THE ERA OF TRUMP

Okeefenokee

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed May 09, 2018 5:47 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:You might think that politics and the political are basically the same thing, but they don't.
Arguing with post modernists is like trying to nail steam to the wall...
I wouldn't bother.

How many post modernists do you imagine we have here on this forum anyways?
I'm not arguing with them. Just keeping up to speed on the lingo. When they start talking about bringing about change through the democratic, it helps to know they mean rioting.

Not that they would ever own it, but lynch mobs and pogroms qualify as their democratic.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 pm

DBTrek wrote:
BjornP wrote:I don't "want" you to be wrong about something. You just are .
You write many long winded paragraphs on this claim without ever getting around to explaining what I'm wrong about.
So . . . either invent a new claim I never made to "correct", or get on with the business of citing what I'm wrong about.

Or, you know .. . just keep writing frustrated paragraph after frustrated paragraph oozing your raw emotions at me.
:lol:
You are wrong to state that it's possible for Europe to become Communist as a result of the US halting/reducing its trade with Europe.

That still too "long winded" for you?
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 09, 2018 9:39 pm

BjornP wrote: You are wrong to state that it's possible for Europe to become Communist as a result of the US halting/reducing its trade with Europe.

That still too "long winded" for you?
No, that was perfect.
There's a saying that goes "Birds of a feather flock together".
Likewise, there's a popular social adage here which espouses that 'You are the average of the five people you most associate with'.
Another way to view it might be Krage søger vel sin mage.

So trade alone probably won't lead to EU nations trending toward Communism.
However, heavily centralized governments, widely accepted surveillance and police powers, disdain for guns and personal wealth, Law of Jante, AND a possible scenario of cutting trade ties to US while embracing Iran and China . . . where exactly do you think you're headed? Take a long view, 500 years. You think the EU is likely to become *more* like America in the next 500 years, or more like China?

Obviously neither of us will be here to say "I told you so" - but look at the trends and think about it.
/shrug

Either way, it's an opinionated observation, not a statement of fact.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed May 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Communists dont practice open borders

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed May 09, 2018 11:32 pm

DBTrek wrote:
No, that was perfect.
There's a saying that goes "Birds of a feather flock together".
Likewise, there's a popular social adage here which espouses that 'You are the average of the five people you most associate with'.
Another way to view it might be Krage søger vel sin mage.

So trade alone probably won't lead to EU nations trending toward Communism.
However, heavily centralized governments, widely accepted surveillance and police powers, disdain for guns and personal wealth, Law of Jante, AND a possible scenario of cutting trade ties to US while embracing Iran and China . . . where exactly do you think you're headed? Take a long view, 500 years. You think the EU is likely to become *more* like America in the next 500 years, or more like China?

Obviously neither of us will be here to say "I told you so" - but look at the trends and think about it.
/shrug

Either way, it's an opinionated observation, not a statement of fact.
I can only hope we become less like America than we already are.

That, however, neither means "embracing" (the values of) China or Iran, just like you doing business with the Saudis means you adapt their values. Nor does it mean rejecting capitalism and/or liberal democracy. Those ideas were not introduced by the US, and the EU itself is decidely pro-capitalism. No European country has elected Communists to head their governments. They are politically marginalized. Similarly jantelov, centralization and less gun right don't lead to a rejection of liberal democracy and capitalism and are not expressions that are particular to Communism.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 pm

BjornP wrote:
Great news then, your hope is all but guaranteed.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed May 09, 2018 11:48 pm

DBTrek wrote:
BjornP wrote:
Great news then, your hope is all but guaranteed.
You don't agree with the points made following that isolated quote, then? Why?

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu May 10, 2018 7:17 am

Regardless of where Denmark winds up 500 years from now, I think it's safe to say that both they and the EU (should it survive) will not look anything like America.

You don't happen to think it will look like China, but you can only consolidate and expand government power over a disarmed and passive populace for so long until the differences are more cosmetic than material.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu May 10, 2018 7:39 am

DBTrek wrote:Regardless of where Denmark winds up 500 years from now, I think it's safe to say that both they and the EU (should it survive) will not look anything like America.

You don't happen to think it will look like China, but you can only consolidate and expand government power over a disarmed and passive populace for so long until the differences are more cosmetic than material.
Looking around the globe and wandering through history it appears to me that nations can't escape their history and really reinvent themselves. Look at China. China always has been a nation with a massive population and tyrants that will abuse the peasantry. It hardly matters whether it is a Ming or a Mao.

Likewise European nations were all Monarchies, and they still show all the signs of following whomever is at the head of the table. Few nations are made of Rebels, the US is one. We have extremely different characteristics.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu May 10, 2018 7:43 am

C-Mag wrote:
DBTrek wrote:Regardless of where Denmark winds up 500 years from now, I think it's safe to say that both they and the EU (should it survive) will not look anything like America.

Looking around the globe and wandering through history it appears to me that nations can't escape their history and really reinvent themselves. Look at China. China always has been a nation with a massive population and tyrants that will abuse the peasantry. It hardly matters whether it is a Ming or a Mao.

Likewise European nations were all Monarchies, and they still show all the signs of following whomever is at the head of the table. Few nations are made of Rebels, the US is one. We have extremely different characteristics.
Japan seems to be pretty good at reinventing itself, and "appropriating" the successful aspects of other cultures.