THE ERA OF TRUMP

SuburbanFarmer

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:54 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 am
I'll bite. Grump says the US subsidizes Amazon. I think we could agree the tax payer shouldn't have to pay for their shipping.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/16/amazon-po ... e-subsidy/

Basically this article says the formula for calculating shipping costs is outdated which means Amazon is getting a better rate than they really should. Calling that a subsidy is kind of a stretch in my opinion.
Also, we just finished discussing the ridiculous subsidization of a power line to Amazon's data centers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... u-might-be
Amazon Isn’t Paying Its Electric Bills. You Might Be
Amazon has also negotiated an unknown rate discount with American Electric Power in Ohio, where it received $77 million in tax incentives for three data centers in 2016. Late last year, Amazon dangled 12 more in exchange for reduced electricity rates, and AEP exempted it from surcharges other Ohioans must pay. “That’s de facto cost-­shifting,” says Ned Hill, an economist who teaches economic development policy at Ohio State University. “Other businesses and households in Ohio are now bearing all the costs of those riders.” The other businesses include Facebook Inc., which opened a $759 million data center in Ohio last year. “As a general practice, we do not negotiate exclusive rates,” Facebook spokeswoman Melanie Roe says.
In sum total: https://www.bna.com/amazon-close-breaking-n57982085432/
Amazon Close to Breaking Wal-Mart Record for Subsidies

Amazon, the national leader in e-commerce sales, is expected to vault past a record for state and local tax subsidies held for many years by Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the undisputed king of brick-and-mortar retail sales.

An exact calculation of the total level of state and local subsidies for either company would be impossible due to the lack of a central economic development data source and inconsistencies in disclosure protocols among jurisdictions. However, a conservative estimate by the progressive economic policy research and advocacy group Good Jobs First suggests Wal-Mart has captured more than $1.2 billion in tax abatements, credits, exemptions, infrastructure assistance and financing deals during four decades of rapid expansion that has left the company with 4,672 retail locations across the country.

An analysis of similar subsidy data, however, shows Amazon could surpass Wal-Mart’s $1.2 billion record later this year.

At the end of 2016, Good Jobs First and the Institute for Local Self Reliance (ILSR), a progressive policy group focusing on sustainable community development, pegged Amazon’s record for state and local subsidies at just over $1 billion ( for data on Amazon-awarded subsidies since 2015, see chart below). The new year began with Amazon committing to build out its rapid-delivery business model, and states and municipalities lined up to help. In less than three months, Amazon racked up another $92 million in tax credits and exemptions to develop warehouses and fulfillment centers in California, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland and Michigan.
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:55 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:37 pm
They’re done producing for their employer. They aren’t even taking trash out or performing some menial task after they clock out.
They’re just commuting home.
First stop, Amazon security checkpoint.
:twisted:
.... a mandated task, exerting control over the movements of the worker. They are not 'free to go', they are performing a mandated task, directed by the employer.

How far do you want to go with this? Can your employer mandate that you do something for 1 hour "off the clock"? 2 hours? Why not 4?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:59 pm

If they’re upfront with the requirement and you can accept or decline, who cares?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:03 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:59 pm
If they’re upfront with the requirement and you can accept or decline, who cares?
Do you imagine that they were 'upfront' during the interview process?

Hey, by the way, you'll have to stand around for an extra hour off the clock, and hold your shit-can. Is that cool?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:09 pm

Yep.

Having interviewed at Amazon three times I imagine they were.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:11 pm

People like this are who we need to isolate and remove from power, because they are precisely the kinds of jackasses who hand control of the federal government back over to the democrats.

Seriously need to purge the GOP of people like this. This is how you lose to democrats.

Loser Strategy 101 on full display.

"LOL you can not be paid for two hours of your time and shit in the coffee can. It's legal!!"

Fucking isolate these people. Do not claim them. Do not support them. Let them dig their grave and then let everybody else tell them to take a hike.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Who is StA speaking for now?

What clubs am I being kicked out of for the crime of embracing the rule of law? Anarchists?

Wouldn’t I have to join the GOP before being kicked out?

So many questions.
:lol:

Please, please, please don’t remove me from power. I haven’t even had a chance to exercise it yet. In fact, I didn’t realize I was in a position of power. I really need to go through my mail more often.
Last edited by DBTrek on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:20 pm

I am speaking for paying people for their time when you hire them. Crazy thought, I know. Maybe stealing is wrong?? Who knew?!

It's almost like the inverse of paying people to sit on the computer and talk shit online. Weird how it's okay to pay DB to post online but workers at Amazon don't have the right to be compensated for their time. Strange.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:22 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:20 pm
I am speaking for paying people for their time when you hire them. Crazy thought, I know. Maybe stealing is wrong?? Who knew?!

It's almost like the inverse of paying people to sit on the computer and talk shit online. Weird how it's okay to pay DB to post online but workers at Amazon don't have the right to be compensated for their time. Strange.
We’re all paying you to dominate online posting here.
You seem to sleep ok.
;)

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Let’s take the passions and feelers surrounding Amazon out of the equation.

Suppose “Survival Inc.” operates an underground living community deep in an abandoned copper mine. They hire cleaners who are responsible for keeping the various subterranean living pods tidy.

Reaching the deep shafts where the pods are requires a 30 mIn elevator ride. The timecard clock is at the bottom of the shaft (even though you technically enter Survival inc. property when you park at the company lot on the surface).

Cleaners are aware of the elevator ride when offered the job.

Criminal?