Au Revoir, Paris Accord?

skankhunt42

Re: Au Revoir, Paris Accord?

Post by skankhunt42 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Who?

Oh, yeah, him... shit, dude, we gave you Wayne Gretzky, pay up. Rick Moranis you can have for free.
Ed Belfour is my favorite Canuck hockey player.

But we will take Moranis!
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Been watching the Lefties too long to bite on their latest scam, back in the 70's, in the wake of the New Dealers blowing themselves up in Vietnam and the associated rise of the Neo-Left, the Left shifted from being essentially a labour movement, to being this pseudo academic doomsday cult you see now, and their first ostensible doomsday, back in the 70's, was the "Coming Global Ice Age!", so with "Global Warming!", they've basically just migrated from one breathless overwrought extreme to the other. /shrugs.

Bear in mind, they had all sorts of "Climate Scientists!" back in the 70's too, and according to them, this is the Global Ice Age, right now.
If scientists believe an asteroid is coming to hit the Earth and they want to build a laser to destroy it, at what point does skepticism towards that become its own doomsday cult? If nothing happens, you can act like you knew all along even when you didn't, if catastrophe happens you can just be like, "Why'd you listen to me? I'm not a scientist!" Or everyone will be dead by then and no one can tell you you're wrong.

The way I see it: The consequences of being wrong about it happening and doing nothing are orders of magnitude greater than the consequences of thinking it's happening, and trying to do something about it, and being wrong.

I guess I'm just not smart enough to be a hard-nosed skeptic about these things, I don't feel qualified to dismiss the concerns of the world's scientists and intellectual elite, but then again I'm not a John Galt Superman.

Scepticism regarding a giant space rock we can see thrush a telescope? You need a better analogy..
Scepticism regarding shrinking glaciers you can see on Google Earth? John's analogy works well enough.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:11 pm

JohnDonne wrote:If scientists believe an asteroid is coming to hit the Earth and they want to build a laser to destroy it
Oh, don't fret, son, Right Wing Nutjob's gonna be twisting this Lefty doomsday shit back around on them, Military Industrial Complex no bid contracts to fight the coming doomsday, all over that shit like a Injun on a bottle whisky, no doubt, but we're not raising taxes to pay for it, we'll just take it out of the social program budget. See how that works?
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:And, bonus round; the devastation in the Global South will just give us more third world urchins to exploit, I could use a gardener actually, cheap.
Invest in companies producing mosquito nets so that when the great Canadian malaria epidemic hits you can cash in and buy another gas guzzling sports car. Win win........
Malaria Scmalaria, I've had all my shots. I can afford the gas too, don't fret, son.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:And, bonus round; the devastation in the Global South will just give us more third world urchins to exploit, I could use a gardener actually, cheap.
Invest in companies producing mosquito nets so that when the great Canadian malaria epidemic hits you can cash in and buy another gas guzzling sports car. Win win........
Malaria Scmalaria, I've had all my shots. I can afford the gas too, don't fret, son.
Gas? That's so 20th century man. Zoolander's gonna make you go electric
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Gas? That's so 20th century man. Zoolander's gonna make you go electric
20th century? Hell, Righty Wighties is the Kings of Virginie, Hoss, we aint even left the 19th century yet.

Georgia, except not full of Yankees, yeeeeehaaaaaw!

Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:41 pm

It could be the peak of civilization was 1972, the last time man stood on the moon. I'm okay with that.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Gas? That's so 20th century man. Zoolander's gonna make you go electric
20th century? Hell, Righty Wighties is the Kings of Virginie, Hoss, we aint even left the 19th century yet.
19th century? You'll be wanting one of these then...

Just make sure you run it on wood and not that filthy coal muck.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
19th century? You'll be wanting one of these then...

Just make sure you run it on wood and not that filthy coal muck.

Oh, sweet. I can hang my rebel flag from it too.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Martin Hash wrote:It could be the peak of civilization was 1972, the last time man stood on the moon. I'm okay with that.

Highly commended:

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Man-Moon-As ... n+the+Moon

Eugene Cernan was a unique American who came of age as an astronaut during the most exciting and dangerous decade of spaceflight. His career spanned the entire Gemini and Apollo programs, from being the first person to spacewalk all the way around our world to the moment when he left man's last footprint on the Moon as commander of Apollo 17.

Between those two historic events lay more adventures than an ordinary person could imagine as Cernan repeatedly put his life, his family and everything he held dear on the altar of an obsessive desire. Written with New York Times bestselling author Don Davis, The Last Man on the Moon is the astronaut story never before told - about the fear, love and sacrifice demanded of the few men who dared to reach beyond the heavens for the biggest prize of all - the Moon.