THE ERA OF TRUMP

DrYouth

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by DrYouth » Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 am

Trump ideology vs realpolitik...

This should get interesting.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 09, 2018 6:38 am

BjornP wrote:
DBTrek wrote:It’ll be something to behold.
Europe can make it’s choice - they still part of western Civ, or is Communism their next destination.
:dance:
Those dastardly Iranian Communists are a super real big threat to Western civilization. :D
Iran isn’t communist. China is. I was responding to the trade restriction scenario.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed May 09, 2018 7:22 am

DBTrek wrote:
BjornP wrote:
DBTrek wrote:It’ll be something to behold.
Europe can make it’s choice - they still part of western Civ, or is Communism their next destination.
:dance:
Those dastardly Iranian Communists are a super real big threat to Western civilization. :D
Iran isn’t communist. China is. I was responding to the trade restriction scenario.
Ah...well, I hate to be the one to point out which civilization came up with that whole Communism thing in the first place. And that China ain't exactly a planned economy these days.

That said, in terms of quality... I'd still prefer more American than Chinese trade.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 09, 2018 7:32 am

BjornP wrote: Ah...well, I hate to be the one to point out which civilization came up with that whole Communism thing in the first place. And that China ain't exactly a planned economy these days.
Indeed.

People who waste time pointing out common knowledge to others do come across as rather challenged, mentally. Like when someone talks about living in a democracy and that one guy always chimes in "Actually, America is a representative republic", or when a group is discussing koala bears and that one guy jumps in with "Actually, koala's are marsupials", it's extremely pointless and annoying. I think some people feel that others view them as especially smart or informed when they behave like this. In actuality, the rest of us generally view that person as someone insecure in their knowledge, who very badly wants the rest of us to think they're smart.
/shrug
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 am

They usually say something especially stupid, like "America is not a democracy but a republic", showing they have no idea what those words even mean.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Wed May 09, 2018 8:29 am

“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:They usually say something especially stupid, like "America is not a democracy but a republic", showing they have no idea what those words even mean.
Horse shit. If you want to repair franchise the first thing you have to do is stop pretending like this is supposed to be a democracy.

And koala bears aren't real. They're called drop bears.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 09, 2018 8:42 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:They usually say something especially stupid, like "America is not a democracy but a republic", showing they have no idea what those words even mean.
Horse shit. If you want to repair franchise the first thing you have to do is stop pretending like this is supposed to be a democracy.

You do not understand what these words mean, then.

America is BOTH a republic and a democracy (representative democracy).

The word republic means the government is a public matter rather than inherited.

America is a republic. China is a republic. Republic is not synonymous with representative democracy, and democracy is a more general term that encompasses both direct democracy and representative democracy.

People who keep repeating this nonsense seem to confuse republic with representative democracy and the broader term democracy with a particular term direct democracy.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

The word republic means the government is a public matter rather than inherited.

America is a republic. China is a republic. Republic is not synonymous with representative democracy, and democracy is a more general term that encompasses both direct democracy and representative democracy.

People who keep repeating this nonsense seem to confuse republic with representative democracy and the broader term democracy with a particular term direct democracy.
Then you are ceding ground to post modernists. That is the only place where this discussion even matters, and they would love to know that you have deemed this distinction to be meaningless.

I'll post some of their material later when I'm not on my phone.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 09, 2018 9:07 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

Then you are ceding ground to post modernists. That is the only place where this discussion even matters, and they would love to know that you have deemed this distinction to be meaningless.

I'll post some of their material later when I'm not on my phone.

I have ceded ground to the fucking dictionary, as it has existed since long before Karl Marx came along. The word republic literally only means the government is not inherited but is controlled somehow by the public. HOW it is controlled is another matter. America controls the republic via a democracy. Our form of democracy is a representative democracy.

Athens before the Spartans fucked their shit up was a direct democracy. Democracy and direct democracy are not synonymous. Direct democracies and representative democracies are both forms of democracies.

If I grab a banana from atop my fridge and say I want to eat this delicious banana, would you then say, "That's not a banana, that's food; a banana is a type of fruit!" That's basically what you are doing here when you confuse republic with representative democracy, and democracy with direct democracy.