DCF Refugee Internment Camp

Smitty-48

Re: DCF Refugee Interment Camp

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Hastur wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Hastur wrote:Once a Grognard always a Grognard.

You can't help yourself. Hack bitches will get kicked. Weak sauce will get wiped away. Jingly keys will get ignored.
:lol:

Fuckin' ankle biter.
No disrespect intended. I'm a huge fan. Love your work. Keep at it!
Can't say it's actually "work" being me, I don't have to work at it, and it's actually a whole lotta fun being me, that being said, we have a fresh start here, a clean sheet, so I am going to attempt to take lessons learned from nine years on the DCF, and apply them for greater effect here, when I joined the DCF, I had no perspective, now I can look back and see what was good about my contributions, and also where I probably should have just lived and let live, rather than light the whole kibbutz up, in an orgy of rhetorical violence.

That's not to say that I'm not still rattlesnake mean, I gotta be me, but I've mellowed with age, I don't have the same alacrity anymore, to spit venom in your eye, just for lookin' at me funny. I'm getting in touch with my inner nickmoore63.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:46 pm

I guess what I'm saying is, when I came to the DCF, I was an Outsider, I was dissident to the DCF, I was an insurgent, but here, I'm a Plank Owner, and there's nothing here, to actually be dissident to, to wit, as much as this ship is crewed by ex-DCF, Dan Carlin is not captain here, so I no longer have any cause, to stage a mutiny.

I don't feel like I need to defend Dan Carlin, I don't feel like I need to challenge Dan Carlin's authority, I feel quite liberated from Dan Carlin actually, been there, done that, moved on.

Basically, the DCF crew has taken on a life of its own, and we don't actually need Dan Carlin anymore, we are our own thing now, which has transcended Dan Carlin & Co.

It's like Dan Carlin was the British Empire, but this here is the New World, which could be, if we don't blow it up, an America of our very own. We're not Dan Carlin's subjects here, we are the Founding Fathers now.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:01 pm

That's very well said Smitty. I was trying to sum up similar thoughts. I've noticed so much comradeship since we jumped. And once we had a destination, few hung around to let the door hit them on the ass on the way out.

For me, we share the common bond of being digital refugees.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Do it right and one hundred years from now you could all have your faces on bank notes and stamps
Carlin delenda est

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Let's just make sure the Blue Coats never take our Gentleman's Agreement from us, Rebs, a Confederacy, sirs, if you can keep it.

Deo Vindice.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Hear! Hear!!

No more hearing about the "good ol days" when people were intelligent assholes as opposed to just assholes.

If this place is going to succeed, it will because of the effort we contribute.

I am going to start trying to post at least one well thought out piece a month. I don't have the ability to rapid post like some in real-time but I can usual carve out a couple of hours to post a blog like thought.

A concern I have is how will we attract new members. Without fresh fish everyone once in a while we risk the conversations growing stale. That certainly appeared to happen at DCF when fewer posters were contributing.

I know Nuke took a ton of heat for his style but he may have had the biggest impact as any user since 2010. He pushed numerous topics using inflammatory comments that many of us were not familiar with.

The whole 4chan and MemeWar angle of this election was totally absent from the board until Nuke showed up. By the time that Hillary made her "Alt-Right" speech the DCF had been down that road and was way ahead of the news cycle because of Nuke.

Point being fresh blood is crucial to keeping the board lively and informed.

Maybe have a round table discussion about how to proceed as far as attracting new contributors and any possible ideas to make this forum better than the last.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:28 pm

kybkh wrote:
A concern I have is how will we attract new members. Without fresh fish everyone once in a while we risk the conversations growing stale. That certainly appeared to happen at DCF when fewer posters were contributing.
One thought I had was that making sure that any discussion of HH or CS used the exact title of the show (which was the norm at DCF anyway) so that google hits brought up this place...

Maybe someone more tech savvy can jump in and tweak the idea. I'm more of an annoying marketing guy than an engineer.
Carlin delenda est

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Quality trumps quantity, I'd take one nukedog, over a million of those useless twats that was crying about us over at reddit.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Manwithnoname wrote:
kybkh wrote:
One thought I had was that making sure that any discussion of HH or CS used the exact title of the show (which was the norm at DCF anyway) so that google hits brought up this place...

Maybe someone more tech savvy can jump in and tweak the idea. I'm more of an annoying marketing guy than an engineer.

Nice ! Need to get the word out to the rest of the Hashemite Army. :D
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:45 pm

X
Last edited by Fife on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.