrote:
mydogjesse wrote:First, 13 years of Catholic school here with a perfect score on the English written SAT, so not dissing their comparative quality to the public schools in a bad to moderate area. I know their strong and weak points. I would take a Catholic primary & HS. education in a heartbeat if I lived somewhere where the public schools were bad. But the reality is that people who want religion in the schools don't want a Catholic education. They want fundamentalist Christianity taught. They'd have heart attacks if their kids were saying the Hail Mary every day or were taught comparative religion. They're not looking for a quality Jesuit education. They want conformity to their personal beliefs, which has nothing to do with education.
So what? Because you don't like the teachings of the Protestants as much you like the teachings of Catholics, you think it will lead to some state going back to the iron age simply because they decided to teach creationism in their public schools? Sorry but you overrate the damage done by teaching creationism. People can believe all sorts of silly nonsense and the country will run just fine, start complaining if they stop teaching good science to only teach bad science, until then stop pretending you know what's best for the Texas and Oklahoma education system better than Texans and Oklahoman's do.

There is no danger of a theocracy forming in any state that will suppress scientific progress, and teaching creationism in pubic schools isn't the first step towards that either, stop the ridiculous hyperbole people. Y'all simply want to look down your nose at the religious schooling by pretending that because some of their whackier beliefs are being taught it will somehow automatically hold these schools back from being as good or or better than public schools. This is balderdash.
Do they have any proof? Where are the failing and underperforming districts? Come, with some data. Im sure the people that grow your food and supply your energy know more about real relevant science than GCF sorry ass.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:11 pm

These people think there's a fundamentalist cult around every corner. It's like the whole country is a bunch of cultists just waiting to be let off the chain. One slip, and it all washes away. We'll be back in old testament my night fall. Be a very wary bear.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:18 pm

StCapps wrote:
mydogjesse wrote:First, 13 years of Catholic school here with a perfect score on the English written SAT, so not dissing their comparative quality to the public schools in a bad to moderate area. I know their strong and weak points. I would take a Catholic primary & HS. education in a heartbeat if I lived somewhere where the public schools were bad. But the reality is that people who want religion in the schools don't want a Catholic education. They want fundamentalist Christianity taught. They'd have heart attacks if their kids were saying the Hail Mary every day or were taught comparative religion. They're not looking for a quality Jesuit education. They want conformity to their personal beliefs, which has nothing to do with education.
So what? Because you don't like the teachings of the Protestants as much you like the teachings of Catholics, you think it will lead to some state going back to the iron age simply because they decided to teach creationism in their public schools? Sorry but you overrate the damage done by teaching creationism. People can believe all sorts of silly nonsense and the country will run just fine, start complaining if they stop teaching good science to only teach bad science, until then stop pretending you know what's best for the Texas and Oklahoma education system better than Texans and Oklahoman's do.

There is no danger of a theocracy forming in any state that will suppress scientific progress, and teaching creationism in pubic schools isn't the first step towards that either, stop the ridiculous hyperbole people. Y'all simply want to look down your nose at the religious schooling by pretending that because some of their whackier beliefs are being taught it will somehow automatically hold these schools back from being as good or or better than public schools. This is balderdash.
I don't care about the teachings of either. My point is that creationism is simply a tool, not the goal. As far as the TX and OK education systems, the market, in aggregate, has already spoken.
:royalty-queen:

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
mydogjesse wrote:They want conformity to their personal beliefs, which has nothing to do with education.
So do the Leftards who run the secular schools, the secular schools are just as much about imposing conformity, if not more.
Both secular and religious schools impose limits. Having experienced both, the limits in the public schools are less restrictive than the limits in the religious schools.

We haven't even mentioned the elite private schools, which are not religious and offer the best education. Choate comes to mind, or any of the similar schools in CT. If they had admission based on ability only (like Bronx Science), it would be a great benefit to the country. I'm thinking academies set up in each region, admitting the best and the brightest. It would be amazing to have centers of excellence like that.
:royalty-queen:

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:20 pm

mydogjesse wrote:If they had admission based on ability only (like Bronx Science), it would be a great benefit to the country. I'm thinking academies set up in each region, admitting the best and the brightest. It would be amazing to have centers of excellence like that.
From each according to his ability . . .

and all that rot.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:These people think there's a fundamentalist cult around every corner. It's like the whole country is a bunch of cultists just waiting to be let off the chain. One slip, and it all washes away. We'll be back in old testament my night fall. Be a very wary bear.
Its not the whole country, its just certain regions

Christianity is a missionary and evangelical faith. One of the core tenets of all denominations is to convert nonbelievers
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:36 pm

Should we start teaching 911 Truth and Flat Earth Theories in certain sections of the country because people believe that? How about anti-vaccination theory? There are a lot of pockets of that around
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:41 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:Should we start teaching 911 Truth and Flat Earth Theories in certain sections of the country because people believe that? How about anti-vaccination theory? There are a lot of pockets of that around
Whine all you like. It's happening. The DoE is going away. Teacher's unions are going away. Your totalitarian regime is going away. You lost.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:44 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:Should we start teaching 911 Truth and Flat Earth Theories in certain sections of the country because people believe that? How about anti-vaccination theory? There are a lot of pockets of that around

Number one, you presume that this stuff is all Christian. That's just silly. Christian theologians were discussing evolution as a general concept in late antiquity. Most of these schools *do* teach evolution. Number two, the government schools fail to teach kids much of anything other than "evolution is right. Listen to the scientists and the democratic party." On the other hand, parochial schools do statistically greatly outperform government schools across the board, including in the sciences.

You have a prejudicial bias that causes you to want to fuck with the free choices of other Americans. I think a lot of this has to do with the yankee culture that dominates much of the Northeast, Great Lakes, and Pacific Coastline. Yankees were originally a puritan group who believed if they followed some perfect set of communitarian precepts they would establish a utopia on Earth. These days they replaced the original Puritanism with the radical secularism of progressive politics. But the behavior and biases remain the same.

Maybe we just need to break up? Because I don't see how we can reconcile this. You guys are falling farther and farther into the gravity well of statism, and the rest of us don't want to go down there with you.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Whine all you like. It's happening. The DoE is going away. Teacher's unions are going away. Your totalitarian regime is going away. You lost.
Yeah, I doubt that.