THE ERA OF TRUMP

Zlaxer

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Frankly, the way Trump is setting this up, the best option for offshoring to avoid the hit, is for steel consumers to shift more work to Canada and Mexico, where they can have their cake and eat it too, tariff free access to the American market while still being able to access cheaper foreign steel in the Canadian and Mexican markets.
Protectionist dumdums fail, somehow, to realize that their tariffs are what cause the offshoring of our manufacturing jobs.

And Free Trade didn't cause offshoring of manufacturing jobs? I mean, I guess since a whole industry was created to help offshore manufacturing, then Free Trade really created jobs :D

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Frankly, the way Trump is setting this up, the best option for offshoring to avoid the hit, is for steel consumers to shift more work to Canada and Mexico, where they can have their cake and eat it too, tariff free access to the American market while still being able to access cheaper foreign steel in the Canadian and Mexican markets.
Protectionist dumdums fail, somehow, to realize that their tariffs are what cause the offshoring of our manufacturing jobs.
Big Daddy Trump is the greatest President Canada has ever had.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 pm

The best one was the lumber duties, countervailing tariffs against Canadian lumber companies to pay American lumber companies, when the biggest Canadian lumber companies actually own more mills in the US than they do in Canada, so he's taking from them on our side of the border, but then paying out to them even more on the American side.

Big Daddy Trump, President of Canada.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm

I’m sure after failing to produce the desired results since the beginning of recorded history, THIS time reality will make tariffs work right!

:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Classic unintended consequences by perverse incentive, American politicians kept invoking lumber duties as cheap way to get votes, but they did it so often that the biggest Canadian lumber companies, which are some of the biggest in the world, simply starting buying up their competition in the US so that they would be able to collect the windfall profits from the tariffs.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm

They worked fine before the late 90s. Whatever.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:16 pm

This time history will get tariffs right.

This time artificially increasing prices will result in higher demand, in a first time ever violation of the supply/demand curve.

You’ll see. Politicians promised us.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Worked fine for who tho?

Lumber duties simply drive the price of houses up for the American consumer, big lumber companies on both sides of the border make out like bandits, and since the big companies are the ones who drive efficiencies by spending their big capital on automation, it's actually a net loss of jobs.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Speaking of lumber.

The amount of free lumber I'm getting off these construction sites ought to be illegal.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Once we finally crack this supply/demand curve, and get higher prices to equal higher demand, we’re all going to be kings!

“Hey everyone relying on steel, you buy American, or pay American prices for foreign steel. That’s a 20% increase”

“Hell yeah, I’ll take double my normal order!”

“Only double? Fine. We’re adding a 15% tariff on top of that!”

“Shit, TRIPLE my order, then!”

It’s going to be glorious guys. Just like before the 90s.