Brexit

Montegriffo

Re: Brexit

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:The way I hear it, the UK had one of the sweetest deals in the EU, since it was being such a stick in the mud about joining in the first place. It got to keep the pound, had more autonomy with labor regulations and still enjoyed the benefit of the EU trade agreements.

An average citizen like Monte might recognize that it is unlikely that the UK will be able to negotiate a series of bilateral trade agreements as beneficial as the EU deal they had with other European countries.
Not to mention the decade or so of uncertainty adversely affecting the economy while new trade deals are worked out.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:The way I hear it, the UK had one of the sweetest deals in the EU, since it was being such a stick in the mud about joining in the first place. It got to keep the pound, had more autonomy with labor regulations and still enjoyed the benefit of the EU trade agreements.

An average citizen like Monte might recognize that it is unlikely that the UK will be able to negotiate a series of bilateral trade agreements as beneficial as the EU deal they had with other European countries.
Apart from the fact I'm clearly an above average citizen you have summed it up nicely.
Also I'm a subject not a citizen, but I'm just splitting hairs now. ;)
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Montegriffo wrote:

Apart from the fact I'm clearly an above average citizen you have summed it up nicely.
Also I'm a subject not a citizen, but I'm just splitting hairs now. ;)
Sorry, I am in the habit of thinking in terms of citizenship because I am a free American, and not a boot-licking subject of a parasitic 'sovereign.' :D

But yeah, I have a hard time seeing how Brexit is going to be good for the Crown's subjects... I mean, excepting a total collapse of all European trade and nation states of course. There are plenty of reasons not to like the EU, like its severely anti-democratic, behind-closed-doors style of decision making, but Brexit looks more and more like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face at best, and a tool cynically used by a handful of demagogues that are willing to burn the UK for their own personal advancement at worst.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:39 pm

My problem with arguing Brexit with Monte is that he's the expert when it comes to knowing what he wants for his country. Because I think he is the expert, but I still think Brexit is a good idea, I'm going to abstain from holding too strong of an opinion. Monte takes the push.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Martin Hash wrote:My problem with arguing Brexit with Monte is that he's the expert when it comes to knowing what he wants for his country. Because I think he is the expert, but I still think Brexit is a good idea, I'm going to abstain from holding too strong of an opinion. Monte takes the push.
How can anyone 'think Brexit is a good idea' when even the people who wanted it the most don't even know what it is supposed to look like, or how it is supposed to work?

Brexit isn't even a bad idea... it is just, like, 12% of any idea at all.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm

All the dire predictions haven't come true, only good things are happening. When that reverses, get back to me.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Basically voting for Brexit without any notion of what it involves is like buying a house and signing up for a 25 year mortgage without ever seeing it.
Those who urged us to vote leave have no plan for achieving a positive outcome and no idea what the consequences will be. It's unlikely that it will end well for the UK and we lose our power to influence the EU into the bargain.
I predict a backlash starting when it becomes clear that the divorce bill will cost us £20 billion and inflation will affect the pockets of each and every one of us.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:01 pm

The UK is still in the process of trying to make their brilliant leap before you look decision work, and I really hope it does work, not only for her subjects, but to stand as proof that the EU should reform.

But all the reasons the UK got into the EU in the first place still exist, only now their leverage for good trade deals is wounded. Will it cause the total collapse of the UK economy? Probably not. Will it get its supporters what they hoped it would? Almost certainly not.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Martin Hash wrote:All the dire predictions haven't come true, only good things are happening. When that reverses, get back to me.
Not true, the pound has fallen significantly already and we're not even close to leaving yet. Add to that the eventual divorce bill and the tariffs applied when the EU deal is rejected and we leave without trade deals in place and we will see a recession as bad as the credit crunch.
All as a result of feelz exploited by unscrupulous politicians and race baiting unelected pricks like Farage.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:All the dire predictions haven't come true, only good things are happening. When that reverses, get back to me.
Not true, the pound has fallen significantly already and we're not even close to leaving yet. Add to that the eventual divorce bill and the tariffs applied when the EU deal is rejected and we leave without trade deals in place and we will see a recession as bad as the credit crunch.
All as a result of feelz exploited by unscrupulous politicians and race baiting unelected pricks like Farage.
Weak pound? China wishes they had your problems.

p.s. Like I said, you're the expert on what you want for your country: I'll hang around watching.