Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile

Speaker to Animals

Re: Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:07 am

The bigger problem with cops, in my opinion, is that it tends to attract low-performing males who are at a higher risk of lashing out a sense of inferiority upon their fellow citizens.

I suspect most violence that is not predatory violent crime stems from low self-esteem of males who feel that they are less than. A cop has little education and doesn't make a shit ton of money like some other dudes he went to high school with. It's a noble profession and respectable, but our society worships mammon and he doesn't make the big bucks. Women chase after men they consider successful (most resources). You have a guy making maybe 50k per year, his wife took off and has him locked into child support slavery, and he has to pull over software engineers speeding in their Audis all day. When you couple that with the power to inflict state violence.. you have a recipe for abuse.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:08 am

brewster wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
brewster wrote:What survey or poll? This is from Bureau of Labor Statistics. When someone is killed at work it gets reported. Here's the full doc https://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfar0020.pdf
This doesn't make sense on the face of it. Logically there seem to be far more police than loggers. Risk may be inherently greater as a logger but I can appreciate that fact aside from the truth that pulling over people is deadly business.

Please explain why you are conflating this issue???
Oh jeez, seriously? We're not talking about raw numbers, but the rate, the likelihood of being killed. Yes, there's more cops, but a lumberjack is 6x more likely to be killed. The only reason I'm beating this to death is I hate "Big Lies" such as the one you repeated, like being a uniformed public servant is incredibly dangerous. It's not, and around here they make more than a lot of college grads.
The big lie imho is that the job is inherently less risk free than a loggers. On paper it looks good but loggers don't have to lock up your unruly tenants do they? You take them for granted imo my friend

brewster

Post by brewster » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:15 am

TheReal_ND wrote: The big lie imho is that the job is inherently less risk free than a loggers. On paper it looks good but loggers don't have to lock up your unruly tenants do they? You take them for granted imo my friend
Ah, you're in alternative fact territory. Sorry, I stop at the border.

StA: Here's an interesting map. I wonder how it correlates to police performance?

We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:17 am

The fix: make policing competitive (elite), which requires much higher compensation, but I would rather increase compensation than constantly increase "resources" to pay for more cops.

Cities are a different story. Those places are fucked and their police are basically organized crime as it is. I am talking about the sustainable parts of America.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:41 am

StA, for future reference, since this come up a lot, how do you define "city"? Density or municipality population? What are the numbers? For example, is a town of 100k a city or not? 50k? There's towns near me of 10k, that are among the densest in the country, so that is a tricky one.

Is it just my perception, or do these shooting happen far less in actual cities, especially given the population differences? My wife, the social worker with decades of experience serving the crazy of NYC, says there's very few incidents of police overreaction given the 400 calls a day for "emotionally disturbed person". That these incidents are the results of poor training would not be surprising.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:11 am

brewster wrote:StA, for future reference, since this come up a lot, how do you define "city"? Density or municipality population? What are the numbers? For example, is a town of 100k a city or not? 50k? There's towns near me of 10k, that are among the densest in the country, so that is a tricky one.

Is it just my perception, or do these shooting happen far less in actual cities, especially given the population differences? My wife, the social worker with decades of experience serving the crazy of NYC, says there's very few incidents of police overreaction given the 400 calls a day for "emotionally disturbed person". That these incidents are the results of poor training would not be surprising.

Nothing specific. I am talking about places like Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, etc. You can see these places and the source of our problems from any election map:

brewster

Post by brewster » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote: Nothing specific. I am talking about places like Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, etc. You can see these places and the source of our problems from any election map:
Ok, now I know. If your county voted D you're generally a "city". I'm sure there's some fascinating stats about how small a city needs to be to be R.

Source of your problems? You do realize that if you waved a wand and eliminated those blue spikes you take away the majority of economic activity of the country? And the source of all the federal aid flowing to Red America from Blue America.
This is a GDP cartogram of the US.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:09 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Umm... logging? Like on the reality TV? When was the last time you played Jewish tricks on poll brewskie?
Logging is really dangerous job. More so than any other job but I would say being a fisherman.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Display post

"Agree"

Hide post

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:The fix: make policing competitive (elite), which requires much higher compensation, but I would rather increase compensation than constantly increase "resources" to pay for more cops.

Cities are a different story. Those places are fucked and their police are basically organized crime as it is. I am talking about the sustainable parts of America.
Around here cops make 6 figures at base
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session